Supertram Bus link

I don't think the diagrams of the tram network that are on the trams help the situation. They seem to imply that these bus lines are almost part of the tram network. I've never used them but I assumed they were somehow seamless in how they interconnected with the tram.

But if you may have to wait half an hour for one then they are actually not much better than any other bus that happens to meet or cross the tram line at some point.

Due to todays journey times being almost the same as when the system opened 20+ years ago the trams are much busier and the congestionis a lot worse the trams struggle to maintain the timetable , I think a new timetable will be introduced next year when the new trams are ready which will allow longer journey times .

Due to todays journey times being almost the same as when the system opened 20+ years ago the trams are much busier and the congestionis a lot worse the trams struggle to maintain the timetable , I think a new timetable will be introduced next year when the new trams are ready which will allow longer journey times .

There won't be a new timetable until the tram train project happens (apparently)

Can you please explain where either Stagecoach Yorkshire or Supertram claim there is always a bus to meet a tram? I don't know about you but when travelling I check timetables before I set off to make sure I'm not going to be stranded. If I'm going to be travelling late at night I'm especially careful to make sure I don't miss the last bus before I make any plans.

I'm not sure why we seem to live in a society now where everything needs explaining to people. We have a responsibility to look after ourselves, if we don't check the times of the last bus and miss it then it's our problem. It isn't the bus companies responsibility.

Its the same as people who complain about the tram not waiting for them. The tram runs to a timetable and if you miss it then you should have been at the stop on time. People stand there moaning when there's often another tram less than ten minutes away. Take responsibility for yourself.

I could not disagree with you more. It`s called the Supertram Link bus. What is it about that name which implies it connects with, and is an extension of, the Supertram, I really can`t imagine....... As it happens my wife was caught out by this, she caught the last but one tram and there was no bus to meet it. And she wasn`t on her own, there were three others there in the same boat. And guess what, there was a taxi hanging about the P&R at that time, I wonder why that is ? Could it be that people regularly fall for the same thing ? In my view people have every right to moan, in fact I`d go further, the more people who complain to Supertram the better. Supertram / Stagecoach should either put on another bus to connect with the last tram, or make it absolutely clear that the Supertram link is not in fact a, err, Supertram link......

---------- Post added 27-10-2016 at 21:56 ----------

I don't think the diagrams of the tram network that are on the trams help the situation. They seem to imply that these bus lines are almost part of the tram network. I've never used them but I assumed they were somehow seamless in how they interconnected with the tram.

But if you may have to wait half an hour for one then they are actually not much better than any other bus that happens to meet or cross the tram line at some point.

Exactly.........

Edited by Justin Smith

I looked on the tram diagrams on the way to work this morning. On a tram the diagram which shows the supertram link is in a different colour (black) and is not a solid line to differentiate them from the main routes. In addition in the key it clearly states that customers should check the relevant link bus timetable.

I'm not sure what else you would expect them to do? There isn't room enough to print the entire timetable, so perhaps they should just remove the references entirely?

I looked on the tram diagrams on the way to work this morning. On a tram the diagram which shows the supertram link is in a different colour (black) and is not a solid line to differentiate them from the main routes. In addition in the key it clearly states that customers should check the relevant link bus timetable.

I'm not sure what else you would expect them to do? There isn't room enough to print the entire timetable, so perhaps they should just remove the references entirely?

Maybe take it off the maps so it doesn't mislead or make it look less like a tramline. If there isn't room to explain it properly then don't bother adding it to a diagram to try to make it look (at least to the casual observer stood on a busy tram) like a tramline that's in operation only part of the time (like some bits of the Undergound used to have dotted lines). It's not a tram it's a bus and from what users are saying it seems it isn't that frequent or convenient some of the time.

Can you please explain where either Stagecoach Yorkshire or Supertram claim there is always a bus to meet a tram? I don't know about you but when travelling I check timetables before I set off to make sure I'm not going to be stranded. If I'm going to be travelling late at night I'm especially careful to make sure I don't miss the last bus before I make any plans.

I'm not sure why we seem to live in a society now where everything needs explaining to people. We have a responsibility to look after ourselves, if we don't check the times of the last bus and miss it then it's our problem. It isn't the bus companies responsibility.

Its the same as people who complain about the tram not waiting for them. The tram runs to a timetable and if you miss it then you should have been at the stop on time. People stand there moaning when there's often another tram less than ten minutes away. Take responsibility for yourself.

I looked at the info on the tramstop this morning :

Supertram Link buses provide a dedicated connection from Supertram to Stocksbridge & Stannington and are operated by Stagecoach Sheffield [stagecoach also operate the Supertrams]. Services are scheduled to meet up with the tram and through ticketing is available.

I think that not only implies it, it actually says it. In my view the fact that implies all trams have a bus to meet up with them is bad enough, but actually some trams have no bus to meet them at all, so the info is totally misleading and unacceptable.

Edited by Justin Smith

Maybe take it off the maps so it doesn't mislead or make it look less like a tramline. If there isn't room to explain it properly then don't bother adding it to a diagram to try to make it look (at least to the casual observer stood on a busy tram) like a tramline that's in operation only part of the time (like some bits of the Undergound used to have dotted lines). It's not a tram it's a bus and from what users are saying it seems it isn't that frequent or convenient some of the time.

It is dotted.

It is dotted [the Supertram link bus route on the map].

Isn`t that to indicate it`s a bus, not a tram ? That`s certainly the obvious implication.

Isn`t that to indicate it`s a bus, not a tram ? That`s certainly the obvious implication.

Seen as the purple route between cathedral and Meadowhall is also dotted as it only operates on a Sunday and as mentioned by a previous poster that it has traditionally been used to signify part time running I would suggest that it's designed to imply that there is a difference between the main tram routes and the links. It's encouraged to make you look at the key where it clearly states you should check the timetable for the link buses.

Of course if it's such a problem for you maybe you should get in touch with supertram and make your concerns known to somebody who can do something.

Seen as the purple route between cathedral and Meadowhall is also dotted as it only operates on a Sunday and as mentioned by a previous poster that it has traditionally been used to signify part time running I would suggest that it's designed to imply that there is a difference between the main tram routes and the links. It's encouraged to make you look at the key where it clearly states you should check the timetable for the link buses.

Of course if it's such a problem for you maybe you should get in touch with supertram and make your concerns known to somebody who can do something.

I did, it said this :

Supertram Link buses provide a dedicated connection from Supertram to Stocksbridge & Stannington and are operated by Stagecoach Sheffield [stagecoach also operate the Supertrams]. Services are scheduled to meet up with the tram and through ticketing is available.

I have complained to Supertram. As previously stated I think it particularly unfortunate that there is no connecting bus at all for the last two trams. I wonder what would happen if some poor girl got assaulted because she had to walk home ? I suspect all hell would break loose.

I did, it said this :

I have complained to Supertram. As previously stated I think it particularly unfortunate that there is no connecting bus at all for the last two trams. I wonder what would happen if some poor girl got assaulted because she had to walk home ? I suspect all hell would break loose.

I can't see anything of the sort on the link timetable: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1496

Stagecoach operate a commercial service, there is no subsidy for supertram which recieves no government funding and the link buses are not subsidised either. You cannot expect them to operate a service which isn't commercially viable.

You should also complain to your local MP about the government cuts to funding and the PTE for a lack of subsidy.

People should take their own responsibility for getting home, they should check the timetable before they leave the house and plan how they are going to get back. It is not the responsibility of a privately run company to run a loss making service for those who don't care of themselves.