Offer of free update to windows 10

To be fair, your issues are sounding more and more like something dodgy going on with your specific machine than anything to do with Windows 10.

Hi, you could well be right - but where I did slip up was allowing the unused space on the Windows 7 drive (by that I mean free space on formatted C: ) to house backup files from the Windows 10 insider install. When I booted the last few days to the Windows 7 drive (the default drive in BIOS), it kept wanting to do chkdsk on Windows 10 (D: drive). Subsequently I am sending this response in Midori on Slitaz OS used by Comodo Rescue Disk! It appears a lot of the Windows 7 files needed to boot the OS have been put in 4 .found directories and hundreds of .chk files inside of those.

So at some point I will be utilising some/any/ or all of these:

http://ericphelps.com/uncheck/

http://ericphelps.com/uncheck/FileCHK.zip

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm

I have never had such a bizarre problem as this before and hope it won't be repeated.

I don't particularly want to lose 7, especially as I only recently paid for an update to CyberLinks Power2Go software to the current version and also finding out that Windows 10 (via CyberLink) won't be supporting BluRay drives! And I don't want to fork out another 70+ quid for software to allow BluRay DVD burner to work in 10!

Sure? I seem to remember something being said about w10 not allowing dual boot or something like that. Might be worth a search as im on the mobile atm.

Its actually no different to Windows 8.

The issue with dual-booting is that machines bought with Windows 10 pre-installed are not required to allow you to turn off secure boot, when Windows 8 machines it was.

So basically its a none-issue if you are careful to pick a new machine that does have that feature, have built your own machine or are upgrading an old machine.

Upgrading on the other hand doesn't seem to touch the boot procedure at all. When I upgraded my Windows 7 machine to 10, it made no difference to booting at all. The boot menu from Fedora is still there and it still says Windows 7, but boots Windows 10 now.

Hi, you could well be right - but where I did slip up was allowing the unused space on the Windows 7 drive (by that I mean free space on formatted C: ) to house backup files from the Windows 10 insider install. When I booted the last few days to the Windows 7 drive (the default drive in BIOS), it kept wanting to do chkdsk on Windows 10 (D: drive). Subsequently I am sending this response in Midori on Slitaz OS used by Comodo Rescue Disk! It appears a lot of the Windows 7 files needed to boot the OS have been put in 4 .found directories and hundreds of .chk files inside of those.

So at some point I will be utilising some/any/ or all of these:

http://ericphelps.com/uncheck/

http://ericphelps.com/uncheck/FileCHK.zip

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm

I have never had such a bizarre problem as this before and hope it won't be repeated.

I don't particularly want to lose 7, especially as I only recently paid for an update to CyberLinks Power2Go software to the current version and also finding out that Windows 10 (via CyberLink) won't be supporting BluRay drives! And I don't want to fork out another 70+ quid for software to allow BluRay DVD burner to work in 10!

That sounds odd considering: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window10-updates-center/enu/why_cyberlink.jsp

Edited by AlexAtkin

All i'll say is Upgrade and / or fresh install are available and installable for non legit copies of W7.. No if or buts .. fact !

I have legit Windows 7 but I don't want to go the free upgrade route - I can get it through work for £9 :D I'd rather do a fresh install as per moderator colleague advice who lives Stateside ;)

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 19:59 ----------

Its actually no different to Windows 8.

The issue with dual-booting is that machines bought with Windows 10 pre-installed are not required to allow you to turn off secure boot, when Windows 8 machines it was.

So basically its a none-issue if you are careful to pick a new machine that does have that feature, have built your own machine or are upgrading an old machine.

Upgrading on the other hand doesn't seem to touch the boot procedure at all. When I upgraded my Windows 7 machine to 10, it made no difference to booting at all. The boot menu from Fedora is still there and it still says Windows 7, but boots Windows 10 now.

That sounds odd considering: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window10-updates-center/enu/why_cyberlink.jsp

Hi Alex, that is because I was directed to a page for downloads, and obviously I can't post a screenshot here but they were touting ther Power2Go Director Software on the download page as a banner which stated that Windows 10 will not support BluRay natively and that you needed PowerDirector.

