Teacher suspended after tape put over school kids mouths

In my days, I would just get a threat about house points, and then I get evil stares from my classmates. :roll:
:hihi:

In my days (and I'm not that old at all), depending on the teacher and class, you'd get a dripping car sponge, or a hard board rubber - usually always catching you out by surprise while you were distracted/distracting.

So the choice was either chalky water "splash damage", or a temporary rubber corner rash. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of distraction/chatting going on.

Oh, and no complaints from the parents of sponge/rubber recipients either. Ever.

IMHO the headteacher lost an occasion to support his staff at this most difficult of times ;) (there was no need nor requirement to condone, of course - but clearly there was a need to support, and to admonish parents and kids as much as the teacher). I'd like to think other teachers and unions will give him what for, for dropping his kegs before the parents so readily.

EDIT - not a partisan edit as such, but I did catch the BBC interview with the female parent with that "smirk" and yes, it did look well out of order/out of place, really like she was looking forward to the teacher losing his/her job.

Edited by L00b

I don't believe that any children were 'traumatised' by this, as evidenced by the smirks on their faces and the joy on their parents faces as they tried to get one over on an authority figure.

They couldn't just be happy because the bully teacher was being reprimanded for the actions then ?

Having a grin does not mean anyone was complicit in just trying to 'get one over on an authority figure'.

:hihi:

In my days (and I'm not that old at all), depending on the teacher and class, you'd get a dripping car sponge, or a hard board rubber - usually always catching you out by surprise while you were distracted/distracting.

So the choice was either chalky water "splash damage", or a temporary rubber corner rash. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of distraction/chatting going on.

Oh, and no complaints from the parents of sponge/rubber recipients either. Ever.

IMHO the headteacher lost an occasion to support his staff at this most difficult of times ;) (there was no need nor requirement to condone, of course - but clearly there was a need to support, and to admonish parents and kids as much as the teacher). I'd like to think other teachers and unions will give him what for, for dropping his kegs before the parents so readily.

If I went home and told my mother I had been caned for being disruptive, she would give me a thick ear too! Followed by "wait til ya father gets home" and another crack..:hihi:

Am I the only one who thinks that this is quite outrageous ? Why would a grown up adult put cellotape on a child's mouth ? Especially one that is not yours ??

I do not get this. If they are unruly and the teacher cannot control them, then this just affects their grade, simple. Why put yourself in this kind of situation to be fired ??

If the do gooders hadnt banned the cane we wouldnt be in a position where kids can do as they wish in school and the teachers are powerless to stop them.

If the do gooders hadnt banned the cane we wouldnt be in a position where kids can do as they wish in school and the teachers are powerless to stop them.

If the do gooders hadn't intervened you and your children would still be scrambling up chimneys!

I don't know many kids who wouldn't put up a fight at anyone trying to tape up their mouths. I have five tough girls and two tough boys for grandchildren, and I wouldn't advise anybody to try it on them. As it is, if and when I complained to me mam that I got caned in school, she would say I deserved it and don't tell your Dad, or you might get some more. Then I went to a place of higher learning, Nether Edge Grammar School, where I learned the art of dodging flying blackboard erasers heaved at me by Learned educators who had dodged fighting the Germans.

Edited by buck