Airliner possibly shot down over Ukraine

I can only hope that Malaysian Airlines dont end up going the same way as Pan Am did after Lockerbie.

It would be a shame if the airline got the reputation of being a jinx but people are superstitious.

With choices that we have today, I doubt people will choose MA, regardless of 'whose at fault' factors.

I doubt they'll last another month or two.

-

Regardless of the outcome of Malaysian Air Co, I hope some conspiracies come out about being an accident rather than shot down. I'll support them, until proven otherwise.

Though, given the info that we see on the news, and the fact that it was a 777, it looks unlikely to be an accident.

What sort of people fire at an airliner with people out of the loop of any political trouble that is going on between parties? Or fire at one for any reason for that matter? What defence has a passenger airline got?

It's F***in pussy behaviour! (as staff at work say, or similar)

At school, picking on the weak kid was even deemed out of order by the hardest - Picking on the defenceless was unthinkable unless by someone of severely low intellect, who might not have known better.

-

With the kind of 'selfies' and videoing of things now, I reckon that if someone shot it down, he/she recorded themselves doing it. And it will be found and shown.

Edited by *_ash_*

Lightning can strike the ground, other clouds or within a cloud. The tallest, well-documented thunderstorm reached 78,000' in Kansas in 1992. However, special types called red sprites, elfs and blue jets have been detected above thunderstorms to altitudes of 270,000'!

I would imagine if you were flying a military jet that had just knocked the tail off a civilian aircraft over Ukraine your commanders might want to keep a lid on it. Don't you? EG. Russian military plane..

It's quite obvious that the world now believes that the plane was shot down by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine. That is because the plane was indeed shot down by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine. Posting your rubbish on here isn't going to alter that reality.

It's quite obvious that the world now believes that the plane was shot down by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine. That is because the plane was indeed shot down by Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine. Posting your rubbish on here isn't going to alter that reality.

Actually that isn't what the world believes. It is clearly what you have decided for yourself and will dismiss any other possibility. The people od Russia certainly don't beieve that and as I have no idea about the opinions of the other 6 billion people on the planet I will keep an open mind until the matter has been investigated.

---------- Post added 19-07-2014 at 08:58 ----------

With choices that we have today, I doubt people will choose MA, regardless of 'whose at fault' factors.

-

Regardless of the outcome of Malaysian Air Co, I hope some conspiracies come out about being an accident rather than shot down. I'll support them, until proven otherwise.

Though, given the info that we see on the news, and the fact that it was a 777, it looks unlikely to be an accident.

What sort of people fire at an airliner with people out of the loop of any political trouble that is going on between parties? Or fire at one for any reason for that matter? What defence has a passenger airline got?

It's F***in pussy behaviour! (as staff at work say, or similar)

At school, picking on the weak kid was even deemed out of order by the hardest - Picking on the defenceless was unthinkable unless by someone of severely low intellect, who might not have known better.

-

With the kind of 'selfies' and videoing of things now, I reckon that if someone shot it down, he/she recorded themselves doing it. And it will be found and shown.

I wouldn't doubt that there will be selfies. Whether they will be genuine is another matter.

However consider this. If the Malaysian airlines was shot down.. and as yet it isn't clear that it was. And if it were shot down by a missile fired by the military opposition in Ukraine. What crime has been committed?

If Hamas launch missiles against Israel it is with the express purpose of killing civilians. However someone firing a missile at what he believes to be a military aircraft isn't.

It might even be that a missile was fired at a military plane which deployed countermeasures that caused the missile to lock onto another target. I doubt we will ever get to know. But unless someone deliberately intended to bring down a passenger jet then this would be unfortunate collateral damage.

Edited by roosterboost

The risk Putin wants to avoid, is the Separatists being declared a terrorist organisation.

That would make Russia a state sponsor of terrorism. The economic and political consequences of that would cripple Russia, and more importantly Putins oligarch backers.

Im learning Russian so am in contact with one or two Russians. The people have little appetite for this fight. Crimea had a purpose, East Ukraine is just a drain.

I'll fly with them again. Its a great human tragedy and most people will support the #MH17 family. This affects the whole airline community...

I don't think you will get many people canceling flying...

Passengers who wish to postpone or cancel their travel plans can obtain a refund, including for nonrefundable tickets

I wouldn't doubt that there will be selfies. Whether they will be genuine is another matter.

Yep, good point.

However consider this. If the Malaysian airlines was shot down.. and as yet it isn't clear that it was. And if it were shot down by a missile fired by the military opposition in Ukraine. What crime has been committed?

If Hamas launch missiles against Israel it is with the express purpose of killing civilians. However someone firing a missile at what he believes to be a military aircraft isn't.

It might even be that a missile was fired at a military plane which deployed countermeasures that caused the missile to lock onto another target. I doubt we will ever get to know. But unless someone deliberately intended to bring down a passenger jet then this would be unfortunate collateral damage.

I was talking with someone who compared the current probs in Gaza.

As bad as things are, I don't think they're quite the same thing. This is an ongoing conflict (which at the moment is looking really quite bad), like many other smaller conflicts. I don't think either have deliberately fired at people completely unrelated to the cause.

However, like you say, it could be the case of your next line.

I'll fly with them again. Its a great human tragedy and most people will support the #MH17 family. This affects the whole airline community...

I don't think you will get many people canceling flying...

Passengers who wish to postpone or cancel their travel plans can obtain a refund, including for nonrefundable tickets

Me too, but I don't think most people think like this. Or certainly lots of people (and hence enough to finish it).

Very close to me this now. Turns out that not only did the friend of an old school-friend of mine die with his three year old, it has now been made public that an undergraduate student of our department in Loughborough (but in a different branch) was on the plane as well. I didn't teach him, but we recently had a colleague pas away as well so this comes as an extra shock.

Really sad.

the image that will stay with me tzijlstra is of blackened coal-miners searching through fields of sunflowers for victims who are mostly from a country whose most famous 19th-century artist is best known for his paintings of sunflowers.