Oliver Coppard to win sheffield hallam?

The Tories only give the rich a 'hand up' and screw everyone else!!!

What a complete load of nonsense. In my opinion that is exactly what Labour does. Just look at the mess Labour left us in even down to a note which said no money left. If they get in it will all happen again. It is just a nightmare scenario which I for one pray doesn't happen.

If he died before you were born...how do you know he used to say that?

Or is this another myth along Clegg's lines of 'I pledge'?

Funnily enough he still got talked about by his family after he died.

And the facts that back up your particular take on the real world are?

"Most students will still be paying back loans from their university days in their 40s and 50s, and many will never clear the debt, research finds."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26954901

"Student debt is now so high compared to average salaries that many graduates in respectable public sector professions will be unable to repay their fees even by the end of the 30-year repayment period, the Higher Education Commission warns."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/tuition-fees-three-quarters-of-students-wont-be-able-to-pay-off-their-debt-9866446.html

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 20:07 ----------

Both coalition parties have pledged £8bn a year more for the NHS. Labour are only pledging £2.5bn a year (I think they're claiming it's fully costed because it's only the 5th time the same mansion tax revenue has been spent).

Labour signed the NHS up to some crippling PFI contracts and brought 5% of service provision in from the private sector. The coalition has increased that to just 6%. I fail to see why the NHS is safer under Labour. Because Miliband carved it into a stone? They've already clarified that it doesn't mean the pledges are.... set in stone!!

Under the coalition, nurses, doctors, consultants, allied healthcare professionals, all up in the thousands. Bureaucrats down on the thousands.

What the NHS needs is a stable and growing economy to underpin its funding and continue to improve.

"NHS has axed 4,000 senior nurses since Tory-led coalition came to power

The Royal College of Nursing said the NHS should be doing “everything it can” to keep the experience of skilled staff.

But it accused the Government of pursuing a “reckless policy” that meant 3,994 senior nursing posts have been lost since 2010.|"

Obviously you meant to say "nurse unemployment up in their thousands under the coalition"

Once again never letting facts get in the way of some good spin!

Edited by Litotes

Absolutely. My grandad used to say Labour throw the party and the Tories come in to clear up the mess after. He died before I was even born so there have been even more cycles since then. We need some stability now, let's keep Labour out.

Hang on a bit I thought you hate the fact that people vote labour because their grandparents did?

My grandad said MacMillan was the only decent tory that ever lived.Ee wor reht abart that 'n'ahl!

"Most students will still be paying back loans from their university days in their 40s and 50s, and many will never clear the debt, research finds."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26954901

"Student debt is now so high compared to average salaries that many graduates in respectable public sector professions will be unable to repay their fees even by the end of the 30-year repayment period, the Higher Education Commission warns."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/tuition-fees-three-quarters-of-students-wont-be-able-to-pay-off-their-debt-9866446.html

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 20:07 ----------

It's kind of the point that for a lot of lower earning graduates, they will still be repaying loans after 30 years which will then be written off. It means they pay off much less than higher earning students. You could even call it, say, a graduate tax.

"NHS has axed 4,000 senior nurses since Tory-led coalition came to power

The Royal College of Nursing said the NHS should be doing “everything it can” to keep the experience of skilled staff.

But it accused the Government of pursuing a “reckless policy” that meant 3,994 senior nursing posts have been lost since 2010.|"

Obviously you meant to say "nurse unemployment up in their thousands under the coalition"

Once again never letting facts get in the way of some good spin!

The total number of nurses is up by several thousand. Excluding certain ranks of nurses to fix the numbers in your own way is more like spin than anything I've said.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 20:30 ----------

Hang on a bit I thought you hate the fact that people vote labour because their grandparents did?

My grandad said MacMillan was the only decent tory that ever lived.Ee wor reht abart that 'n'ahl!

I don't think I said that, though I agree with the sentiment. I don't know which way he voted, I can probably guess, but it has nothing to do with how I vote. I think his words were very wise, and as true today as they were then. Labour wreck the economy, they spend all the money, they try to buy the votes and then they leave when the money runs out.

What a complete load of nonsense. In my opinion that is exactly what Labour does. Just look at the mess Labour left us in even down to a note which said no money left. If they get in it will all happen again. It is just a nightmare scenario which I for one pray doesn't happen.

The 'mess Labour left' was because the UK was more at risk from the international banking crises. Financial services formed a larger share of the UK economy than our counterparts in Europe.

The 'mess Labour left' was because the UK was more at risk from the international banking crises. Financial services formed a larger share of the UK economy than our counterparts in Europe.

Labour had been increasing the deficit for 6 years running prior to the banking crisis (and you could argue that it was only Labour's 1997 pledge to continue Tory fiscal plans for the first parliament, 1997-2001, that the deficit was falling before then).

Times were good and instead of putting some money aside for a rainy day, they still spent more than tax revenues were generating. We should have been in a far more healthy position going into the recession.

Labour had been increasing the deficit for 6 years running prior to the banking crisis (and you could argue that it was only Labour's 1997 pledge to continue Tory fiscal plans for the first parliament, 1997-2001, that the deficit was falling before then).

Times were good and instead of putting some money aside for a rainy day, they still spent more than tax revenues were generating. We should have been in a far more healthy position going into the recession.

But what was borrowed was used to pay for investment in the NHS and other vital infrastructure project - like roads.

The country was in a mess because of eighteen years of Tory rule.

But what was borrowed was used to pay for investment in the NHS and other vital infrastructure project - like roads.

The country was in a mess because of eighteen years of Tory rule.

No, it was mainly spent on increasing the welfare state budget. Once he'd sold off gold at rock bottom prices, created a false spending boom on the back of rampant and unsustainable house price inflation, and raided the nation's pension pot, Gordon Brown had no choice but to put the rest of his spending on the never never. Only, the never came, and the Tories had to clean up the mess again.

The country ended up in even more of a mess. Good governments don't spend money they can't afford, no matter what it's for. Labour increased public spending to create jobs for the sake of it, to make people reliant on benefits, in order to put more people on the public payroll in order to gain votes. People don't need to be bribed to vote Tory (or UKIP for that matter).

The country ended up in even more of a mess. Good governments don't spend money they can't afford, no matter what it's for. Labour increased public spending to create jobs for the sake of it, to make people reliant on benefits, in order to put more people on the public payroll in order to gain votes. People don't need to be bribed to vote Tory (or UKIP for that matter).

How are the Libertarian Party doing HH :hihi:

No, it was mainly spent on increasing the welfare state budget. Once he'd sold off gold at rock bottom prices, created a false spending boom on the back of rampant and unsustainable house price inflation, and raided the nation's pension pot, Gordon Brown had no choice but to put the rest of his spending on the never never. Only, the never came, and the Tories had to clean up the mess again.

The reason why welfare increased was due to an increase in the number of people aged over 65.

The Labour client state was a myth! Labour didn't keep people on welfare to create a block of voters like the Daily Mail claim.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 22:21 ----------

I agree about the unsustainable house price inflation though.