Entrepreneur or a bit of a scallywag?

You for real? He might not have made loads of money selling fruit and veg... He has on the other hand found a way of making cash

Did you manage to make 14K by the time you were 15 off your own back?

He is doing it in a selfish, antisocial and illicit way. He's encouraging atrocious eating habits in people who already eat too much refined sugar and who are likey to die before their parents unless they do something about their diet. Consumption of high-sugar foods has been shown to affect learning and behaviour in many children - the teachers will have to deal with that, to the detriment of the whole class. That is not a cause for celebration, in my book. There has to be an ethical/ moral dimension to enterprise and it is entirely absent here.

How would you feel about someone who did the same thing in a hospital - made a fortune peddling sweets, or alcohol or cigarettes to patients against the hospital's rules? Would that be amazing entrepreneurship...or just plain selfish and grasping?

Edited by aliceBB

Obese, controlling schoolteachers...you need to keep your fantasies under control.

And by the way - your notion of what happens in schools is about 90 years out of date. Keep up. For a start, it is the kids who are fat these days, not the teachers...one good reason why this 15 year old criminal in the making needs taking to task, not congratulating. The country is in the grip of an epidemic of tooth decay, obesity and Type II diabetes and he is illicitly supplying the entire school with concentrated forms of sugar...skunk.

Second, fyi, teachers would rather poke their eye out with a stick than take anything from a kid's lunchbox - would you? Most teachers end up eating their lunch in the canteen on 'crowd control', that's if they get a lunch break at all.

And no, teachers are not allowed to confiscate food, but if a kid brings contraband items into school (fizzy drinks, sweets, etc), these can be taken off them and parents can be required to collect them. If it is a regular occurrence parents would be contacted about how to get their kid to make healthier choices.

Contraband! :hihi::hihi: What a larf!

Crowd control??? Even bigger larf!

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

:rolleyes: I rest my case.

er you dont have one:loopy:

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 18:56 ----------

He is doing it in a selfish, antisocial and illicit way. He's encouraging atrocious eating habits in people who already eat too much refined sugar and who are likey to die before their parents unless they do something about their diet. Consumption of high-sugar foods has been shown to affect learning and behaviour in many children - the teachers will have to deal with that, to the detriment of the whole class. That is not a cause for celebration, in my book. There has to be an ethical/ moral dimension to enterprise and it is entirely absent here.

How would you feel about someone who did the same thing in a hospital - made a fortune peddling sweets, or alcohol or cigarettes to patients against the hospital's rules? Would that be amazing entrepreneurship...or just plain selfish and grasping?

and there we go:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: the moral high ground being climbed once again lol:huh:

I'm surprised that Mr Beaurocracy hasn't entered the discussion- operating as a sole trader on school premises, HMRC, insurance, etc etc.

er you dont have one:loopy:

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 18:56 ----------

and there we go:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: the moral high ground being climbed once again lol:huh:

Ex- schoolteacher our Alice.

She hates kids on trampolines.

In Cafes/restaurants.

In gardens (their own of course)

And so on..

Ex- schoolteacher our Alice.

She hates kids on trampolines.

In Cafes/restaurants.

In gardens (their own of course)

And so on..

Unless you can substantiate these wild and silly claims, I suggest you stop making them.

Edited by aliceBB

Unless you can substantiate these wild and silly claims, I suggest you stop making them.

Only if you can substantiate your nonsensical claim that no teachers are fat. (post 35)

Only if you can substantiate your nonsensical claim that no teachers are fat. (post 35)

Er...you need to learn to read for meaning. Or just learn to read, perhaps.

This kid may be an entrepreneur but I wonder if he is the type of entrepreneur

this country doesn't want? If he is already breaking the rules, school rules, how long will it be before he is the type of entrepreneur who will be avoiding his tax and trying to get away with paying his employees less than the minimum wage?

How much is he currently paying his friends per day?

This kid may be an entrepreneur but I wonder if he is the type of entrepreneur

this country doesn't want? If he is already breaking the rules, school rules, how long will it be before he is the type of entrepreneur who will be avoiding his tax and trying to get away with paying his employees less than the minimum wage?

