Help with info on my ww2 bullet

Are undertakers allowed to perform the type of work where it would be necessary to cut into a body to remove something, how did the undertaker know where the bullet was in the leg , was there a scar on the leg to guide him?? I would have thought this would have been performed at Post Mortem (if one was held) and the bullet removed by request of the family, some thing doesn't ring true about this at all.

Yes they are - they remove pacemakers or any other implant that may cause a risk during cremation. Many bodies never go into a hospital or have a post morgen examination.

Only thing I can tell you is its a German lugar pistol round used mainly by German officers, if you can read anything on it it will be a whole bullet and it would not have been inside anyone, as when it is fired the projectile leaves the casing and the casing is ejected out of the pistol on to the ground, the only part of the bullet inside anyone would be the lead end or the projectile of the bullet that would have no writing or identification on it,the story is not really true that you have been told as they would not have the whole bullet inside them unless he was shot and then went and picked the casing up after he had been shot:hihi: ...if the bullet is whole it may still have a charge in side it so it could still be live and dangerous, if as sometimes they used do for a keep sack was to take the live built apart and remove the powder,then it will be safe,if you can remove the lead end and see inside the casing and it is empty it will be safe...one way to tell if it is a spent or a bullet that has been fired is to look at the base of the bullet and you will see a small pin like indentation where the pistols striking pin has hit it to fire it...

The solution is to ask the Funeral Director the direct questions,

How did he know there was a bullet inside your grandfather ?

How did he know whereabouts it was ?

Did he retrieve the bullet in it's present form ?

.......... if you can read anything on it it will be a whole bullet and it would not have been inside anyone, ...

Have you not read the evidence that shows that, however unlikely, it is possible?

Thanks for your comment Twiglet, that makes sense. If the bullet was fired from a gun, as other people have said, no way would the casing have gone through the barrel, because of the rim, it would have been ejected.

The bullet could have entered the body as shrapnel, I suppose, from an explosion, but the OP clearly stated he was shot and not involved in an explosion of some sort, I don't think he would have survived it.

Have you not read the evidence that shows that, however unlikely, it is possible?

Not if, as the OP says, he was shot.

Not if, as the OP says, he was shot.

maybe it was shot from a catapult?

Anyway, given the OP was intending to make the bullet into a pendent, or some other such type of jewellery, is there any way the cartridge can be safely discharged so that the bullet can be recovered?

jb

Originally Posted by Obelix

" so if this were knocked it would almost certainly fire. However a bullet needs a barrel to do very much - if you fired it in free air there would me a small pop and the bullet may travel a few feet followed by a puff of flame and that's about all. "

Good post, and exactly what would happen. As a retired rifle shooter I have pulled hundreds of "live" bullets apart, to re use and reload the components.

If a live round was given to me, I would use my head puller tool to remove the projectile from the brass case, pour the powder away and the job is done. You can only be prosecuted for having "live" rounds, not the bits and pieces that make up a bullet.

If I had no head puller, I would simply use two pairs of pliars. Grip the case, grip the lead/copper end and simply twist and pull apart. Job done.

Angel1