The legendary Richie Benaud died today

tinfoilhat

I have fond memories of listening to his commentary on the BBC TV Test match coverage that I first watched in the early 70s.

He was a lovely man, as was the wonderful Jim Laker, another favourite commentator of mine.

I'm also a huge fan of Peter Alliss as a golf commentator, so I'm hoping he'll be around for a while yet.

Listen to him once more in 2005

Some classic 1981 Benaud (and Jim Laker) BBC commentary here

Edited by BladeSteve

Maybe Botham's ashes Headingley 1981 will be shown as a tribute. It should be...

Talking on the radio about how he had influenced Australian captains ever after with aggressive fielding and tactics.

Who have we got like that :suspect:

Guest sibon

An absolute genius of a commentator. I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but my youth was mostly spent glued to test matches on the BBC with Richie as the main commentator. I loved his commentary.

He steadfastly refused to work for pay TV companies too, that was one of the reasons why he disappeared from British TV after the 2005 Ashes.

A bit more Richie here

Edited by sibon

He steadfastly refused to work for pay TV companies too, that was one of the reasons why he disappeared from British TV after the 2005 Ashes.

A bit more Richie here

He was a major figure in World Series cricket and worked for Kerry Packer for years.

Guest sibon
He was a major figure in World Series cricket and worked for Kerry Packer for years.

Indeed. But all the Packer cricket was free to air.