UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU

How many more reasons do we need to get out of this money pit once and for all. The EU circus is taking us for mugs and neither the Tories or Labour have got the balls to give us the IN / OUT referendum we deserve , because they know exactly what the result will be ...............OUT.This dictatorship in Brussels ,run by faceless suits is destroying our country with its rules and laws. we have no control over people movement from EU countries , we pay billions into this farce ,and get dictated to in return. The EU needs dismantling ASAP .

I'm sure that the Tories have said we will get an IN / OUT referendum if they win the next election.

Just checked and Cameron promises In-out choice by end of 2017.

Edited by SavannahP

Heard it this morning in the car and knew this would be a topic :) My personal view: This has been communicated completely ineptly and whoever is responsible for how this story became a story within Whitehall needs to be sacked.

A lot of ignorance as usual in this thread. My personal view however is also one of disbelief. Let me make a few things clear though, this is the result of an agreed change (agreed by... Cameron in his role as EU Commission member as head of state as well as being the man responsible for appointing our EU Commissioner) in how GDP gets calculated, reworking the books on the basis of this new view has triggered this request for a payment.

I think that it is daft and unfair and should under no circumstance be applied retrospectively. However, friend Cameron, in his complete ineptitude never saw this coming because all he is concerned with is p-ing off the EU to save a few votes going to UKIP.

And yes, this is indeed the EU biting back, but that is in fact what gets my blood boiling, all they are doing is fueling the anti-EU stance of many people.

A few misunderstandings to rectify:

It is bizarre, the Netherlands actually have been told to pay a far bigger chunck per head of population.

This is what the Daily Mail will have you believe, it is a myth. Although there have been errors, the books have been signed off. This is not odd though, an organisation as enormous as the EU will have errors in its books, as does the UK government, tell me when the last time a UK budget was A)audited and B) error free?

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 11:15 ----------

Irrelevant, it is to do with the different manner of calculating it, in the new calculation method the German economy is found to be smaller than previously thought and the UK economy bigger than previously thought.

The more anti EU feeling we get the better .

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 13:29 ----------

I'm sure that the Tories have said we will get an IN / OUT referendum if they win the next election.

Just checked and Cameron promises In-out choice by end of 2017.

Both the Tories AND Labour will promise an in/out referendum in their election manifestos ,but neither will keep that promise. People should not be taken in by their lies over a referendum , they are just after votes .

The more anti EU feeling we get the better .

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 13:29 ----------

Both the Tories AND Labour will promise an in/out referendum in their election manifestos ,but neither will keep that promise. People should not be taken in by their lies over a referendum , they are just after votes .

We don't agree on much Penistone, but we do agree on this.

Personally, I think the EU would be glad to see the back of us

A significant amount of British people would be extremely happy to see the back of the EU for good.

A significant amount of British people would be extremely happy to see the back of the EU for good.

I really don't like the carrot and stick approach...vote for us and we'll......<insert appropriate wild promise>....

Lets face it, the Scots were hoodwinked by that one! (IMO)

Funnily enough I'd rather believe them than you. Cameron kept his word on an In Out referendum for Scotland. I know that UKIP would give an In Out referendum on Europe and so would the Tories. I've heard nothing from Labour that suggests they would offer the same.

So currently the way out of the EU seems to rest on those 2 parties. It just depends on which you think will be in a position to host a referendum.

FYP ;):lol:

Hahaha...Nice one Loob....They're all as bad as one another....I've said before, they've all got their noses in the same trough...:)

I reckon what will happen in this case is that David Cameron will bluster and fume a bit and promise to fight our corner in Europe. After many hours of deals, arguing and robust dinners he will announce that he has succeeded in overturning the decision and this proves that he, and only he, can be trusted to renegotiate our relationship with the EU.

Then in December we'll pay over the £1.7bn.

I reckon what will happen in this case is that David Cameron will bluster and fume a bit and promise to fight our corner in Europe. After many hours of deals, arguing and robust dinners he will announce that he has succeeded in overturning the decision and this proves that he, and only he, can be trusted to renegotiate our relationship with the EU.

I would find your analysis rather more convincing if I hadn't read your signature. We have windows that aren't as easy to see through.

I think you may be right there Taxman.....I'll be watching with interest how he's gonna slide around this little banana skin...

I was thinking something very similar. :hihi:

Regards

Doom