Shortchanged at stores..

I have to say that I have been short-changed in this particular supermarket chain on numerous occasions. I always tally in my head what I am spending and I once went in to a branch in Scotland for a 9£ shop, paid with a 20£ and got 6 pounds put in my hand, I challenged the cashier on the spot saying I paid with a twenty, they didn't believe me.

When I pointed out that it would either be 10 or 20 as they clearly handled only one note they backed off. But I was not impressed and asked to see the manager, the lass got a stern telling off and I received a voucher for 5£ for the next time I shopped there, I turned round, got a bottle of wine for a fiver and was satisfied, but it has happened several times before and since.

My father-in-law lives within a stones throw from a branch and he counts his change every time after being caught out numerous times. You'd think, these days, with the digital tills, that it is pretty darned hard to get it wrong, wouldn't you?

I have conclusive proof now. Its happened to someone i know, same bloke. Grrrr! Now im angry.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 15:59 ----------

I'd reach out to the store manager and then the area manager before going to corporate. If the staff are stealing, theyre probably aware of it and waiting for more evidence to come through.

For the most part, the central office may just "lose" the letter (whether it doesnt get to the right dept, and then destroyed or worse) or not respond or ask what I just said to do.

Why should i approach the store manager? Its the comps job to do that. Ive complained through official channels and got a receipt of acceptance.

It must be their policy not to give out receipts ( I never get one now either), personally I don't mind due to it just going straight in the bin but saying that, I too was short changed in an "uncooperative" store recently, I challenged the cashier as I was £5 down. After a lot of fuss and suspicious looks, they decided to do a till check, on completion the till was £11 DOWN ???? So obviously they couldn't have shortchanged me !?!?!?!?! Because THEY were down. They refused to give me the cash they owed me, I didn't take it any further (apart from arguing the toss for 20 mins) I just put it down to experience but when I shop there now (emergency shopping only) I ask for a receipt and slowly but carefully check the receipt and change in full view of everyone, it doesn't always make me popular with the rest of the queuing shoppers but hey, who can afford to lose a fiver every time they pay for their over priced shopping??

It must be their policy not to give out receipts ( I never get one now either), personally I don't mind due to it just going straight in the bin but saying that, I too was short changed in an "uncooperative" store recently, I challenged the cashier as I was £5 down. After a lot of fuss and suspicious looks, they decided to do a till check, on completion the till was £11 DOWN ???? So obviously they couldn't have shortchanged me !?!?!?!?! Because THEY were down. They refused to give me the cash they owed me, I didn't take it any further (apart from arguing the toss for 20 mins) I just put it down to experience but when I shop there now (emergency shopping only) I ask for a receipt and slowly but carefully check the receipt and change in full view of everyone, it doesn't always make me popular with the rest of the queuing shoppers but hey, who can afford to lose a fiver every time they pay for their over priced shopping??

This policy of not giving out receipts is really confusing matters, even when it was a genuine mistake....not good and I will be continuing the crusade to get some change on this.

I used to be a supervisor there, and anytime there was a discrepancy at the tills regarding change given I used to look at the cameras, not cash up a till as you can clearly see what note is given and change, if cash back has / hasn't been given e,c,t. I also used to check it against the receipts too. I don't think that cashing up a till is the most accurate way personally.

They always print a receipt out though from the till and from the office, you must have just got a rouge employee (report him / her to the manager if you think that they are skimming the change)

Mistakes do happen though (whoever you are and whatever line of work you are in), think about it from the staff's point of view, if you're serving 100's of customers you're bound to make the odd mistake, its the correcting it that counts.

Just check you're change before you leave the shop, or pay with your card

I used to be a supervisor there, and anytime there was a discrepancy at the tills regarding change given I used to look at the cameras, not cash up a till as you can clearly see what note is given and change, if cash back has / hasn't been given e,c,t. I also used to check it against the receipts too. I don't think that cashing up a till is the most accurate way personally.

They always print a receipt out though from the till and from the office, you must have just got a rouge employee (report him / her to the manager if you think that they are skimming the change)

Mistakes do happen though (whoever you are and whatever line of work you are in), think about it from the staff's point of view, if you're serving 100's of customers you're bound to make the odd mistake, its the correcting it that counts.

BS - They don't 'always' print a receipt. You must have got to work at a good branch.

The shop was virtually empty..I just think the fella was trying it on and succeeded in this case. Think how many people have been scammed.

Mistakes do happen...they just seem to 'happen' more at the 'unco-operative'.

There's another little aspect that's been overlooked so far, again concerning the same chain of shops.

On occasion, discount vouchers are handed out - you know the kind of thing...£2 off your next £20 shop and the like - which are generally printed out as an extra to your receipt, and on the same tally roll.

No receipt offered, so no voucher?

Of course, this could be shop policy rather than anything else....after all, it does save the shop money.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The customer service at co-op is terrible. It's taken 14 days to reply, and since then I've sent two letters.

I got this in reply:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the service in your local Co-op stores.

> ?

> We do take all complaints and observations very seriously and I can confirm that your comments have been passed to the Operations Manager for attention.

> ?

> Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this matter and I can assure you that the Operations Manager will investigate and take appropriate action.

> ?

> If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on 0800 0686 727

> ?

> ?

>

> Kind regards -----------

So I sent one back asking for further clarification and got this in reply:

> Thank you for your further e-mail , the Operations Manager will do a full investigation and speak to the store staff , due to Data Protection we would be unable to tell you what action we take with our staff , but the Operations Manager will visit the stores .

>

> Regards

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 13:53 ----------

So a cop-out! and needless to say the store has lost several customers for life....

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 13:57 ----------

I will also be following up with a further email in 30 days should I not receive a follow up email, possibly followed by civil action...whoever there regulatory body is...to be continued.

I will also be following up with a further email in 30 days should I not receive a follow up email, possibly followed by civil action...whoever there regulatory body is...to be continued.

As stated before, you need to check your change before you leave the store.

Civil action? How can it be proved that you were short change? You could have walked outside, spent 80p on a sausage roll, then come back in to claim you've been short changed by 80p. You've got too much time on your hands.

Chill, learn from your mistake, and move on.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 14:43 ----------

Wise wise words.

Anyone good with money should pay by card - plenty of cashback cards and point cards out there. Pay the balance off each month, cash out the rewards at the end of each year.