New secondary school to be built in South West of city

I won't look but I'll take your word that the average GCSE results for these schools are down. Are these two schools the only ones that have taken in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? If not, have you looked at the results from other schools?

Also, what further research have you done to come to the conclusion that the schools performance is as a result of taking in 'Abbeydale Grange kids'? There may be other factors at play here but you seem so certain.

Abbeydale Grange used to get poor results. It's hardly a huge leap to suggest pupils from that school going into higher performing schools would reduce the average of them. It may not be politically correct to do so though, I'll grant you that.

Abbeydale Grange used to get poor results. It's hardly a huge leap to suggest pupils from that school going into higher performing schools would reduce the average of them. It may not be politically correct to do so though, I'll grant you that.

I'm having trouble understanding how this answers my questions. Are you saying that your conclusions are based on massive assumptions?

Abbeydale Grange closed in 2010. The youngest kids from there would enter other schools in their year 8 which means they have long since left secondary school and therefore there are no more 'Abbeydale Grange kids'. If there was a dip in average GCSE results in these schools due to 'Abbeydale Grange kids' then there should no longer be a problem.

Do you think you could display some courtesy and answer my questions so we can explore this further rather than just jump to conclusions?

Yes, look at the average GCSE results since the Abbeydale Grange kids were allocated across them. Then look at the same results before. Last year was especially bad for King Ecgbert but the trend has been downwards since 2011.

---------- Post added 24-10-2015 at 20:19 ----------

I would mind, I want the best education possible for my children.

The new school would serve the current catchment, with a potential small spread into Meersbrook and Abbey Lane. Is that a problem?

Edited by amazon123

I'm having trouble understanding how this answers my questions. Are you saying that your conclusions are based on massive assumptions?

Abbeydale Grange closed in 2010. The youngest kids from there would enter other schools in their year 8 which means they have long since left secondary school and therefore there are no more 'Abbeydale Grange kids'. If there was a dip in average GCSE results in these schools due to 'Abbeydale Grange kids' then there should no longer be a problem.

Do you think you could display some courtesy and answer my questions so we can explore this further rather than just jump to conclusions?

Kids from more deprived backgrounds do worse at school. I'm not commenting on the morality of this but there's a lot of research that shows this is the case, which you're free to Google at your leisure. If you extend a catchment area of a school in such a way that it increases the proportion of children from poorer backgrounds, then it should not be a surprise when the average results drop. Instead of faux shock, your energy may be better spent helping to work out why children from poorer backgrounds get worse results and have higher absence rates, and what can be done to change it.

Kids from more deprived backgrounds do worse at school. I'm not commenting on the morality of this but there's a lot of research that shows this is the case, which you're free to Google at your leisure. If you extend a catchment area of a school in such a way that it increases the proportion of children from poorer backgrounds, then it should not be a surprise when the average results drop. Instead of faux shock, your energy may be better spent helping to work out why children from poorer backgrounds get worse results and have higher absence rates, and what can be done to change it.

Do you have a problem with the proposed new catchment, which is almost identical to current catchment, but with a small move into Meersbrook and Abbey Lane?

Do you have a problem with the proposed new catchment, which is almost identical to current catchment, but with a small move into Meersbrook and Abbey Lane?

No, I'll be glad when the new school is built, it will take pressure off the better schools in the rest of south west Sheffield, to better serve the areas they should be serving.

No, I'll be glad when the new school is built, it will take pressure off the better schools in the rest of south west Sheffield, to better serve the areas they should be serving.

I agree. It's a shame that some parts of the south west (such as Meersbrook) are currently unable to access the best secondaries, despite having excellent primaries, meaning they have no choice of secondary school and must attend a school like Newfield. On the other hand, areas that are further away from these "good" secondaries do get to access them: for instance Lowfield Primary feeds into King Ecgberts, despite being further away. This new school should (hopefully) rectify that.

So you're not going to answer my questions then? Fair enough.

Nice of you to lecture me on how to spend my energy without even knowing what I do for a living, thank you.