Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

does everybody here belive in ghosts and the paranomal? I belive there could be aliens as the odds are well in favour of a solar system out there similar to ours with habital planets.

But peoples ghosts knocking around where they died or where they spent a lot of time whilst they were alive?

Yeah it makes an interesting read and shows about it on tv are entertaining but its one of thoese things ill only beleive when i see it. (not knocking anybodys beliefs or calling anybody a lair, just my opinion).

My ghostly experience.

One clear night in winter, no clouds, no mist, nothing.

Me and a friend were riding our motorbikes out by redmires damn.

We got bored and decided to ride back, this being about 2am.

Coming back down the hill, round the blind corner and in the middle of the road looked to be a man. Clear as day. Just stood there. I swerved and nearly ended up in a wall, look in my mirror and see nothing.

My mate comes round the corner and just sees a confined mist, which he claims was about the same size as the man I saw.

I'm getting shudders thinking about it. Just a hollow stare straight at me.

• 2 weeks later...
:confused: i'm very surprised nobodys mentioned the "ship " in shalesmoor,not only have they a resident ghost "charlie" he pinches the black poopl ball,they have roman soldiers visiting from time to time mainly seen passing through the cellar walking approx 1mt above floor level,according to old folklore the old roman road passed this way,anyone through any light on this?

:suspect: Just becareful when asking mediums to come investigate your property(you never know what evil sprits they will let in your house) you should leave it to well known paranormal groups.

Just be warned :heyhey: Jon

Around 1983 I recall a story told by some good friends of the family who lived in Swallownest at the time in a fairly old building which was surrounded by fields through which part of the A57 now passes.

The front garden was totally overgrown and finally they got round to tidying it up in order to create some car parking space. With it being in such a bad state they hired a mini digger in order to shift the rubble and plantation. However, they dug a little deeper and unearthed what appeared to be bones. These - it was deemed - were from the old pit ponies that used to operate in the area. Thinking nothing more about it, they went to bed as usual.

That night, the mother of the family was awoken by the strange feeling of someone sitting on the end of her bed. There wasn't anyone/anything visible! At breakfast the next morning (which I presume might have taken place a little earlier than usual) her daughter also claimed to have had a strange feeling that night, of someone walking around her room.

Being sensible people, they decided to bury the bones and have done with them. To the best of my knowledge, that was the end of it!!

One other case, briefly. Two friends of mine, walking back from the Bull's Head, Ranmoor to the Rising Sun, Nether Green one Sunday night. One of them went to take a leak in grounds of a large house on the corner of Fulwood Road/Gladstone Road. He didn't take long. He came running out in terror having seen a little girl in a white Victorian dress playing in the (otherwise pitch-black) garden. He ran, for some strange reason, down into Whiteley Woods and up to Quiet Lane in Fulwood. He returned to the pub to be found playing on the slot machine with tears in his eyes. Rumour has it a little girl was killed at this very junction in Ranmoor. (And I hope the person who witnessed this sighting won't be reading this for I know he won't thank me for reminding him of it.)

Originally posted by Nathen

My ghostly experience.

One clear night in winter, no clouds, no mist, nothing.

Me and a friend were riding our motorbikes out by redmires damn.

We got bored and decided to ride back, this being about 2am.

Coming back down the hill, round the blind corner and in the middle of the road looked to be a man. Clear as day. Just stood there. I swerved and nearly ended up in a wall, look in my mirror and see nothing.

My mate comes round the corner and just sees a confined mist, which he claims was about the same size as the man I saw.

I'm getting shudders thinking about it. Just a hollow stare straight at me.

I've heard of three cases in this region. One is of someone who set out to walk home from Soughley Lane towards Ringinglow (I think the silly sausage was headed for somewhere as far away as Castleton) and never made it. His body is supposed to haunt this region. Maybe he's the very chap you met?

My brother was driving over Ringinglow near the Round House one foggy night and swears he drove right through a ghost. His initial thought was that it was a woman in the middle of the road and to hit the breaks rather hard! But he says he literally drove right through her and that when he looked to the side of the car there was no-one in sight.

And finally, a good friend has seen a ghost near the wooden bench on Quiet Lane near Fulwood. He says the temperature in his car plummeted and he got a very strange feeling.

Although this guy is partial to a pint, I know for sure he wouldn't fabricate this kind of stuff.