HEELEY CITY FARM: Sheffield City Council propose removal of trees!

Not all of the time it doesn't.

It did before.

And it will this time! :)

It did before.

And it will this time! :)

Lots of optimism, there. I couldnt care less either way, but make sure you pop back to this thread when it doesnt :cool:

Or, to put it another way, less than 0.08% of the population of Sheffield. Not going to make a blind bit of difference. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but that is the way these things work.

Ah, oh well.

Did you hear that everyone? Let's all stop our pointless opposition at once and join in bulldozing everything green in sight. Never mind the 13 resident bird species on the amber/red BTO conservation concern list, increased traffic for the primary school and community centres opposite and the fact that most of us don't believe the bus lane is at all necessary for this location. Just this morning on my way to work, I watched a bus coming down the hill at 8.45am this morning with precisely no traffic in front of it whatsoever for the entire length of the road.

Many of those signing as well as emailing the council (leigh.bramall@sheffield.gov.uk) are also local residents, and our local MP ([email protected]) and wildlife organisations are now also involved. This issue has also received significant local media coverage and will continue to do so as long as the plans involve the destruction of our vital local wildlife habitats and community green space.

The latest update from Meg Munn after meeting with the council is that a positive meeting has led to alternatives being explored, with more meetings planned in January.

So actually we are making a blind bit of difference here, thanks. And given the level of opposition and issues at stake, I would be very, very surprised if this proposal goes ahead in its current form.

Edited by Crackers

Lots of optimism, there. I couldnt care less either way, but make sure you pop back to this thread when it doesnt :cool:

There's a dish of humble pie waiting to be eaten.

I will "pop back" if you will...although I do believe it comes without custard! ;)

---------- Post added 04-12-2014 at 18:08 ----------

The petition now has 429 signatures!

Thank you if you have signed and shared.

Make that 463.

Closing in on the first 500. :thumbsup:

I went to the council meeting on wednesday and asked if the scheme could be held off until this petition could be presented and considered. i pointed out the large number of trees to be destroyed and the detrimental effects. i think it was coun brammall who gave the reply that most people wanted this and that it was set in stone and something about £80 million. in other words - sod off. i made the mistake of saying that i campaigned against bus gates and lanes when i stood in burngreave ward this year, he smuggly said that that was the reason i did not win. i did not have a right to reply so i did not get the opportunity to tell him that burngreave was an almost unwinnable ward for any other than the labour party let alone UKIP. we went from fifth to second place behind labour this year. i would have reminded him that i increased our poll by 300%, one of the biggest percentage increases in sheffield for UKIP. a further increase of @ 150% will see us win the seat in 2015.

one of the things that really hacked me off was, at the same meeting, an "expert" did a talk and slide show on global warming. he failed to mention that trees are the biggest and best carbon capture facilities on the planet. he talked about the increase in droughts but failed to explain why we are getting more floods. he also showed a row of coffins after a heatwave in chicago and said there were no mourners because these dead people were the most vulnerable who had died. the picture looked to be taken in the middle of nowhere. he failed to show a picture, for balance, of the bodies of hypothermia victims stacked in freezer containers outside hospitals in the UK after a bad winter, due to his "so-called" global "warming".

time we got these arrogant councillors out of office. then we can open up the roads to everyone, not just bus passengers.

well i did try for you at the council meeting, next stop - the ballot box.

remember UKIP next time you vote.

thank you.

well i did try for you at the council meeting, next stop - the ballot box. remember UKIP next time you vote.

Oh I certainly will.

Ukip are pro-fracking

Ukip plan to repeal the Climate Change Act, which would directly hit the UK's ability to support the UN's Green Climate Fund

Ukip are anti-wind power

Ukip are pro-badger cull

Ukip are pro-hunting

Ukip's policies in this department (suspiciously a subset of 'Housing', worryingly) appear to be an incoherent mixture of anti-environmentalism and a complete disregard for scientific evidence.

I'll remember Ukip alright.

Oh I certainly will.

Ukip are pro-fracking

Ukip plan to repeal the Climate Change Act, which would directly hit the UK's ability to support the UN's Green Climate Fund

Ukip are anti-wind power

Ukip are pro-badger cull

Ukip are pro-hunting

Ukip's policies in this department (suspiciously a subset of 'Housing', worryingly) appear to be an incoherent mixture of anti-environmentalism and a complete disregard for scientific evidence.

