Is it acceptable to give time left on parking to someone else?

Not readily available is totally different to "I didn't read the T&Cs printed on the ticket". Printed on the ticket IS readily available.

My comment was in reply to this.

The fact that MJW doesn't read the readily available T&Cs doesn't exempt him from them.

A parking company doesn't "allow" someone to take the space, and the contract isn't for that specific space anyway. The parkee is free to move to another space within the car park or on the street.

Actually, the quote posted by MJW47 says you cannot move to a different parking spot "not transferable between... ...parking spaces". Seems an odd restriction to want to impose, but there it is.

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 11:28 ----------

How can it be classed as deception?

The ticket was purchased and the allocated time paid for. The ticket was then given as a small act of kindness by the original purchaser.

In what way has any offence been committed?

I've just looked at a parking ticket that was still in my car.

Issued by Sheffield City Council in tiny writing across the bottom it does say ' not transferable between vehicles and parking spaces'. This was the first time that I've noticed it, like most people I'd imagine I simply check that the date and time are correct.

Two points.

Firstly, in order to be held accountable for 'Terms and Conditions' some confirmation is required that the terms have been both read and accepted.

Which is why you have to tick the box if you're online or sign if you're there in person.

Secondly any loss suffered by the Council would only amount to a pound or two in any individual case.

Therefore it's a meaningless and small minded petty regulation.

The council would be foolish to take it to court, the judgement could go against them and they would then have to alter their procedures and reprint all tickets.

I've just bumped this thread, as today was the first time that I'd used one of the on street parking bays since reading the thread. While I was there, I checked the details on the ticket dispenser. There is a section titled terms and conditions, where it says that transfer of tickets is an offence. So, as well as saying it on the ticket itself, it says it on the machine where you buy the ticket. I reckon that any court would accept that, as the terms and conditions are clearly displayed at the point of purchase, and there is opportunity to read it before you buy your ticket, then the act of purchasing the ticket demonstrates acceptance of the terms and conditions.

Not being able to pass it on seems downright vindictive.

I have to agree.

Just another example of the petty mindedness that seems to have invaded this country. The time has been paid for. If you want to gift it to someone else who are they to stop you? Why do we cow tow to these little hitlers and their self serving rules? It's about time we took a leaf out of the French people's book and stood up for ourselves.

I have to agree.

Just another example of the petty mindedness that seems to have invaded this country. The time has been paid for. If you want to gift it to someone else who are they to stop you? Why do we cow tow to these little hitlers and their self serving rules? It's about time we took a leaf out of the French people's book and stood up for ourselves.

How do you propose to stand up against them?

Just another example of the petty mindedness that seems to have invaded this country. The time has been paid for.

Would "passing on" your paid-for service also apply if you've bought a cinema ticket then left after five minutes? Or paid for swimming then changed your mind or had to leave?

Would "passing on" your paid-for service also apply if you've bought a cinema ticket then left after five minutes? Or paid for swimming then changed your mind or had to leave?

Cinema, don't see why not. You've paid for a seat for a given length of time.

Swimming, I guess not, you've paid for 1 entrance to the baths, although if it comes with a kicking out time (ie 2 hrs max) then maybe it could be justified.

So we've established that technically you can be breaking the rules (if the terms state that there must be no transfer of tickets).

Would I still do it?

Yes (as long as there wasn't any means of being found out :) ).

And my conscience would be very clear.

The people who run our car parks have no qualms whatsoever about overcharging, which they frequently do by not giving change back from their machines.

They have no objection to charging more than once for the same space at the same time, if someone leaves with time on the clock and someone else pays again for the space.

When I add up all the times I've overpaid due to not having quite the right change, or overpaid by putting on plenty of extra time just in case, then it far outweighs the odd occasion I've been able to pass on a ticket.

I suppose that the orthodoxy of a certain section of the forum would be that it depends on who is running the parking.

If it's the council, then (according to the orthodoxy) any payment at all for parking is an outrageous stealth tax to be avoided by all means possible. After all, some of the money might be used to repair potholes in parts of Sheffield that I never even visit, or to provide care for elderly people who are not even related to me. So if it's the council then it's perfectly acceptable, if not a duty, to give time left on parking to someone else.

If the parking is run by a private company, then things are more complicated. On the one hand, the company will be run by some dashing young entrepreneur whose main motivation in life is to provide people with work (the council, of course, doesn't provide anybody with employment, or at least nobody who isn't either a chiseller or a sub-simian - again, according to the orthodoxy). Surely you wouldn't begrudge them their legitimate profit, which after all isn't a dirty word, or want to put their employees' jobs at risk? This suggests that you shouldn't give the left over time to someone else.

On the other hand, it might save me a few quid if somebody handed their leftover time to me, so maybe it is OK to do this. Like I said, complicated.

Nice summary!

just had to call at the northern general and a kindly nurse gave me her ticket (it was valid till 10) when I came out I passed it on again to a chap just about to pay for a ticket :hihi: