Offer of free update to windows 10

Im using windows 7, have tried to do the upgrade and its failed 4 times now.

My windows 7 is fully legit and activated, yet the upgrade keeps failing.

Probably just going to keep win 7..

You may be better downloading the ISO from Microsoft and upgrading from that.

But the free upgrade is only that free to upgrade, a fresh install is not an upgrade so a key is needed.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 14:43 ----------

When upgrading the new key is stored either in the UEFI bios or on a new separate partition. If one is not present then Windows 10 now creates a new EFI 500mb partition at the end of the drive which is also encrypted. Apparently after upgrading this contains details of the OS and other stuff to allow the making of a full install disk.

I noticed that some new hard drives now also contain a 200mb EFI hidden partition for the same reason.

Once the upgrade to 10 has been successfully completed and activated, you can wipe the hard drive on that PC or replace it with another empty drive and do a fresh install.

A bootable installation DVD or usb stick can be created from the ISO using the media creation tool, during the clean install you will be prompted two or three times to enter a product key, just click on 'Skip' or 'Do this later'.

When the insallation is complete the fresh install will be automatically activated by M$.

Once the upgrade to 10 has been successfully completed and activated, you can wipe the hard drive on that PC or replace it with another empty drive and do a fresh install.

A bootable installation DVD or usb stick can be created from the ISO using the media creation tool, during the clean install you will be prompted two or three times to enter a product key, just click on 'Skip' or 'Do this later'.

When the insallation is complete the fresh install will be automatically activated by M$.

Yes you are right. I think the confusion is that some are not upgrading first and are trying to install it by just making a bootable ISO. If you do it that way then it will ask for a product code and you are not given the opportunity to skip.

Wiping the hard drive is fine as the EFI partition cant normally be easily deleted. Not sure about replacing with a new drive though as that's the idea of having the EFI partition, and Microsoft are a bit sensitive now about swapping hardware after installation.

Windows 10 is worth the upgrade, the pc will run much better depending whether or not you do a clean install or an update, but in long run will most likely worth your while unless you're just a general user and completely happy with just using windows 7

To be fair, your issues are sounding more and more like something dodgy going on with your specific machine than anything to do with Windows 10.

Sure? I seem to remember something being said about w10 not allowing dual boot or something like that. Might be worth a search as im on the mobile atm.

I like it. Its not wildly different to 7 and has some nice new features and I've not had any problems so far. Take the plunge. As for being tech savie, not sure I see the need, it just installed without any issues. i think I clicked 3 buttons throughout the process. Of course that may not always be the case.

How is it not supported under 10? most hardware in the last 10 years is supported out of the box, and newer hardware will have windows 10 drivers (if not yet, then soon)

What card is it you have got?

the graphics are on board i have bought a nvidia quadro 600 its pci express x16 fitting it has good reviews for highend 3d work,has display port and dvi out puts,all drivers are available.

have installed windows 10 and my network of three computers is once again working, the old set up was one 7 and two xp only the xps would talk to each other.