Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

Im sure I have read on this forum before that people have been given change vouchers before that you can cash in at the Olive Grove depot. This was a while back though, dont see why these new vouchers would be any different.

It depends on the bus company. Stagecoach you can cash them in. The voucher is issued because they dont have enough change. They should be contacted about it because i cant see it being mentioned on their website. If you can cash it in, then I cant see what all the moaning (notwithstanding that this is Sheffield forum tradition) is for, especially if the alternative would be to refuse passengers who didnt have the correct fare. I wouldnt take what the bus driver said as gospel either becayse theres often a lot of confusion.

I use a travel pass nowadays, but when I did have to pay I regularly collected change in a jar so I'd always have plenty of coins for my fare. I originate from a much smaller city and the bus companies there have operated a system of 'exact fares' for years. The money goes into a slot, and isn't handled by the driver. I only overpaid the first time, after that I made sure I had plenty of change!

I think prepaid cards that can be topped up are the way forward. It's obvious when someone only has to scan a card that boarding is much quicker than waiting for people to find their money, or for change to be given. Perhaps the bus companies could start by letting people with passes and exact fares on first. That would give the fumblers time to find their money, and possibly add to the driver's float. :o

I always thought it was an unspoken rule, that if you didnt have exact change, or needed to find your money, you pulled out of the queue and went to the back to make sure you found your money or there was change there.

Am I wrong for thinking that?

The last time I rode the bus, was given change back, no voucher (this was last week) and my other half got the bus yesterday and was handed back change as well. These were buses on Chesterfield Rd.

I always thought it was an unspoken rule, that if you didnt have exact change, or needed to find your money, you pulled out of the queue and went to the back to make sure you found your money or there was change there.

Am I wrong for thinking that?

The last time I rode the bus, was given change back, no voucher (this was last week) and my other half got the bus yesterday and was handed back change as well. These were buses on Chesterfield Rd.

If the driver has change he'll give it, the change voucher isn't replacing giving change, it's only used if there isn't any to give