The Castle House Co op restaurant

Does anyone remember what the restaurant was called in the Castle House? I vaguely remember potted artificial palms and pie days? What do readers remember?

Does anyone remember what the restaurant was called in the Castle House? I vaguely remember potted artificial palms and pie days? What do readers remember?

I cannot remember the name but it was a good cafe just down the slope.

Apart from that the Castle House would have made a great Market sited in the traditional area.

Still could;)

My first job was there way back in 1972 when I was 16 but I'm sorry to say I can't remember the name ! ( old age creeping up ) I worked in the restaurant and also downstairs in the little barbecue chicken kiosk. I can remember making hundreds of little jellies in those fluted paper cases you used to get for kids parties in those days. The best part of the job was ten o clock break when we had the most gorgeous dripping from the roasts on crusty bread and the worst was having to trundle a cabinet of hot food all the way down to Suffolk Rd funeral home desperately hoping that no one I knew saw me !! I only stuck it about three months .

Was wendy dixon the manageress in the mid 90s. Brilliant manager and a top top person

In the 1970s (when the restaurant offered waitress service) I remember that in the lifts, the button for the 3rd floor was simply labelled "Restaurant", but according to an article in the Sheffield Telegraph, when the restaurant closed in 2008 it was called the "Society Park" (as nikki-red noted in post #3). Here is a link..:)

Yes it was called society park ,I worked there for a few years, and worked there before when it was waitress service ,

Just laughing abut the chicken kiosk mentioned. Roast chickens used to be a lot more popular back in the days/

In the 1970s (when the restaurant offered waitress service) I remember that in the lifts, the button for the 3rd floor was simply labelled "Restaurant", but according to an article in the Sheffield Telegraph, when the restaurant closed in 2008 it was called the "Society Park" (as nikki-red noted in post #3). Here is a link..:)

I think you might be right hillsbro. The restaurant was waitress service when I was there and there were also various private rooms for funeral teas , parties and weddings. Talking of the lifts , in the 70s they still had lift operators who asked which floor you wanted , pressed the buttons for you and announced the floor name as you alighted !

..in the 70s they still had lift operators who asked which floor you wanted , pressed the buttons for you and announced the floor name as you alighted !
This also applied in the early 1980s. I remember in c. 1983 I asked the lift lady for the "restaurant" and she replied "There isn't one, it will re-open in October". Perhaps this is when it changed to self-service.

This also applied in the early 1980s. I remember in c. 1983 I asked the lift lady for the "restaurant" and she replied "There isn't one, it will re-open in October". Perhaps this is when it changed to self-service.

Yes that's when it changed to society park restaurant only had a 7 year lease then closed down after that.

The lift operators were still in place until the department store closed about 5 years ago