Oliver Coppard to win sheffield hallam?

Do you vote for the millionaire in the red tie, the millionaire in the blue tie or the millionaire in the yellow tie. Sometimes I think that's all that's different between the three.

I doubt whether Coppard is a millionaire. Clegg certainly is. Moreover, Clegg has never had a proper job, having been shoehorned into one privileged position after another in his pre-Hallam days, largely thanks to his connections. Of course, you can't blame him for having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, or for having strings pulled for him, but I think it does go some way to explaining why he is such a bland political lightweight with such a well developed sense of political and personal entitlement.

Edited by NigelFargate

I doubt whether Coppard is a millionaire. Clegg certainly is. Moreover, Clegg has never had a proper job, having been shoehorned into one privileged position after another in his pre-Hallam days, largely thanks to his connections. Of course, you can't blame him for having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, or for having strings pulled for him, but I think it does go some way to explaining why he is such a bland political lightweight with such a well developed sense of political and personal entitlement.

So just what jobs do you think Miliband has had?

So just what jobs do you think Miliband has had?

I was addressing my remarks to the Hallam election, not the GE. At least Coppard has worked for a living, outside of politics.

I am well aware that none of the three main party leaders have ever had what most people would think of as proper jobs (i.e outside of politics).

Edited by NigelFargate

I was addressing my remarks to the Hallam election, not the GE. At least Coppard has worked for a living, outside of politics.

I am well aware that none of the three main party leaders have ever had what most people would think of as proper jobs (i.e outside of politics).

I don't think Oliver Coppard has had a proper job has he? Thought he was from some political thinktank in London? Might be doing the lad a disservice, but from memory, he has always been vaguely connected to politics.

I've got a nasty feeling you're plagiarising one Neil Kinnock there. Principled and competent he might have been, but he didn't do too well at winning elections so it was all for naught....

I have been thinking that Milliband missed a trick by not booking a pre-emptive victory rally at Sheffield Arena ;-)

You are right. Clegg was born in Buckinghamshire in very comfortable circumstances and educated at Westminster School. Coppard is not just a Sheffield bloke, he is also a Sheffield Hallam bloke, who went to Dobcroft, Silverdale and High Storrs schools. He has to be a better representative for Hallam than Metropolitan Clegg.

You are right. Clegg was born in Buckinghamshire in very comfortable circumstances and educated at Westminster School. Coppard is not just a Sheffield bloke, he is also a Sheffield Hallam bloke, who went to Dobcroft, Silverdale and High Storrs schools. He has to be a better representative for Hallam than Metropolitan Clegg.

So on that basis, anyone born and educated in Sheffield Hallam would make a better representative than Clegg.

People need a little more than that.

I can see what you are saying, but would you really vote for someone just because they went to school in Sheffield? Surely you would vote (probably) first for the party of your choice and maybe second on the most suitable candidate? The tory candidate is also a Sheffield lad, grew up in Sheffield, started a number of businesses employing local people, school governer, NHS governer, etc., etc.

Have they been tested on their football loyalties?

Paul Blomfield is certainly a Blade.

Have they been tested on their football loyalties?

Paul Blomfield is certainly a Blade.

Very good point Dave, not sure if any of them have actually said?

So on that basis, anyone born and educated in Sheffield Hallam would make a better representative than Clegg.

People need a little more than that.

Indeed. Apparently most of the residents of Sheffield Hallam wouldn't be suitable to represent the residents of Sheffield Hallam. In fact maybe these residents of Sheffield Hallam shouldn't be allowed any role in politics at all; they should have their voting rights rescinded and they should install bouncers at the doors of polling stations ensuring that all voters have a flat cap and whippet, and presenting them with a small, round loaf of bread and asking what they would call it.

If Clegg had agreed to a debate with the other candidates in Hallam, rather than relying on his minions to flood our letter boxes with puerile leaflets, I might at least have a smidgeon of respect for him.