First bus left girl at bus stop.

At the start of my shift I have plenty of change. £5 in 10p's, £5 in 20p's and £15 in pound coins. This is all my own money, which I choose to carry to make my job easier, should result in not having to issue credit notes, not running out of change, but it still happens.

A couple of days ago, I was about an hour into my shift when I was down to my last 60p in change, everyone seemed to be getting on with £5 and £10 notes.

It came to the last of my change and a passenger gets on my bus, presented a £5 note for a £1.80 fare. I politely explained I didn't have enough change. She demanded to know why not, and I explained to her what happened, how much change I had to start with and that every one seems to be getting on with notes.

She turned nasty, shouting I should carry more change at the start then. Surely everyone can see that the £25 in change is way more than i'm expected to carry.

When I first started about 3 years ago, I was offered a float of £5 from the company, I refused that and decided to carry my own float, that way I would not owe the company any money when I left, and I could decide what float I carry.

All we ask is that if you know you are catching a bus, then try to have the correct change available, or near as damn it, or don't go crazy when we try to offer you a credit note.

... or maybe if we had bus conductors? :huh:

How about you did some investigation and travel around in other developed countries and cities so you better learn to understand this matter.

Guest busdriver1
That is bad luck, must have been an extreme case. If you recognise that and get a 17 year girl late in the evening why not let her on free on humane grounds as an exception and ask her kindly to have the change next time.

Instead of balking you got no change for her and kick her off that time of night.

Is that what I did or are you conveniently crossing two posts over to add to your case?

How about you did some investigation and travel around in other developed countries and cities so you better learn to understand this matter.

:hihi:

I would but I think I've missed the bus... :D

Guest busdriver1
At the start of my shift I have plenty of change. £5 in 10p's, £5 in 20p's and £15 in pound coins. This is all my own money, which I choose to carry to make my job easier, should result in not having to issue credit notes, not running out of change, but it still happens.

A couple of days ago, I was about an hour into my shift when I was down to my last 60p in change, everyone seemed to be getting on with £5 and £10 notes.

It came to the last of my change and a passenger gets on my bus, presented a £5 note for a £1.80 fare. I politely explained I didn't have enough change. She demanded to know why not, and I explained to her what happened, how much change I had to start with and that every one seems to be getting on with notes.

She turned nasty, shouting I should carry more change at the start then. Surely everyone can see that the £25 in change is way more than i'm expected to carry.

When I first started about 3 years ago, I was offered a float of £5 from the company, I refused that and decided to carry my own float, that way I would not owe the company any money when I left, and I could decide what float I carry.

All we ask is that if you know you are catching a bus, then try to have the correct change available, or near as damn it, or don't go crazy when we try to offer you a credit note.

Sorry that is far to difficult a concept for some to grasp.

What? Take some responsibility for their own actions? GET REAL

Sorry that is far to difficult a concept for some to grasp.

What? Take some responsibility for their own actions? GET REAL

I'm obviously in agreement with your side of the argument but...

... I wonder how the bus companies would feel about accepting credit notes from passengers? :huh:

Just thought I'd throw that one in there! ;)

Guest busdriver1
Then you would have everyone trying it on, purposely not having the right change, either not enough, or larger amounts than is reasonable...

it just not possible from a business' perspective.

That is a point that many miss out on.

Buses in the UK outside london are businesses and have the obligations that go with that. We used to have bus services in the UK like they have in europe but they were sold off and are now private.

---------- Post added 27-06-2015 at 14:48 ----------

I'm obviously in agreement with your side of the argument but...

... I wonder how the bus companies would feel about accepting credit notes from passengers? :huh:

Just thought I'd throw that one in there! ;)

As mobile units buses are not able to make any promises as to the availability of change. They are not in a position to know exactly when and where passengers will board or what change they may or may not have.

Passengers however generally DO know where and when they will be travelling and also generally know what the cost will be......

Could you go into Tesco and ask for credit?

As mobile units buses are not able to make any promises as to the availability of change. They are not in a position to know exactly when and where passengers will board or what change they may or may not have.

Passengers however generally DO know where and when they will be travelling and also generally know what the cost will be......

Could you go into Tesco and ask for credit?

So why don't they just put up a sign saying 'No change given'? :huh:

That would soon put an end to all this malarky! :|

Guest busdriver1
So why don't they just put up a sign saying 'No change given'? :huh:

That would soon put an end to all this malarky! :|

Some areas have that and surprisingly people manage to have the right change there. That has not been suggested here but can you imagine the outcry?

Change is given subject to availability would go some way.

Some areas have that and surprisingly people manage to have the right change there. That has not been suggested here but can you imagine the outcry?

Well it makes sense to me... :D

For those who 'don't know the fare': maximum single (according to the FSY website) is £2.30 - I don't think it is THAT hard to have £2.50 in change, even if it is 1 x £2.00 coin and 1 x 50p coin.