Why do we need loads of Mps in government?

If as UKIP claim, 75% of our legislation comes from Brussels, I don't see why we need so many MPs here. We're paying for two governments so our lot should either reduce their numbers by 75% or take a 75% wage cut as they seem to have very little influence over our country.

Yes I agree with this. We are so heavily 'governed' we seem to have rules and regulations coming out of our ears. I'm sure it's because they're looking for something to do to justify their existence.

Mind you, I do think we need some sort of council for the North of England. The Northern experience is now totally different to the South East (for example 80% of investment goes to London creating new jobs etc.) and they are totally out of touch. We really need a body up here to fight our corner.

for example 80% of investment goes to London creating new jobs etc.

What proportion of GDP is generated in the London area?

I read somewhere that if we had the some number of representatives as the USA based on the population we would have 184 MPs.

We have 650.

A reduction to 300 wouldn't seem excessive.

To be replaced with what? Genuine question...

Something else. Maybe a system designed with a main goal of disallowing corruption.

Something else. Maybe a system designed with a main goal of disallowing corruption.

Have humans ever successfully designed such a system?

I can think of many attempts, all of them failures.

Have humans ever successfully designed such a system?

I can think of many attempts, all of them failures.

Oh dear :(

Let's forget it then and not be bothered that corruption is a virtual requirement for political success these days.

Or, if, as you seem to be suggesting, no systems have/can ever work, how about trying 'no system'? I don't recall that ever being tried.

Or maybe just set 'no system' as the unachievable idealistic goal, and just endeavour to get close to it?

Remember that both the US and India are federal - so each has an extra layer of representation at the state level for the people.

I know it's not the same thing but we have councils who are also responsible for a lot of things and many areas have two layers of that (district and county). It would need a proper re-evaluation on who does what but it's possible.

Oh dear :(

Let's forget it then and not be bothered that corruption is a virtual requirement for political success these days.

I meant have humans ever designed a system that is successful at preventing corruption?

I meant have humans ever designed a system that is successful at preventing corruption?

As far as I know, no-ones ever tried to build a political system with the prime goal of it being uncorrupt- that's why I suggested maybe giving it a go.

Not sure why, but, in general, people seem very accepting of corruption in politics- they seem to think it's inevitable.

As far as I know, no-ones ever tried to build a political system with the prime goal of it being uncorrupt- that's why I suggested maybe giving it a go.

Not sure why, but, in general, people seem very accepting of corruption in politics- they seem to think it's inevitable.

I'm not referring solely to political systems. All systems we've ever created have suffered from corruption at one point or another, or have been able to be corrupted.

Corruption is part of human nature, if it's possible to game a system for our own benefit, you can guarantee somebody will.

I'm not referring solely to political systems. All systems we've ever created have suffered from corruption at one point or another, or have been able to be corrupted.

Corruption is part of human nature, if it's possible to game a system for our own benefit, you can guarantee somebody will.

Well, just to be clear, I am referring to political systems.

What proportion of GDP is generated in the London area?

That's not the point. The divide is the point.

Taken to its natural conclusion, the less investment there is in the North of England, the worse it will get untill no one will invest up here at all and the North will become a third world wasteland of poverty and nothing else.

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 17:30 ----------

I read somewhere that if we had the some number of representatives as the USA based on the population we would have 184 MPs.

We have 650.

A reduction to 300 wouldn't seem excessive.

Didn't I hear somewhere that in the days of the British Raj, the whole of India was run by 140 civil servants?