NHS Opticians in Sheffield

You are getting goods and/or services for free, beggars can't be choosers.

Not "for free", everyone pays their taxes and NI contributions, that is how the system works.

It makes me laugh how many people have this ideoligy, when they or someone they know/love would be totally screwed if it wasn't there and circumstances wern't as they would like.

Been there, seen that... and STILL glad I pay my taxes.

Asda opticians are very good.......on one occasion I was referred to the hospital as the optician had seen some changes at the back of my eye. It was nothing serious thankfully but at least it was properly checked out.

Everything is always explained well and the staff are very friendly.

Sounds strange that they also get this choice. Surely the whole point of receiving the vouchers is because can't afford the glasses in the first place ? If they can find money to upgrade to designer glasses then surely they dont require the vouchers in the first place ?

The voucher is given towards the cost of the lenses, NHS frames are free. The voucher still sometimes not cover all of the cost of the lenses anyway, as it depends what strength prescription you need. Even with the voucher for a matter of £10 or so you can upgrade to a designer frame at Asda. Also Asda has got to be one of the best for value when buying specs. I go to an opticians in Sheffield and have done for a few years, but I dont buy my specs of them I always take the prescription to Asda and get 2 pairs of specs for less than what my own optician charges for one pair.

Edited by therascal

I am a bit sceptical about having it done in a supermarket, would feel a bit rushed to me.

I found Asda better than Specsavers. Specsavers were a bit rushed and I thought the optomotrist was quite abrupt

Edited by woggle

The voucher is given towards the cost of the lenses, NHS frames are free. The voucher still sometimes not cover all of the cost of the lenses anyway, as it depends what strength prescription you need. Even with the voucher for a matter of £10 or so you can upgrade to a designer frame at Asda. Also Asda has got to be one of the best for value when buying specs. I go to an opticians in Sheffield and have done for a few years, but I dont buy my specs of them I always take the prescription to Asda and get 2 pairs of specs for less than what my own optician charges for one pair.

Yes, but are the NHS frames free for everyone ? And can everyone receive these vouchers ?

It just seems strange that the vouchers can be used as part payment for an unnecessary upgrade to designer frames. Glasses aren't cheap and I know many people ( unable to claim benefits) who simply wouldn't be able to afford to upgrade, even if it is just £10 or £20. If the idea is to provide vouchers and offer free frames to help those less well off , that's all well and good, but when they are then able to upgrade to designer frames which someone who is unable to claim benefits can't afford, well that just seems a little wrong to me. If you can afford to upgrade to the unnecessary designer frames, then maybe you shouldn't be worthy of receiving the vouchers in the first place ?

Yes, but are the NHS frames free for everyone ? And can everyone receive these vouchers ?

It just seems strange that the vouchers can be used as part payment for an unnecessary upgrade to designer frames. Glasses aren't cheap and I know many people ( unable to claim benefits) who simply wouldn't be able to afford to upgrade, even if it is just £10 or £20. If the idea is to provide vouchers and offer free frames to help those less well off , that's all well and good, but when they are then able to upgrade to designer frames which someone who is unable to claim benefits can't afford, well that just seems a little wrong to me. If you can afford to upgrade to the unnecessary designer frames, then maybe you shouldn't be worthy of receiving the vouchers in the first place ?

I receive NHS vouchers because my lenses are high strength and complex, nothing to do with whether I claim certain benefits. The fact is, though, that the voucher is under £50 but my lenses are £200 each.

Whether the voucher is used to contribute to the cost of the lenses or the frame when I buy new glasses is neither here nor there really.

Are there any at Beighton as have been to Martin Kemp at Woodhouse but the selection isn't great ???

Also, Specsavers have a lousy selection this year as well and Vision Express / Birds is out of my price range!

I believe it was St margaret who brought the voucher system in so go and moan to her. the idea is they get a vouccher to cover the most basic frames. if they have the money from somewhere and wnat to upgrade then thats up to them. Small amounts of savings are allowed if you are on benefits.

From the many of your friends who cant afford anyting then they can still apply and may qualify depending upon what their income is.

Are there any at Beighton as have been to Martin Kemp at Woodhouse but the selection isn't great ???

Also, Specsavers have a lousy selection this year as well and Vision Express / Birds is out of my price range!

I've used Martin Kemps in Woodhouse for years and have had no problem with their selection, but I have to pay full price for mine I suppose you want a huge selection of top designer frames for nothing. How many frames do you need to choose from?

Why wait 6 months to get your prescription?

Edited by cytine

People are still capable of saving up! Just because they're receiving benefits does not mean they shouldn't be entitled to choice, or to have 'better' spectacles. Not all upgrades are designer, it could be as little as the colour of the frame, or one with spring hinges. They may also feel that lenses that go darker in the sun will be beneficial to them, so they will pay the difference in price.

Children & those under 18 in full time education are also entitled to these vouchers - should they not have a choice?

Please don't tar everyone on benefits with the same brush. The vouchers simply allow them a choice.

People are still capable of saving up! Just because they're receiving benefits does not mean they shouldn't be entitled to choice, or to have 'better' spectacles. Not all upgrades are designer, it could be as little as the colour of the frame, or one with spring hinges. They may also feel that lenses that go darker in the sun will be beneficial to them, so they will pay the difference in price.

Children & those under 18 in full time education are also entitled to these vouchers - should they not have a choice?

Please don't tar everyone on benefits with the same brush. The vouchers simply allow them a choice.

How much choice does anyone need? Shops can't stock an endless supply of frames.

How much choice does anyone need? Shops can't stock an endless supply of frames.

They stock what they think will sell. Some people would like specs that they feel ok wearing rather than the old NHS doorstoppers. Up to them if they want and can afford to pay the extra. I cant see why its a controversial subject at all. If they wnat the more fashionable better quality frames then they have to pay the extra. The state does its bit by paying for the most basic glasses.