Windows 7 legal download needed

Wonder Boy

As thread title. I have a compact PC with crucially no CD drive and want to/need to upgrade from XP to windows 7.

It passes the specs but try as I might I can't seem to find anywhere to download it at a reasonable cost.

Any help appreciated.

got mine from ebuyer.com

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 20:44 ----------

As thread title. I have a compact PC with crucially no CD drive and want to/need to upgrade from XP to windows 7.

It passes the specs but try as I might I can't seem to find anywhere to download it at a reasonable cost.

Any help appreciated.

first buy a usb cd drive

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/?PageSpeed=noscript

That page has the links for Microsoft's official digital distribution website, Digital River. Do a keyless install and once you've installed it, go to activate (must be done within 30 days) and into the store. Technically, Microsoft aren't selling Windows 7 anymore and I don't know if this would work but it's the only 'traditional' legitimate way I can see you doing it unless you can find an old OEM or Retail that's still being sold. Microsoft might charge you for a Windows 8.1 upgrade, you'll just have to try it and see.

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/?PageSpeed=noscript

That page has the links for Microsoft's official digital distribution website, Digital River. Do a keyless install and once you've installed it, go to activate (must be done within 30 days) and into the store. Technically, Microsoft aren't selling Windows 7 anymore and I don't know if this would work but it's the only 'traditional' legitimate way I can see you doing it unless you can find an old OEM or Retail that's still being sold. Microsoft might charge you for a Windows 8.1 upgrade, you'll just have to try it and see.

Thanks...Managed to install, but when I try and activate there is no store option, cheapest I can find if these are legit is this one

http://itrevive.co.uk/windows-licences/windows-7-32bit-professional-license-coa-upgrade.html

I don't know if that site is legit - it's description is definately OEM but the price for Pro is a little too good to be true (and you know what they say about that). Separately, they're retailing an OEM version (nothing wrong with that) yet have the image displayed as a retail box version. The disk that's displayed would appear to be a retail box version. I think I'd personally pay the extra from Amazon, or wait for a few months and see what the new version is retailing at and it's final feature set/spec. At this point in time, although I personally like Windows 7, I'd think if I were spending money on an OS then I'd want longevity of security support.