I'll remember Ukip alright.

But it's ok, you can blame foreigners for all of that climate stuff. Right?

I went to the council meeting on wednesday and asked if the scheme could be held off until this petition could be presented and considered. i pointed out the large number of trees to be destroyed and the detrimental effects. i think it was coun brammall who gave the reply that most people wanted this and that it was set in stone and something about £80 million. in other words - sod off. i made the mistake of saying that i campaigned against bus gates and lanes when i stood in burngreave ward this year, he smuggly said that that was the reason i did not win. i did not have a right to reply so i did not get the opportunity to tell him that burngreave was an almost unwinnable ward for any other than the labour party let alone UKIP. we went from fifth to second place behind labour this year. i would have reminded him that i increased our poll by 300%, one of the biggest percentage increases in sheffield for UKIP. a further increase of @ 150% will see us win the seat in 2015.

one of the things that really hacked me off was, at the same meeting, an "expert" did a talk and slide show on global warming. he failed to mention that trees are the biggest and best carbon capture facilities on the planet. he talked about the increase in droughts but failed to explain why we are getting more floods. he also showed a row of coffins after a heatwave in chicago and said there were no mourners because these dead people were the most vulnerable who had died. the picture looked to be taken in the middle of nowhere. he failed to show a picture, for balance, of the bodies of hypothermia victims stacked in freezer containers outside hospitals in the UK after a bad winter, due to his "so-called" global "warming".

time we got these arrogant councillors out of office. then we can open up the roads to everyone, not just bus passengers.

well i did try for you at the council meeting, next stop - the ballot box.

remember UKIP next time you vote.

thank you.

Thank you for the contribution. I will ignore the blatant electioneering as it's all so much blah blah to me. That is not a direct slight towards your party. It is directed at the whole political class who parade their arrogance and disregard of the electorate as if they were a virtues.

With particular regard to the section I have highlighted I will make these comments...

...If what you say is accurate then I want to hear from Councillor Leigh Bramall why, if it's "set in stone," have the council WASTED money on a consultation period?

Whatever the answer I have this to say to the councillor if he is reading this...

...NOTHING is "set in stone!"

This protest is in its earliest stage. You have a fight on your hands!

COUNCILLOR BRAMALL...show me the proof of your statement in council that, "Most people want this!"

Of course, if you deny those were your words then feel free to say so here on a public forum.

There is a point, though. There are only a "handful" of signatures, but that doesn't mean that nobody cares - many will be unaware. Would be good to have more signatures, more people behind it..

Perhaps some campaign material? There are 2 very popular pubs up that way that I am guessing would be open to a poster on their notice boards for instance

There is a point, though. There are only a "handful" of signatures, but that doesn't mean that nobody cares - many will be unaware. Would be good to have more signatures, more people behind it..

Perhaps some campaign material? There are 2 very popular pubs up that way that I am guessing would be open to a poster on their notice boards for instance

See post 63. Other irons are in the fire.

I agree about the general lack of local awareness which is why Councillor Bramall needs to show EXACTLY what SUPPORT he has for this project.

...COUNCILLOR BRAMALL...show me the proof of your statement in council that, "Most people want this!"

Of course, if you deny those were your words then feel free to say so here on a public forum.

Exactly. As a local resident, who uses this route as a pedestrian, bus user and car driver, I'd like to see flesh on that statement.

Exactly. As a local resident, who uses this route as a pedestrian, bus user and car driver, I'd like to see flesh on that statement.

Agreeded I rarely get the bus, but do use it as well as my car and walking. I really do not think the traffic warrants a bus lane. As a pedestrain it is always nice to turn off Queens road and have the trees and greenery, looks like instead I will have to see yet more concrete. I drive but I go down there at 7:00ish so miss the main rush hour and there is never a problem coming back up the hill, as like everyone says it is not the junction that causes any tailbacks, but the traffic lights, and they will not be able to be changed.

I get sick of consultancy plans, they mostly seem a waste of time as the decisions always seem to have already be made due to finanical incentives.