Super tram extensions

It's such a long way between the White Lane stop the Birley one. A way through Base Green from Hollinsend with additional stops may have been a better option.

Why not extend the Herdings link to Norton, Jordanthorpe & Lowedges areas?

Get services to where people live seems like a sensible business plan

The three areas you suggested are serviced by plentiful bus services anyway.

Tram extensions cost money. A hell of a lot of money. Add to that the infrastructure needed, planning permissions, compulsory purchases, public enquiries, NIMBY's etc... and its a bit different to buying a few new buses to put a new route on.

If you want to see the disruption digging up roads to lay tram lines causes, take a visit to City Road this summer and see for yourself.

plentiful bus services? oh, of course. silly me! you must mean the "service" provided by first buses around Lowedges. you mean the ones on the timetable scheduled to arrive every ten minutes but is closer to a hourly service.

A Supertram loop that takes in well populated areas like lowedges and batemoor might not be such a bad idea. cancel HS2 and the funds are there.

plentiful bus services? oh, of course. silly me! you must mean the "service" provided by first buses around Lowedges. you mean the ones on the timetable scheduled to arrive every ten minutes but is closer to a hourly service.

I'm 100% sure you aren't exaggerating :hihi:

According to this map

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179872516

The Lowedges area has (during daytimes):

25/25A - every 10 mins. Doesnt leave from the terminus but its effectively a Lowedges bus.

53 - - every 10 mins

76 - every 10 mins

87 - every 10 mins (oh, this is a Stagecoach one)

M17 - every hour

And thats before you even look at the buses passing on the main road such as the 43, 44, X17

Now please tell me why Lowedges needs more buses. I count 25 an HOUR from the five routes I named. Heck, even discount the 25/25A if you want, its still 19 buses an hour during the day.

Edited by Vegas1

Actually an extension like that would be good and probably well used given the long journey times and poor timekeeping of buses in the area which is caused by ever worsening road traffic conditions - although as mentioned above, there is no shortage of buses to the Meadowhead/Low Edges area.

Extend beyond Herdings Park along the Norton by-pass, Bochum Parkway and Greenhill Parkway and terminate at Lowedges fire station - there is the space available to run the track off road bypassing any traffic jams.

It would however require an expensive tunnel under Meadowhead roundabout and lose some green space along Greenhill Parkway.

If enough people in the area feel strongly that this would be an important and neccessary investment in the local transport infrastructure perhaps the local MPs need lobbying...

They are already extending it out to Rotherham via Tinsley (to be complete by end 2016)

it will be the 'Tram-Train' service.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 18:15 ----------

Extend beyond Herdings Park along the Norton by-pass, Bochum Parkway and Greenhill Parkway and terminate at Lowedges fire station - there is the space available to run the track off road bypassing any traffic jams.

There's no space really

It would however require an expensive tunnel under Meadowhead roundabout and lose some green space along Greenhill Parkway.

Again there's no 'green space' - there's lots of private houses on one side or privately owned land/farms and stables on the other...

Again there's no 'green space' - there's lots of private houses on one side or privately owned land/farms and stables on the other...

There is loads of green space either side of Greenhill Parkway, take a look on streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/sZOaJ