Job training days

I have friends who work in all different sectors and after having discussions with them found

1 the people I know in construction (employees/self employed)if undertaking any training do so and get paid as a normal working day

2 the people I know in the caring industry have to undertake training days on their days off (this could be just the company my mate works for)

whats other peoples thoughts on this ?

is that because it would leave their employers short staffed? so whats your thoughts ?

They would be short staffed or paying for another member of staff to take the place of the person doing the training. Construction can be delayed for training but people needing care need it 24 hours seven days per week.

They would be short staffed or paying for another member of staff to take the place of the person doing the training. Construction can be delayed for training but people needing care need it 24 hours seven days per week.
so if you worked in the caring industry you would be happy to undertake training on your day off?

most construction sites cant be delayed because the employer will incur penalty charges for being late to finish. we know people need 24 hour care and hear of how badly treated staff are by their employers. this seems to me to be another way employers are putting profit over looking after its staff what do you think ?

I have friends who work in all different sectors and after having discussions with them found

1 the people I know in construction (employees/self employed)if undertaking any training do so and get paid as a normal working day

2 the people I know in the caring industry have to undertake training days on their days off (this could be just the company my mate works for)

whats other peoples thoughts on this ?

It's wrong- people should be paid when they do compulsory training days.

Being short staffed is no excuse to making staff work on their days off on 'training days'. It's entirely predictable that staff will need to update their training yearly, so the employers should arrange their shifts accordingly.

Being short staffed is no excuse to making staff work on their days off on 'training days'. It's entirely predictable that staff will need to update their training yearly, so the employers should arrange their shifts accordingly.

I know we hardly see eye to eye on here at times but I think your right :thumbsup:

so if you worked in the caring industry you would be happy to undertake training on your day off?

most construction sites cant be delayed because the employer will incur penalty charges for being late to finish. we know people need 24 hour care and hear of how badly treated staff are by their employers. this seems to me to be another way employers are putting profit over looking after its staff what do you think ?

Construction can't be delayed???? You've never watched grand designs.

But no, training should be offered within the working week. Juggle some rosters for gods sake.

I would be surprised if staff are required to go on training days when it's their day off, unless it's in their contract. It's not saving money, it's costing more in overtime. I would imagine the majority of care providers would hold training days when they can get maximum amount of staff onto a course.