New secondary school to be built in South West of city

A new secondary school is planned for the South West of the city at Holt House off Abbeydale Road to accommodate rising birth rates. It may open in 2018 and could accommodate 1200 pupils with an eight-form entry structure.

I wonder what catchment area will be assigned for it if it goes ahead?

Another secondary is also planned for the North East at Burngreave.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/next-stage-begins-on-50m-new-schools-plan-for-sheffield-1-7372662

Didn't they knock down the Abbeydale Grange complex of 3 schools on Abbeydale Road.

Didn't do much to enhance whose level of achievement?

Probably schools like King Ecgberts and Silverdale, which have, unsurprisingly, seen their average results fall since being forced to take in lower achievers from poorer backgrounds from Abbeydale Grange.

Probably schools like King Ecgberts and Silverdale, which have, unsurprisingly, seen their average results fall since being forced to take in lower achievers from poorer backgrounds from Abbeydale Grange.

So these two schools were forced to take in 'lower achievers from poorer backgrounds from Abbeydale Grange' which resulted in their average results falling? This is remarkable, do you have any evidence of this?

To placate the concerned/snobby amongst us, this new school will serve the same catchment area as the current schools, while also potentially including the adjacent areas of Meersbrook and Abbey Lane, which won't create the same kind of drama the Abbeydale Grange saga did.

But let's not forget that Abbeydale Grange was once a school with extremely good results, whereas Silverdale was once seen as a less prestigious school. This changed when the catchment area for Abbeydale pulled in pupils from different areas of the city, and those pupils now attend Silverdale etc. There was a very interesting article about it in the Guardian several years ago - link below:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/sep/15/nickdavies

To put my non-snobby hat on, however, I wouldn't mind if catchment areas across the city were more mixed, but that's by the by...

So these two schools were forced to take in 'lower achievers from poorer backgrounds from Abbeydale Grange' which resulted in their average results falling? This is remarkable, do you have any evidence of this?

Yes, look at the average GCSE results since the Abbeydale Grange kids were allocated across them. Then look at the same results before. Last year was especially bad for King Ecgbert but the trend has been downwards since 2011.

---------- Post added 24-10-2015 at 20:19 ----------

To put my non-snobby hat on, however, I wouldn't mind if catchment areas across the city were more mixed, but that's by the by...

I would mind, I want the best education possible for my children.

Yes, look at the average GCSE results since the Abbeydale Grange kids were allocated across them. Then look at the same results before. Last year was especially bad for King Ecgbert but the trend has been downwards since 2011.

I won't look but I'll take your word that the average GCSE results for these schools are down. Are these two schools the only ones that have taken in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? If not, have you looked at the results from other schools?

Also, what further research have you done to come to the conclusion that the schools performance is as a result of taking in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? There may be other factors at play here but you seem so certain.

I won't look but I'll take your word that the average GCSE results for these schools are down. Are these two schools the only ones that have taken in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? If not, have you looked at the results from other schools?

Also, what further research have you done to come to the conclusion that the schools performance is as a result of taking in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? There may be other factors at play here but you seem so certain.

Abbeydale Grange used to get poor results. It's hardly a huge leap to suggest pupils from that school going into higher performing schools would reduce the average of them. It may not be politically correct to do so though, I'll grant you that.

Abbeydale Grange used to get poor results. It's hardly a huge leap to suggest pupils from that school going into higher performing schools would reduce the average of them. It may not be politically correct to do so though, I'll grant you that.

I'm having trouble understanding how this answers my questions. Are you saying that your conclusions are based on massive assumptions?

Abbeydale Grange closed in 2010. The youngest kids from there would enter other schools in their year 8 which means they have long since left secondary school and therefore there are no more 'Abbeydale Grange kids'. If there was a dip in average GCSE results in these schools due to 'Abbeydale Grange kids' then there should no longer be a problem.

Do you think you could display some courtesy and answer my questions so we can explore this further rather than just jump to conclusions?

---------- Post added 24-10-2015 at 20:19 ----------

I would mind, I want the best education possible for my children.

The new school would serve the current catchment, with a potential small spread into Meersbrook and Abbey Lane. Is that a problem?

Edited by amazon123

Who ever designed Farce Valley school wants sacking I wont say much else about the school lol

I'm having trouble understanding how this answers my questions. Are you saying that your conclusions are based on massive assumptions?

Abbeydale Grange closed in 2010. The youngest kids from there would enter other schools in their year 8 which means they have long since left secondary school and therefore there are no more 'Abbeydale Grange kids'. If there was a dip in average GCSE results in these schools due to 'Abbeydale Grange kids' then there should no longer be a problem.

Do you think you could display some courtesy and answer my questions so we can explore this further rather than just jump to conclusions?

Kids from more deprived backgrounds do worse at school. I'm not commenting on the morality of this but there's a lot of research that shows this is the case, which you're free to Google at your leisure. If you extend a catchment area of a school in such a way that it increases the proportion of children from poorer backgrounds, then it should not be a surprise when the average results drop. Instead of faux shock, your energy may be better spent helping to work out why children from poorer backgrounds get worse results and have higher absence rates, and what can be done to change it.

Kids from more deprived backgrounds do worse at school. I'm not commenting on the morality of this but there's a lot of research that shows this is the case, which you're free to Google at your leisure. If you extend a catchment area of a school in such a way that it increases the proportion of children from poorer backgrounds, then it should not be a surprise when the average results drop. Instead of faux shock, your energy may be better spent helping to work out why children from poorer backgrounds get worse results and have higher absence rates, and what can be done to change it.

Do you have a problem with the proposed new catchment, which is almost identical to current catchment, but with a small move into Meersbrook and Abbey Lane?