As stated above I will most likely (but in no rush) to buy Windows 10 for £9 through work. :D

Edited by swarfendor43

Not sure what to make of that comment but as i said you can do a fresh install on either legit or non legit copies and can download the installer for free from microsoft. why you would pay your work for someting thats gratis is beyond me tbh ... Smells troll :hihi:

Because the procedure for installing the free download requires you to download the iso with the correct check tool from M$ to vaiidate the SHA hash key, burn the disc, do the free upgrade then wipe 7 then install a fresh - I want to keep 7 due to recent software upgrades for my blu-ray player and have 10 on a separate drive - does that help you see more clearly? :P

As for trolling, I would not be on here doing that - I have much more better things than to do that - Trolls don't help people! :loopy:

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 20:20 ----------

Hi Alex, Sorry forgot to ask - how do you have your dual-boot set up and are you using GRUB as opposed to EasyBCD (Win 10 wanted to remove this when I tried to do a 'refresh' as the 'Store' is still broken! ;)

Hi Alex, Sorry forgot to ask - how do you have your dual-boot set up and are you using GRUB as opposed to EasyBCD (Win 10 wanted to remove this when I tried to do a 'refresh' as the 'Store' is still broken! ;)

SSD (MS-DOS Partition Scheme, Legacy Boot): [Fedora Root] [Fedora SWAP] [Fedora Home] [Windows]

Still using GRUB2 from Fedora, it didn't touch it during the upgrade at all which I admit I was surprised.

I'm wondering now if it didn't touch my boot procedure because I had already hit the 4 primary partition limit and so Windows 10 was unable to add the recovery partition and I do not have a boot partition either for it to fiddle with.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I'm still having problems with The Sims 4 though.

It seems every time I boot I have to fiddle with the permissions to get it to run.

Ive installed 10, four times in the last week only one was an upgrade as thats what was required. The only point im trying to make is that it can be done very easily without any hardwork legit or not , makes no difference. ;)

'

Can I just ask, you have carried-out three (3) 'clean' installs of Windows-10 on machines that have never been had an 'upgrade' install applied?

Have the machines been validated?

As I understand it, you can run a M$ operating system for a 90 day trial period without entering a validation key.

I haven't tried a clean install of W10 on a non-qualifying machine or new build, I assume it will either run for 90 days or just not install.

'

Can I just ask, you have carried-out three (3) 'clean' installs of Windows-10 on machines that have never been had an 'upgrade' install applied?

Have the machines been validated?

As I understand it, you can run a M$ operating system for a 90 day trial period without entering a validation key.

I haven't tried a clean install of W10 on a non-qualifying machine or new build, I assume it will either run for 90 days or just not install.

Hi Mikes10, AlexAtkin posted the article that states the way forward and indicates that you have to do the upgrade first before installing cleanly if going the 'free' route.

I would just rather pay £9 for Win 10 on a separate drive and leave my Windows 7 intact as well! ;):D

Hi Mikes10, AlexAtkin posted the article that states the way forward and indicates that you have to do the upgrade first before installing cleanly if going the 'free' route.

I would just rather pay £9 for Win 10 on a separate drive and leave my Windows 7 intact as well! ;):D

I fully understand the upgrade and clean install requirements of W10, but from the post #91 by Lecro, he/she implies product keys

are not required, or it is me misinterpreting what as been written. So I would like Lecro to answer my query.

the free upgrade Ties the hardware into MS. once upgraded, you can format and reinstall W10 and skip all the key stuff. W10 then 'dials home' and validates your hardware.

If you swap out the mobo, for example, thats where you will need a key. This is why you need to upgrade first then you can do a clean install as it uses the hardware to validate....

or buy a W10 key so you can do what you wish!

My Win10-VM is now compromised due to this Hardware Key req. Too bad [for me]!

I originally had a really nice performing Win10-VM. Changed the location of Oracle's VBox profiles and re-created the Win10-VM using the same vdi.

Now Windows thinks that there's been a hardware change and..... I guess it'll fail on me after 90 days. So... Win7 or Win10? Looks like Win7 on my Host machine and Win everything except 10 on my VM guests.

That's 2, count'em, yes 2 Win10 failures for me. Clearly I will not be having it anywhere near my main working/production PC.