How much is he currently paying his friends per day?

Very good point. It's a pity his so-called entrepreneurial skills weren't put into action to raise money legitimately for a charity, or out of school hours, rather than for exploiting a captive market illicitly for narrow selfish purposes. When I was teaching, it was expected that every tutor group came up with a plan to raise money for Children in Need, and there was actually a prize for the group which showed most flair and resourcefulness. Some of the things they did were fantastic and they raised thousands. We made a point of detailing everyone's contribution to this collective endeavour on their report and if they were outstanding in their flair/effort, it would go on University and college references. There would be a handful of kids in each form who'd stand out as being good organisers of people, mature and with a real eye for how to make a profit. They were the future business leaders, not this tiresome young self-server.

As for rules 'being made to be broken', I think any we know that only children and revolutionaries believe that. In a free country there are generally good reasons for rules. There are very good reasons for example, why schools do not allow sweets and fizzy drinks to be sold on the premises these days. If you feel strongly that a rule is wrong, you take your grievance to a School Councils and campaign to have rules changed. Did he do that? Of course not.

As I said, business enterprise has to go hand in hand with maturity and responsibility. This lad is simply being selfish. He has shown no evidence that when he gets out into the real world that he has any skills which will get him anywhere except into a detention centre.

Edited by aliceBB

but thats exactly what an entrepreneur does:rolleyes: exploits an untapped market and thats exactly what he has done nobody else did it and he jumped at it, rules are made to be broken its just some have the guts to break them to get in front, good for him.

better this way than deluded wasters who sit on their ass and expect everyone else to pick the bill up

---------- Post added 22-11-2014 at 13:19 ----------

You are against total inclusion in schools? Please tell me what type of children you think shouldn't be included. I'm genuinely intrigued to hear your views on this.

I would say it is more to do with health and safety concerns and the fact that the items he is selling are proven to negatively impact the concentration levels of children.

If your child bought these sweets and became seriously ill due to a bad batch or out of date confectionery, would you blame the school? Would you sue them,

where did i say i was against inclusion??? what i said was that school policies now demand everyone gets included and what they dont like is one person /pupil being better or seen to be better they want a level playing field remember sports days? where nobodywon and all were winners!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: this lad should actually be a role model to the other kids.

as for the health and safety angle you are on about absolute rubbish when was the last time you heard that someone became ill from an out of date sweet??? sugar is a preservative it doesnt go off:rolleyes:

Bold I quote you from post 10 "i mean its likely a schools policies of total inclusion, bullying anyone or anything that doesn't fit that to conform and to ensure that no pupil is seen better or more successful than the weaker ones."

You strongly infer that you are against total inclusion. Things don't have to be said directly. The health and safety angle is not rubbish. It is a shame that we have to think about thinks like this, but it is the society we live in.

It is scientifically proven that consumption of the goods this young man is selling has adverse effects on a child's learning. A school is there to get the best out of the children, so limiting the amount of adverse effects is part of their job.

We live in a world in which Mcdonald's can be sued for not having "warning hot contents" on their coffee cups when an idiot spills it on them. A school that shared the same field as my secondary school was sued when a local scallywag fell through a roof he was not supposed to be on (on a weekend, he and his friends were drinking on the roof). Letting an unlicensed, unregistered trader operate on their premises would be stupid of the school.

The age of this trader is not relevant. If it was an adult would you still be praising their spirit?

Do teachers have their lunch boxes checked?

I can just see some fat lard arse teacher taking kids treats and scoffing them.

No because rightly or wrongly, the law would prohibit schools having this much control over their staff. In the same way I was continually forced to do detention whilst at school (I was a naughty boy), my employer now could not legally detain me as punishment for my attitude. Nor could they just not pay me for the work I do, unlike school who never gave me a single paycheck.

The rules are different, surely you know this?

I'm surprised that Mr Beaurocracy hasn't entered the discussion- operating as a sole trader on school premises, HMRC, insurance, etc etc.

I kind of did back on page 2.