Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

Originally posted by medic25uk

try walking alone down vickers corridor at the NGH at 2 in the morning...eek!

I know exactly what you mean Medic, the corridor at my old school was exactly the same - leading from one end ( foyer ) to the other ( upper school ) it was closed off at each end and dead silent whilst you walk along, the toilets at each end where a sign you'd made it to one side, I'd sometimes start off walking, quicken my pace and be lightly jogging by the time i reached the door at the end.

Can you imagine what a schoolkids imagination, in a long lonely corridor during assembly when no-one else is in that part of the building can do to a person!!?

Crikey - reading all your posts.... bizarre.

I have a couple of things to add of my own. Having trekked around the country quite a lot and around some historical sites I've got a few pics of things I can't explain. Strange smokey things in broad daylight in ancient abbeys and castles.

Furthermore, some friends and I were playing hide and seek in one of the abbeys in 2000 or 2001, one of the guys thought he had seen me but later found me in an entirely different part of the site where I had been all along. Plus I wasn't wearing grey and white and neither was anyone else in our party of 10 ppl.

At another venue I was looking through the fastened gates of the chapel when a feeling of great oppresion fell over me and I ran as fast as I could away from it to where I was staying and refused to go back, even though the public loos were next door, I had to pee in a field instead.

The Queens Head in Pond Street, I spent one Halloween in the upstairs room and was the last to leave and I was deeply unhappy about it, there's a certain feeling on the top of the stairs. The landlords part of the building feels equally freaky.

There's a house on .... the road which crosses Carterknowle, cant recall the name. Anyway, there's a guy on the stairs whose about 6ft and a few inches, blonde hair and build like an outside loo! Cept, after he made me jump one night, I found out various people have seen him in there.

Bishops House....feels fine inside but there's a face at one of the upstairs windows from the outside sometimes.

My cousin (when aged about 4) used to tell me about the 'lady in the green dress' who used to stand in the living room doorway of my old flat and watch us.

The Burton Street Project in Hillsborough has a million and one strange things going on, including a chap in the cellars who asks questions but isn't there. A boy who looks through the windows of one of the halls and then vanishes. I think a spiritulist group meets there now too.

Finally I have my personal tale of terror. After moving into a house new to us, in Hackenthorpe, when I was 4 I had gone to bed and remained awake for sometime. there was a streetlamp outside my window which glowed quite brightly through the thin curtains. I saw the shadow of a man crouched on my window ledge, he then opened the window and crept in, dropped onto the floor and turned to look at me. He was dressed in black, had an odd moustache and a cape. He walked around my bed and went to my wardrobe, took my mini suitcase off it and opened it on the floor then opened my chest of drawers and took out a handful of clothes and dropped them in and over the suitcase. Then he pointed to it, indicating I should continue to put my clothes in the case, then walked out through my bedroom door. I laid there I terror half the night, before I finally dropped asleep with the duvet over my head. Next morning, I climbed over the suitcase and clothes which were on the floor. I went out of my door half expecting to see the man, then in the back bedroom I found a picture of him, decorating the cover of two matchboxes- neither of which had been there the previous day. The man I had seen was Captain Webb, the first man to swim the English Channel I'm told.

My father still has the match boxes in his toolbox and it still gives me the creeps to this day.

Some of these things perhaps have explanations, I know what I've seen.

And for whoever asked - the books about Sheffield and about the ghosts are available in Waterstones in Orchard Sq., Ottakers in Meadowhall and certain branches of GT News were carrying them for a while.

Originally posted by Yorkie

No such thing - only human imagination or human exploitation.

In that case - so many of us have such overblown imaginations!?

Why is it you can get the most serious of people to admit to ghostly encounters then? respected people?

A friend of mine, a police officer moved into a new home a few years back, both he and his wife were busy decorating. He was downstairs whilst she was up in the bedroom stripping off wallpaper. He heard her scream and ran up to check what was wrong, she was standing outside the room looking pale. She explained that there was a young boy standing by the cupboard near the window and he looked boney and white.

My friend walked into the room and couldn't see anything, they searched the house but found no-one.

A few weeks after moving in properly, they were in bed in the same room and he felt someone pulling the bed cover. It was about 2am, he lifted his head and saw a young boy standing at the end of the bed. The same as his wife had described, pale and boney with dark eyes - this terrified him and he let out a shout. He jumped out of the bed but as he did so the boy apparently opened his mouth, pointed to it and disappeared !!

He never told his wife, but after another strange experience which he wouldn't tell me about they soon moved out of the house.

He is a respected police officer, tall and built well - you just wouldn't expect a story like that from him and I cant see any point in him making it up.

Originally posted by Lestat

In that case - so many of us have such overblown imaginations!?

Yes - a lot of you do, and that baffles me.

Many of you just want it to be true but personally I think it is a load of tripe.

Like religion, there is no solid proof, and that it what I need. Otherwise I won't waste my time. :)

I've been told the cellar of O'Hagan's (while it was still standing) was haunted. One of the staff was working alone on a Sunday morning before they opened up and had 'an experience' down there which meant he could never again face going downstairs to e.g. change a beer barrel over.

(btw O'Hagan's changed its name to the Hornblower and was then demolished to make way for the West One development, although why this perfectly serviceable pub with some history and character to it was razed is one of Sheffield's planning mysteries.)

Hi, lestat.

you said you were interested in haunted places in sheffield area. well I am not saying i believe in ghosts but i'm open minded about the supernatural.

I have some information for you if you are interested or not, but anyhow my aunty lives in the Ecclesfield area of sheffield and is a spiritual medium, she believes she can see spirits of the deceased in other words and has kind of a sixth sense.

she told me that st.marys church in the Ecclesfield center of the village is reportedly haunted by a monk dressed in black robes and also a room within the ecclesfield church priory is reported to be haunted by an invisible evil entity or presence, she said that when a dog was locked in the room it would not stop barking and howling, and when the owner opened the door the dog was snarling and looking at some invisible force.

anyhow hope you was interested, please pm me or email me if you have any interest or questions.

thankyou

I worked in elderly units for a few years. Every unit I worked in had it's own ghost story. It is quite strange going into a room after somebody had died and the body had been taken away. I never saw a ghost but I had some strange experiences.

At one place I worked somebody had died and John Heaths were taking the body out of the front door.

I had locked this persons bedroom door and walked down the corridor and let John Heaths out. As the body was going through the door a room alarm went off. I looked at the alarm panel and saw it was on the corridor where I had just come from. I went to answer the call and it was the room I had just left.

I had the unit and master keys keys on me and nodody was playing a trick on me.

Very strange I thought.

Another time at a different unit somebody had died and the family had been to take what they wanted from their belongings. As I was the persons keyworker and close to the person the other staff left the clearing of the room to me.

It took me about 30 minutes to do and I had the door wedged open al the way through the time I was in the room.

As I moved the last bag out of the room into the corridor the door closed behind me. I didn't knock it or anything but the fact it happened did send a shiver up my spine.

Most of the time I'm happy to put these sort of things down to my imagination playing tricks on my but these two incidents were quite strange.

The most scary time I had was working nights in a unit that was an old victorian building. I used to go up and do the hoourly checks on my own.

One night as I was walking along a dimly lit corridor towards a room that used to be a chapel I could hear a strange noise behind me. Everytime I took a step the noise would happen everytime I stopped it stopped. I was on the point of crapping myself when I realised the noise was coming off the corderoy trousers I was wearing.