Ched Evans to train with SUFC

nikki-red

Not that it'll happen but I hope the club tell him to do one. Everyone has an opinion, they are as common as the anus. If he was on the United board then fair enough but I hope the club stick by their decision and don't change just because an MP has wrote an open letter.

Why would United bring all this adverse publicity upon themselves.and split the fan base especially considering you now have money behind you.....you could go and buy/loan a centre forward who is better than what Evans is/was ...?

It must be annoying for someone who expects to get his way to now find our that the club ignored him. So he throws a tantrum and writes an open letter.

IMO, an open letter says more about the person writing it than it does about the actual subject.

Just shows how politically apathetic I have become I had never heard of Paul Bloomfield before today and thought Richard Caborn was still the sitting MP for Sheffield Central

Exactly, can't get the job done by himself, writes an open letter to generate more support.

The letter says that he's been approached by many of his constituents. It is his job to represent them.

He's a very good constituency MP and he has every right to voice his opinions. He also puts a very cogent argument. Maybe you should read his letter a couple of times and think more about the points that he raises.

He's a very good constituency MP and he has every right to voice his opinions. He also puts a very cogent argument. Maybe you should read his letter a couple of times and think more about the points that he raises.

Like I said, opinions are like the anus.

The letter says that he's been approached by many of his constituents. It is his job to represent them.

All of which can be done by speaking directly to the club, as he has appeared to have already done. He does not need to issue an open letter. That just smacks of him throwing a tantrum.

The issue here is that he didn't get his way - clearly he is not as influential as he would like to think he is, so he writes an open letter in an attempt to embarrass the club into conceding to him. he couldn't do it by the strength of his argument, so he resorts to bullying.

He was not treated with the respect and kow-towing that he expected, so he went public.

He is one person, with an opinion, the same as anyone else.

Added to that, he is an MP, and so represents his constituents. Does he know the view of his constituents as a whole? I doubt it. In reality, the people who have contacted him will be a self selecting group who want SU to have nothing to do with CE. In these circumstances, he is less likely to be approached by people who actively want SU to accept CE back (in whatever form), but there's no reason for them to. People complain when they have an axe to grind, not when things are going OK for them.

I have divided opinions on this.

Evans argues that he was given consent. But in the eyes of the law there was question mark over whether the girl in question was in a fit state of mind to give consent.

For this, 12 members of the public agreed the girl wasn't fit to make the judgement after reviewing all the evidence.

Evans is yet to offer any explanation of how this is wrong. All he says is that he had consent. Which a jury disagreed with.

The presence of the other chap in question is irrelevant - she willingly went to the hotel room with him. She did not with Evans.

Paul Blomfield recognises Evans's major failing here. He had sex with a woman who in the eyes of the law did not enter that room to have sex with Evans, did not expect Evans to show up, and was in no fit state to agree to having sex with Evans when he did show up. He took advantage of a vulnerable woman with an immoral and despicable act. Yet Evans recognises this only as an 'act of infidelity' and believes the only victim is his girlfriend.

While I am firmly of the opinion that all convicted criminals should be allowed to freely carry on with their lives after they have served their time (with the exception of those that are potentially a threat to minors and vulnerable people), there has to be some recognition of the crime committed, and some remorse shown.

Evans shows no remorse; his attitude to the case and his apology aimed primarily at his girlfriend shows he still has no regret for his actions and the consequences they have had on the victim.

If he feels so strongly that he is innocent, and that he has a case for appealing and overturning his conviction (which he has tried once and failed on) then he should take a step back from the public eye until his name is cleared. If his name is cleared then debate over.

If he can't clear his name, then he should accept what 12 of his peers have concluded: he is guilty, and is a rapist. He should stop stamping his feet and demanding they change their minds just because he doesn't like it. He should do the right thing. He should show humility and compassion. He should apologise to his victim.

Until he does that, then anyone who employs him, associates with him, or champions his cause should hang their heads in shame.

Why would United bring all this adverse publicity upon themselves.and split the fan base especially considering you now have money behind you.....you could go and buy/loan a centre forward who is better than what Evans is/was ...?

What a very good question - is something else going on, it doesn't make sense.

Anyway in todays Star - 'Sheffield United (not an actual person though) last night insisted that they will not allow 'mob justice' to influence their decision on whether or not to re-sign Ched Evans'

What a desperate and transparent attempt at manipulating the English language ie for 'mob justice' insert 'public opinion' or 'integrity'.

Looking back it seems logical that it was always the intention of the club to re-sign him.

Attempts to avoid controversy by keeping heads down and saying nothing have failed (a bit naive for professional people).

Feeling their hand forced the club have come to the decision to dig the hole they are in a little deeper. The reputation of the club is tarnished.

