Where was Wimpy burger in Sheffield?

We live about 30 miles away from Barnstaple and I've seen this Wimpy on the High Street. Did you go in, what was it like ... we've often thought of venturing in there. From memory on the one on Fargate in the 70's, they use to toast the buns and were far superior to the likes of McDonalds and Burger King? Hope you enjoyed your holiday in Devon.?

The holiday in Devon has been great and I envy you living in this part of the world.

However, as for the Wimpy on Barnstaple high Street I can't say the same. Nostalgia can be a powerful and terrible thing. The reality was a busy and cramped place with ordinary food that was astronomically expensive for what it was. We had two basic meals which in a McDonalds would have been no more that £10. The Wimpy price was over £18!

Nevertheless, Barnstaple is a great place to visit for shopping and the Lemon Next To The Pie cafe is far, far better.

The holiday in Devon has been great and I envy you living in this part of the world.

However, as for the Wimpy on Barnstaple high Street I can't say the same. Nostalgia can be a powerful and terrible thing. The reality was a busy and cramped place with ordinary food that was astronomically expensive for what it was. We had two basic meals which in a McDonalds would have been no more that £10. The Wimpy price was over £18!

Nevertheless, Barnstaple is a great place to visit for shopping and the Lemon Next To The Pie cafe is far, far better.

If you are down our way in the future, the Watergate on the quay (Wetherspoons) is the place in the centre of Barnstaple. Not far from there is a waterside village called Appledore, nr Bideford, opposite the resort of Instow, probably the best fish and chips I have tasted in the west country and at £3.70 for a mini fish and chips, probably one of the cheapest. The fish fryer has a Donny accent, sound chap, so he has to know what he's doing!! Google 'The Royal Plaice' at Appledore, nr Bideford. Not many good chippys down here, still there is nothing to compare with Fergy's at Woodseats though, proper fish cakes, ha, ha!! We have something similar to Sheffield fishcakes down here, usually called a fish scallop or scon.

Remember one in Rotherham in the 60s.

Is it true that they were named after the character in Popeye ?

That would be J. Wellington Wimpy. Always stuffing a hamburger in his mouth.

Also the reason the Vickers Wellington bomber was nicknamed the "Wimpy".

I recall the meals, not just the burgers, being generally tasteless without ketchup or mustard liberally applied. The best thing about Wimpy was the extended opening hours and the knowledge that wherever there was a Wimpy what you got would be consistent. Not great, but not awful which, in an era when eating in an unfamiliar cafe or restaurant could be risky, was a distinct bonus.

I remember being in Leeds one Sunday in the late sixties and there were only two places open serving lunch, Wimpy and some local variety on the theme. We went in the local version and I had a mixed grill. You could have hammered nails in with the pork chop and the knife wouldn't go through the sausage which was carbonised the whole way through. The Wimpy would have at least been edible.

Here's another picture of the one on Fargate showing it in context. I think it's the same site that later became MacDonald's Burger King.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23312&prevUrl=

Edited by Nagel

When I was around 16 I had a weekend job in the one on Fargate..worked there for a couple of years..

One of the most cherished memories from my childhood is being regularly taken to the Wimpy on Fargate by my big sister.

Richard

I am sure there was a Wimpy on Chapel Walk :)

Here's another picture of the one on Fargate showing it in context. I think it's the same site that later became MacDonald's Burger King.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23312&prevUrl=

Just a few million pounds, and I reckon we could have Fargate looking as nice as that again.

:hihi:

In my opinion Wimpy were far superior to the crap we have dished up today from McDonalds and Burger King. At least the tv adverts for Wimpy gave a true reflection on what you were to expect ... the McDonalds ad, complete with its enormous burger stuffed with salad is a joke! Have you seen the people who frequent McDonalds ... quite frankly, from the look of them, they should be eating more healthily and stuffing their faces with fatty meat patties.

Wimpy bar was on pinstone street I used to work there.

The one on Fargate was probably the first place I went for a "sit down" meal.