Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

Sorry but getting change is always possible,

This is one of my pet hates, if you know you are going to be travelling by bus how hard is it to makes sure you have change there are always shops, post offices that will quite gladly change your £10/£20 note, and usually bus stops are quite close to shops,

no it isnt, i know it aint sheff but i have to really plan in advance for my fares as our village only has one shop, and it closes hat 6 on a night, so if im late home i cant use it, theres no cardcash machine for miles, nearest co ops a mile walk round trip

good job i buy a £19 weekly ticket for work and can pay with a £20 note or two tenners lol

Drivers should not have to collect cash at any time. Many cities across the globe have been managing cashless buses for ages. It's a time consuming distraction for drivers, and delays both the service and other road users. Fare collection on board is an antiquated system.

Other methods area available. If public transport is to recover even a small proportion of those passengers lost to cars it needs to make bus travel simple and welcoming.

I wouldn't know the cost of most bus tickets before boarding and asking the driver. If I got the shirty responses some suggest (having found the route and timetable, a challenge in itself) I'd not be encouraged to try another bus. Vouchers would infuriate me.

having found the route and timetable, a challenge in itself

whats wrong with just googling it and using the travelplanner?

They will move to cashless machines when they think its economically viable. They are businesses. Far as I know I think you can recash the vouchers but you have to go to a customer service desk. Some of the bus companies do this. From the buses ive caught lately then they have always offered change. they were first buses.

when ya leave depot in a morning , get to start point - put ur company issue £5 float in the tray , then the dreaded "sorry , ive got no less" with notes from 1st few passengers , best will & intention in the world tells you drivers cant keep changing notes all day ..... sure some folk think u can press a button & a light comes on over the top like it does in Tesco & a manager comes dashin over with a load of change .....99% of folk know they will be using the bus next morning or when ever .... so at some point during the day or previous day I would expect most ppl go in a shop for summat .... hardly rocket science to ask for change in £1 coins , a shop has a safe , a bus doesn't !!

having found the route and timetable, a challenge in itself

whats wrong with just googling it and using the travelplanner?

Nowt wrong with it, if you're computer literate like most folks on here. But if you have a car the first googling will be to find the best route and where to park. Those with cars need to be weaned back to public transport and the slightest barriers will deter.

However, we're talking about having change. It's no longer rocket science to operate extensive bus networks without any cash at all. Once the bullet is bitten it's very cost effective. Like London has done: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/06/london-buses-cashless

But they're behind many other cities worldwide, some of which were managing without cash a decade or more ago.

No cash means no change needed. No cash for the driver to cash up at the end of the shift. No £5 bag of change to start. No office staff to count cash. No need for banking cash. Less delay at stops for buses, and for following traffic. Win:win.

It will be done in Sheffield, but we're years behind.

Nowt wrong with it, if you're computer literate like most folks on here. But if you have a car the first googling will be to find the best route and where to park. Those with cars need to be weaned back to public transport and the slightest barriers will deter.

However, we're talking about having change. It's no longer rocket science to operate extensive bus networks without any cash at all. Once the bullet is bitten it's very cost effective. Like London has done: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/06/london-buses-cashless

But they're behind many other cities worldwide, some of which were managing without cash a decade or more ago.

No cash means no change needed. No cash for the driver to cash up at the end of the shift. No £5 bag of change to start. No office staff to count cash. No need for banking cash. Less delay at stops for buses, and for following traffic. Win:win.

It will be done in Sheffield, but we're years behind.

Sheffield isnt London. They are businesses. they will do it when it makes economic sense to them. As you say its not rocket science.

Sheffield isnt London. They are businesses. they will do it when it makes economic sense to them. As you say its not rocket science.

They are a business that is subsidised by the taxpayer.

They would do well to remember that.

Maybe they should place modernisation and standards of service above fleecing the taxpayer to pay shareholders.

They are a business that is subsidised by the taxpayer.

They would do well to remember that.

Maybe they should place modernisation and standards of service above fleecing the taxpayer to pay shareholders.

Would you rather have a new bus or new ticket machine? I dont know the calculation or cost of a new ticketless system, but Im assuming they know how much it costs and the benefits it provides. Businesses run to make profits for shareholders, that should be through proviing a good service, which attracts customers. If you dont like it use another bus company or another mode of transport.