Will Sheffield Ever catch up with Leeds/Manchester?

Is Sheffield always going to be the poor Yorkshire cousin of Leeds and way behind Manchester?

As someone Whos wife is from Sheffield I can never help but think that Sheffield whilst a very nice city with many good points always seems to be some what "behind the times!

Given most of the public officials round here are either corrupt or just completely useless I can't see things changing too quickly.

Still the people are very nice, which beats most other citys from my experience.

Yes people are certainly nice. The place just doesnt seem to have moved much over the last 25 years

Sheffield City Council meeting - An important Invitation. Having asked the question,you may now wish to look at this thread concerning the opening that I have put which is from the Sheffield Discussion.You may find it enlightening and supply answers to your question

I love Sheffield, but for Manchester/Leeds are a different class are far of the city centre based liviing/shopping. Manchester has loads more independent bars/cafes/restaurants/clothes shops which just would not survive in Sheffield. Ive been out in the Northern Quarter twice in the last month and its a whole different ball game. All Sheffield council seem to do allow student flats to be built fill the other spaces underneath them with the same chain rubbish.

Is Sheffield always going to be the poor Yorkshire cousin of Leeds and way behind Manchester?

As someone Whos wife is from Sheffield I can never help but think that Sheffield whilst a very nice city with many good points always seems to be some what "behind the times!

I worked in Leeds for a number of years and can honestly say its a dump. Cant speak for Manchester but certainly dont want to be like Leeds.

I love Sheffield, but for Manchester/Leeds are a different class are far of the city centre based liviing/shopping. Manchester has loads more independent bars/cafes/restaurants/clothes shops which just would not survive in Sheffield. Ive been out in the Northern Quarter twice in the last month and its a whole different ball game.

Perhaps something to do with Greater Manchester being 4 times the size of the Sheffield urban area

Yes unless we can conjure up another million or so living within a ten mile radius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

That article isn't really a reflection of reality. Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield are all omitted despite being a 10-15 minute train journey away. Add in bits of North East Derbyshire and possibly even Workshop and Sheffield should be the hub for well over a million people.

Just as well that it isn't really because the only thing the jokers at the town hall can manage is their bank balance and a yearly jaunt to Cannes.

That article isn't really a reflection of reality. Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield are all omitted despite being a 10-15 minute train journey away. Add in bits of North East Derbyshire and possibly even Workshop and Sheffield should be the hub for well over a million people.

Yes it is - from my experience of family and work colleagues people from Barnsley and Doncaster will use Leeds over Sheffield. Going back to when I was a kid in Donny the majority of the people did their "big shopping" eg Christmas, in Leeds rather than Sheffield.

Oh ... and the West Yorkshire area doesn't include the wealthy "golden triangle" up Otley / Harrogate way - and Greater Manchester the even wealthier "stockbroker belt" centred on .Alderley Edge. Hope valley etc is nowhere near the same league

Yes it is - from my experience of family and work colleagues people from Barnsley and Doncaster will use Leeds over Sheffield. Going back to when I was a kid in Donny the majority of the people did their "big shopping" eg Christmas, in Leeds rather than Sheffield.

Oh ... and the West Yorkshire area doesn't include the wealthy "golden triangle" up Otley / Harrogate way - and Greater Manchester the even wealthier "stockbroker belt" centred on .Alderley Edge. Hope valley etc is nowhere near the same league

Geographically Sheffield is easier to get to. But of course people from Barnsley and Donnie do big shops in Leeds. People from Sheffield do their big shopping in Leeds.

Because Sheffield is shocking as a shopping/cultural centre.

Nevertheless Sheffield is/should be a hub for one million people. You can (and I'm oh so very sure that will) spin whatever way you want but that's irrefutable.

And yet it is run by the village fete planning committee. That is why it punches so far below its weight.

I live halfway between Sheffield & Manchester (and work near Alderley Edge). A thirty minute train ride into Manchester versus an hour in the car to Sheffield, and I choose the latter every time. Why? Because I just love Sheffield. As a shopping centre it has everything I need. I still go into Manchester from time to time when I want the big intimidating city experience but I feel far safer and more at home in Sheffield town.