I do not think attendances will necessarily be affected - while there are bound to be some previously loyal fans willing to stand by their principles and stay away there will be many who will want to grasp the opportunity of seeing a player in action who surely must have the combined talents of Suarez and Ronaldo.

No pressure then NC.

Evans argues that he was given consent. But in the eyes of the law there was question mark over whether the girl in question was in a fit state of mind to give consent.

For this, 12 members of the public agreed the girl wasn't fit to make the judgement after reviewing all the evidence.

Evans is yet to offer any explanation of how this is wrong. All he says is that he had consent. Which a jury disagreed with.

The presence of the other chap in question is irrelevant - she willingly went to the hotel room with him. She did not with Evans.

Paul Blomfield recognises Evans's major failing here. He had sex with a woman who in the eyes of the law did not enter that room to have sex with Evans, did not expect Evans to show up, and was in no fit state to agree to having sex with Evans when he did show up. He took advantage of a vulnerable woman with an immoral and despicable act. Yet Evans recognises this only as an 'act of infidelity' and believes the only victim is his girlfriend.

While I am firmly of the opinion that all convicted criminals should be allowed to freely carry on with their lives after they have served their time (with the exception of those that are potentially a threat to minors and vulnerable people), there has to be some recognition of the crime committed, and some remorse shown.

Evans shows no remorse; his attitude to the case and his apology aimed primarily at his girlfriend shows he still has no regret for his actions and the consequences they have had on the victim.

If he feels so strongly that he is innocent, and that he has a case for appealing and overturning his conviction (which he has tried once and failed on) then he should take a step back from the public eye until his name is cleared. If his name is cleared then debate over.

If he can't clear his name, then he should accept what 12 of his peers have concluded: he is guilty, and is a rapist. He should stop stamping his feet and demanding they change their minds just because he doesn't like it. He should do the right thing. He should show humility and compassion. He should apologise to his victim.

Until he does that, then anyone who employs him, associates with him, or champions his cause should hang their heads in shame.

He thinks he is innocent and has every right to pursue that through the courts. As a result, there's no way, at present, that he could satisfy those who want him to show remorse. It is just not going to happen.

He has every right to try and continue his career, and I've no doubt someone will be prepared to employ him if he is still good enough.

The nearest comparison I can think of in other walks of life is the case of members of the cabinet. When they become the story, pretty much for whatever reason, then they invariably step aside while they sort out whatever it is. If CE followed a similar route, he would delay any attempted comeback until his appeals have finished one way or the other. I can understand him not wishing to do this, as a footballer's career is short, and he has already lost a couple of years.

From the clubs point of view, I think it is fine to let him train.

Also, I think it is OK for a club to offer him a contract and for him to play. It would leave a bit of a nasty taste, as he hasn't shown remorse - but as I've said above, I can't see that happening while ever the appeals are still going through. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, he has served the custodial part of his sentence, so he is free to play.

Although I think it's OK for a club to offer him a contract, and if he's still any good, then someone surely will, I just hope it isn't Sheffield United. There is just too much baggage, especially with the insensitive and tasteless support shown by some of the supporters since his arrest. It would be better if he went somewhere else.

I have three contrasting opinions...

1) I'm a Sheffield United supporter and want to get promotion, so I'd love us to have a 30 goal a season striker. I think this is the thing that motivates most fans.

2) I believe that if you have served your sentence you should be allowed back into society and should be able to be a constructive part of it.

3) I don't want a convicted rapist playing for my football club, especially one who is not repentant. I think this one out-weighs the other two for me.

I suppose nobody will know the truth about what happened apart from the people who were there, but I do believe that he did rape her as she was too drunk to give consent. And yes, that is rape and it's just as bad as any other rape and shouldn't be dismissed.

If he had admitted that and been repentant I would have felt more likely to want him back at the club.

Good post!

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 14:29 ----------

I have three contrasting opinions...

1) I'm a Sheffield United supporter and want to get promotion, so I'd love us to have a 30 goal a season striker. I think this is the thing that motivates most fans.

2) I believe that if you have served your sentence you should be allowed back into society and should be able to be a constructive part of it.

3) I don't want a convicted rapist playing for my football club, especially one who is not repentant. I think this one out-weighs the other two for me.

I suppose nobody will know the truth about what happened apart from the people who were there, but I do believe that he did rape her as she was too drunk to give consent. And yes, that is rape and it's just as bad as any other rape and shouldn't be dismissed.

If he had admitted that and been repentant I would have felt more likely to want him back at the club.

Another good post!

A big part of going to the Blades is going with my 7 year old boy. I don't want to have to explain this to him and I don't want him to see an un-repentant convicted rapist playing for us.

From a PR point of view this should all be a no-brainer. Let him rebuild his career elsewhere.