Religion on tv ?

Bring back "Highway" with Harry Secombe. You knew it was Sunday night when that came on, and back to school in the morning.

Can't they get Richard Dawkins or someone else with a bit of clout to lead some sort of protest if they feel so strongly about not having a representative.

They have representatives from non-religious organisations like the BHA but, in most areas of the country, they are not permitted to take part and lay a wreath at the official ceremony.

The non-religious out-number the majority of faiths in this country; yet representatives from minority faiths are invited to take part. It's only right that non-religious representatives are invited also.

They can still attend and take part if they choose, no one is going to ask whether anyone believes or not.

How can they take part in the official ceremony when they are excluded from it?

There isn't that much praying and hymn singing, can't they just switch off in those few moments, that's what I would do if the hymn wasn't to my liking.

Remembrance day was meant to be secular - without having any religion dominating it. It's meant for everyone: non-religious included. The fact that Christians hijacked the ceremony isn't really the issue here though. Half the UK population are non-religious - including a great number of non-religious members of the armed forces who have fought and died for this country. Not recognising them - and not permitting non-religious representatives to take part in the official ceremony is being exclusive and discriminatory.

The Church of England is the leading religion of this country.

At the rate the CofE is declining, I can't see that being the case for much longer. That said, remembrance day should have representatives from all faiths and none.

Edited by Ryedo40

You might want to have a read up on what Satanism actually is.

TBH I am not that bothered. Its just that altus keeps going on about satanic rememberance so I was marginally curious. Its more than a quick rewrite to the prayers and music choice then?

---------- Post added 20-11-2014 at 09:24 ----------

How can they take part in the official ceremony when they are excluded from it?

Are they actually prevented from attending or merely not invited to be on the stage?

---------- Post added 20-11-2014 at 09:25 ----------

Half the UK population are non-religious

According to the 2011 UK census only 25% are non-religious, a touch less than half :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

TBH I am not that bothered. Its just that altus keeps going on about satanic rememberance so I was marginally curious. Its more than a quick rewrite to the prayers and music choice then?

It's certainly not praying to the devil, sacrificing virgins or dancing naked.

What on Earth does Voodoo Chile have to do with it? :suspect:

The only reason I keep going on about it is I'm interested in knowing how janie48 would feel about attending a religious service where she objects to the religion of the person conducting it. She seems reluctant to answer though.

According to the 2011 UK census only 25% are non-religious, a touch less than half :)

Either way, the non-religious are the second-largest group. And, of course, I seriously doubt that most who tick the religious box are actually religious.

https://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religion-and-belief-some-surveys-and-statistics/

Are they actually prevented from attending or merely not invited to be on the stage?

They are excluded. Those running the show refuse to allow them to take part in the official event.

http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-formers/bha-british-humanist-association/article/bha-non-religious-excluded-from-official-remembrance-day-com

What on Earth does Voodoo Chile have to do with it? :suspect:

Its the first track I could think of that sounded vaguely demonic :)

I suppose I could have had dance with the devil or devil woman :)

They have representatives from non-religious organisations like the BHA but, in most areas of the country, they are not permitted to take part and lay a wreath at the official ceremony.

The non-religious out-number the majority of faiths in this country; yet representatives from minority faiths are invited to take part. It's only right that non-religious representatives are invited also.

How can they take part in the official ceremony if they are excluded from it?

Remembrance day was meant to be secular - without having any religion dominating it. It's meant for everyone: non-religious included. The fact that Christians hijacked the ceremony isn't really the issue here though. Half the UK population are non-religious - including a great number of non-religious members of the armed forces who have fought and died for this country. Not recognising them - and not permitting non-religious representatives to take part in the official ceremony is being exclusive and discriminatory.

A the rate the CofE is declining, I can't see that being the case for much longer. That said, remembrance day should have representatives from all faiths and none.

They are taking part if they are present at the gathering.

I really don't know why they aren't permitted to lay a wreath at the ceremony because the leading politicians representing the different political parties are not denied the privilege of laying a wreath if they are atheist.

If the non religious members of the armed forces object to the religious element you would expect them to raise that objection in some way, i'm sure they could find a way of doing so if it bothered them so much.

I doubt many would wish to really, from what we hear about the armed forces, friendship and solidarity is of more importance, especially in combat, rather then the concern of what another does or doesn't believe.

Yes the Church of England may be declining, but it still exercises a lot of power, and lack of church attendance isn't necessarily an indication faith is dying, there are plenty of people who don't attend church who believe.

---------- Post added 20-11-2014 at 16:22 ----------

The only reason I keep going on about it is I'm interested in knowing how janie48 would feel about attending a religious service where she objects to the religion of the person conducting it. She seems reluctant to answer though.
With the exception of your "Satanist " fixation, I wouldn't object to attending any religious service for a certain occasion, would you? Edited by janie48

I really don't know why they aren't permitted to lay a wreath at the ceremony because the leading politicians representing the different political parties are not denied the privilege of laying a wreath if they are atheist.

Politicians aren't there representing non-belief or belief. They are there representing government and their political party. Religious leaders are there representing their religion. Humanists, representing the non-religious, aren't allowed. And that's discrimination.

If the non religious members of the armed forces object to the religious element you would expect them to raise that objection in some way, i'm sure they could find a way of doing so if it bothered them so much.

The religious element isn't really the issue. It's supposed to be a secular event where representatives from all our communities are permitted to take part; a Christian official can say go on and say their bit in remembrance of those who have died - and lay a wreath; so can a Muslim official and so on. But a non-religious official - such as a leading member of the BHA - isn't allowed to go on and make a speech or lay a wreath in remembrance of the non-religious who have died for this country. That's the issue.

Edit: as I said previously though, progress is being made. Some local authorities, including Sheffield:), are now allowing Humanist representatives to take part. And that's a step in the right direction.

Edited by Ryedo40

Edit: as I said previously though, progress is being made. Some local authorities, including Sheffield:), are now allowing Humanist representatives to take part. And that's a step in the right direction.

Yes, well some of them even appear on the BBC religious programmes, so there's a little progress.

And much to my surprise, some of them have been quite nice, all things considered. ;)

Edited by janie48

With the exception of your "Satanist " fixation, I wouldn't object to attending any religious service for a certain occasion, would you?

So you wouldn't attend a religious service conducted by someone who's religion you object to but maintain that non-believers should attend services conducted by someone who's religion they object to. Seems a little inconsistent to me.

We aren't really a secular country though, so perhaps that's the reason.

The main problem is the privileged position of the CofE. But our country is mainly secular - and so are most of it laws.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/the-courts-are-secular-says-top-family-judge/5038456.fullarticle