Hackenthorpe woman sleeping rough

Saw a woman on birley spa lane tonight who was clearly sleeping rough she had a dog with her and was carrying a load of carrier bags and draging a flight case behind her, she was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a grey huddy with a khaki coulered jacket she did not look in good health,I have reported this to the police and I think if anyone sees this woman they should also contact the police just to inform them of her whereabouts as i think she might need some help,I think she was heading down on to shirebrook valley to sleep rough for the night

And this is 2015 and here I am with a comfortable life, but feeling really sorry for this person and all the folks whose life will get no better under what now looks like another Conservative government. You Tories can say what you like, but this totally divided society both in Sheffield and nationally is a disgrace and it's not going to change !!

Saw a woman on birley spa lane tonight who was clearly sleeping rough she had a dog with her and was carrying a load of carrier bags and draging a flight case behind her, she was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a grey huddy with a khaki coulered jacket she did not look in good health,I have reported this to the police and I think if anyone sees this woman they should also contact the police just to inform them of her whereabouts as i think she might need some help,I think she was heading down on to shirebrook valley to sleep rough for the night

Thats so sad. I live in that area. Ill keep an eye out for her.

Involving the police was a terrible idea though.

And this is 2015 and here I am with a comfortable life, but feeling really sorry for this person and all the folks whose life will get no better under what now looks like another Conservative government. You Tories can say what you like, but this totally divided society both in Sheffield and nationally is a disgrace and it's not going to change !!
yet she has the luxury of a dog. Why do the worst off seem to have dogs?

yet she has the luxury of a dog. Why do the worst off seem to have dogs?

Company? protection? Because they have absolutely nothing or no one and a dog will give them loyalty and love?

Do you begrudge them that?

You know nothing about this woman and why she is in the position that she is in, yet link it to a (likely) Conservative government.

Ridiculous.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but if the dog comes at the expense of feeding oneself, then yes. What opened my eyes to it was years ago a beggar at the bottom of Fargate asked us for money. One of my lads who was still at primary school asked how he managed to keep and feed a dog, and yet begs money for a dinner. I couldn't answer.

Before people condemn my lad, he has since shown himself to be a very empathetic and compassionate person, with this having been emphasised in all his school reports. But he has a very practical approach to situations.

Also, we've never had pets, so maybe cannot see a pet as a necessity.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but if the dog comes at the expense of feeding oneself, then yes. What opened my eyes to it was years ago a beggar at the bottom of Fargate asked us for money. One of my lads who was still at primary school asked how he managed to keep and feed a dog, and yet begs money for a dinner. I couldn't answer.

Before people condemn my lad, he has since shown himself to be a very empathetic and compassionate person, with this having been emphasised in all his school reports. But he has a very practical approach to situations.

Also, we've never had pets, so maybe cannot see a pet as a necessity.

Your lad had the excuse of being primary school age? What's yours? :)

Dogs will happily eat rotten meat and food out of bins- does your "if the dog comes at the expense of feeding oneself" imply that the owner should do the same? If not, then the dogs not coming at the expense of the owner feeding him/her self.

Dogs can also attract a bit of extra sympathy from that small portion of the public who care about things other than themselves, so that extra cash could not only feed the dog, but leave a little left over for the owner.

Your lad had the excuse of being primary school age? What's yours? :)
What do I need to be excused for? .. to try to answer on your terms ... my excuse is being a person. With that goes having opinions, sometimes good, sometimes bad. If they are bad, your job is to then convince me otherwise and let me see the error of my ways. If you cannot do that, then maybe your opinion is wrong also, and you need an excuse ... I dunno

Dogs will happily eat rotten meat and food out of bins- does your "if the dog comes at the expense of feeding oneself" imply that the owner should do the same? If not, then the dogs not coming at the expense of the owner feeding him/her self.
fair point if that is so, I assume you have extensive dog experience to be able to state it so factually.

Dogs can also attract a bit of extra sympathy from that small portion of the public who care about things other than themselves, so that extra cash could not only feed the dog, but leave a little left over for the owner.
mmm .. I've often thought the dog acts as an advertising banner, inviting donations where the general public have little sympathy with the person, but feel sorry for the dog.

Further question, why are the dogs usually well-fed pedigrees, not scrawny mutts?

i think you are all jumping to conclusions, She and a lot of the so called homeless choose ( i dont mean all) to be like that, it my have been sensible to have had a word with her.

fair point if that is so, I assume you have extensive dog experience to be able to state it so factually.

I've got more experience than you, as you've never had pets. And yes, I can state it factually as I've seen dogs eat all kinds of rubbish, including, on occasion, dog sh*t :)

Further question, why are the dogs usually well-fed pedigrees, not scrawny mutts?

Personally, I've not seen homeless people with pedigrees, generally they have mongrels.

If a homeless person did have a pedigree, that would be compatible with that homeless person previously having a home/job and thus being able to afford said pedigree, then falling into bad circumstances and losing the home/job, but, due to caring about their dog, keeping it.

As for them being well fed, I do agree that most homeless people with dogs do seem to look after them well, but that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I suspect that the majority of homeless people probably have a fairly low opinion of humanity in general- when people have seen the worst in humans, they often see a lot in animals, dogs in particular, as, unlike most humans, they are sincere, uncomplicated and loyal.

Imagine if you'd been less fortunate, and found yourself rejected by society, let down by social support systems, and had to live, alone, on the streets, drinking alcohol as the only way to deal with the incessant cold at night. I think then you'd much better appreciate the value of a warm loyal dog that asks nothing of you other than some affection and a few scraps of waste food.

great things these forums--people really tell the truth about themselves--like a lot of forumers they can be really nasty without knowing a thing about anything but have an opinion about everything and everyone ---the price of free speech!