Fat Pride or no Pride?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the butt of many a joke but im lucky in that it didnt effect me too negatively and only seemed to increase my resolve to do things like other people could. In the end i was better than lots of my piers at things i was told id never be able to do so no, i dont know that as a result of my disabilities.

If i was called a name id call one back, if i was picked on physically id hit them with my crutch. I was a resilient lad and never considered my abuse to be hate speech. I just got on with things. Today though we have groups of people wanting the hate speech label to apply to anyone calling larger or obese people names.

Im just asking if people agree with this.

I will say though, thanks. Yours is the only sensible reply ive had and i appreciate it

The issue isn't who or what you are or how you dealt with it..we all deal with stuff differently simply because we are different. The issue is how someone perceives you simply because of what they see and not what they know. it's THEIR issue simply because of prejudice. You can't negate prejudice simply because you were able to shrug it off, otherwise prejudice, bigotry etc would simply be defined by how able you are to shrug.

The issue isn't who or what you are or how you dealt with it..we all deal with stuff differently simply because we are different. The issue is how someone perceives you simply because of what they see and not what they know. it's THEIR issue simply because of prejudice. You can't negate prejudice simply because you were able to shrug it off, otherwise prejudice, bigotry etc would simply be defined by how able you are to shrug.

I wasnt negating anything. Like i pointed out, i was lucky in being able to deal with people and in no way was it intended as a yardstick as to how others should.

Can i take it from your reply you are in favour of it being labelled hate speech?

I presume the OP sees obesity as something that is within the person's own control, and they can therefore 'be shamed' into doing something to reverse it.

If only it were that simple.

Doctors now know that it is a lot more complex than just calories in = energy out, and are starting to do more extensive research into the problem.

But as for the original question, I don't think anyone should 'have the right' to be rude to anyone.

I'll answer you...

No, I don't think it is the same, at all!

Aside from those who suffer medically with their weight, the majority of overweight people are overweight because of too many calories going into their mouths and not doing enough exercise..

Being black / gay / disabled isn't a choice and the abuse these folk get is appalling..

If you are fat and you don't like being called names then lose weight!! eat less, move more.

I'll answer you...

No, I don't think it is the same, at all!

Aside from those who suffer medically with their weight, the majority of overweight people are overweight because of too many calories going into their mouths and not doing enough exercise..

Being black / gay / disabled isn't a choice and the abuse these folk get is appalling..

If you are fat and you don't like being called names then lose weight!! eat less, move more.

I've asked this question before on this thread, but I'll ask it again. Why is there the need to insult anyone?

Some of us are overweight because of our disabilities you know ;) In my case it's really hard to exercise when I've only got one working limb, and the thyroid problems, steroids and other medications which cause weight gain as a side effect mean that after months on

1250 calories a day I have lost absolutely no weight at all.

Some of us are overweight because of our disabilities you know ;) In my case it's really hard to exercise when I've only got one working limb, and the thyroid problems, steroids and other medications which cause weight gain as a side effect mean that after months on

1250 calories a day I have lost absolutely no weight at all.

I understand that medusa - and I have already said aside from those with weight issues through medical reasons the majority of overweight people are just lazy and surely cannot expect to feel victimised the same as someone who is abused because of their race/sex/disability.

Absolutely not.

Adults should know better, but I know from experience schools come down harder on racism than any other form of name calling. Does not help at all at a younger age being taught one group is more important than another. Creates resentment later on!