Long drives - what do you do?

I first got behind the wheel on a provisional licence whilst working in the states when I was 18, although it wasn't until I passed my test in the UK 4 years later that I learnt to drive properly! I always found it easier to drive in the states or Canada though.

I've had quite a few driving adventures in both America and Canada, starting out from Vegas and heading in most directions, once heading to Monument Valley but not quite realising just how far away it was, and then heading through Bryce Canyon & Zion National Park on the way back. It would have been brilliant to do it in a Winnebago though...just stopping wherever the mood takes you.

I remember once doing a mad drive down to Grand Canyon National park, desperate to see the sun set over the canyon, we made it just in time & managed to get a log cabin for the night, then got up at the crack of sparrows to watch the sun rise. It was breathtaking.

I picked up a book whilst there called 'Grand Canyon - Over the Edge' which was full of true accounts of the many misdemeanours at the Canyon, it was a fascinatingly morbid read, and on that particular adventure, whoever wasn't driving would read chapters of the book to the driver on the drive back to Vegas.

I've no idea what happened to that book, it was a real coffee table read and I was constantly lending it out...I may have to have a look on eBay and see if it's available, apparently it's been updated in the last 5 years or so!

So what do you get up to?

set iPod to random play, or tune into motorway FM (French one is really good, classic easy-listening tunes & frequent announcements with updates),

set cruise about 10% above limit,

if and when a faster car drives by, maybe 'play' for a bit (relieves boredom, spikes up adrenalin a bit, improves travel times, burns off the dust) but

always let at least one faster car way out in front for 'opening the road' (and keep speedtrapping cops out in front busy)

and always drop cruise to limit for last couple of miles before a toll barrier (because 9/10 times, cops are going to have a speedtrap hidden just before it, with the receiving meatwagon at the toll)

play alphabetical, geographical and historical games with the little one and the Mrs. E.g. all the animals beginning with the letter A, round-robin, until only 1 player is left; then letter B <etc.> name the capital cities of countries <etc.>

and of course, frequent-ish stops (2 to 3 hrs) for refresh and oxygenation.

Edited by L00b

Yes it was rather epic that rain wasnt it... I got caught in it as well.

Long journeys - stick an audiobook on a USB flash drive and listen to that in the car. I've arrived at Wick before now, and spent a half hour in the car before getting out just so I can listen to the ending of a book before now :)

Audio books don't work for me.I find that when driving ocaisionaly something happens that requires a bit of concentration and that always seems to happen at a crucial part of the plot and I lose track.I find music or the radio better.

One of my sons and his family moved to Florida, 1200 miles away, and I'm not allowed to fly because I have emphysema. My wife does most of the driving in our van. So we go to York PA the first day, Savannah GA the second day, and arrive in Fort Myers FL the third day. Not too tired, but not as rich either. On the way back third day, we have a front wheel bearing go out on us while on the Washington DC beltway during rush hour, the worst time and place to be in the world, stagger into York PA and wait overnight for a repair. I won't have to do that again ever. I hate Florida, always have. So does my son, he's back home.

On long drives i just stick Radio 2 on and enjoy a few cigs along the way . Perfect.
I'm surprised eliminating cyclists isn't up there on the list of your driving entertainments

Find a station with, or have prep'd driving tunes, hunker down and eat up the miles.

If I'm going anywhere new to me I'll stop along the way and just have a look around. It's a must to try any sandwich shop when hunger strikes regardless of appearences/areas etc; never know what culinary delights ensue :P

She has got a point.

Getting annoyed with others is done by your own free choice. No matter what others do you have the freedom of choice to enjoy it or get annoyed.

The reason you don't feel like you have that freedom happens because it has become a habit and you blame the others for how you react instead of acknowledging your own responsibility of how you react.

I have stopped taking things personal and stopped believing others are responsible to behave a certain way to please my expectations. If I do get annoyed or upset I immediately look at myself as the source of that annoyance and calm down.

he only asked what people do on journeys, not a psychological insight into why he gets annoyed on the road :D

my long journeys are usually done by train so i have my ipod and kindle to see me through