Life at Cambridge motor co, Division st 1970's

Lushcannon unfortunately a GT 40 several others but most lost or not transmitable Medea, sorry.

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 13:55 ----------

Alankern yes that right,we were able to use the snooker hall car park,very useful:)

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 13:59 ----------

Hillsbro hi,it was a lagonda 1935 Le Mans winning car. The chassis was 1935 but the body was replicated,and very well done,great fun to drive.:)

Edited by David Bee

..Hillsbro hi, it was a lagonda 1935 Le Mans winning car. The chassis was 1935 but the body was replicated,and very well done,great fun to drive.:)
Aha - so it was a Lagonda. It must indeed have been fun to drive - I wonder who has it now!.:)

Hi David,didn't recognise Cambridge Motors at first knew you best as Bee Bros.bought a Mk 11 Lotus Cortina from you in '72,really looking for a 1600E ,went looking with Gary Marshman,who has already responded to this,we were working at same place back then and have stayed in touch all these years.

Slotter 47 hi,twin cam throaty induction music ,wish we had that car now,great fun and very expensive to day:) Hope your keeping well.

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 17:40 ----------

Hillsboro Hi, crash box,accelerater between clutch and brake to make heel and toe gear changes easier ,out side fly off hand brake. I remember David Lidgard (bless him)and self leaving the George at Hathersage at about 10-30 pm on summers evening and touching 80m.p.h going down to wards toads mouth ,clear road wearing flying helmet and goggles ,by Fox House David was cold sober and white knuckled threatening never to get in a car with me again! Don't know where it is to-day.Hope David found his peace,I still miss him and often remember him.x

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 17:54 ----------

Gmarshman those names and days make me smile fondly. Dick Coupe lives with his wife Jacky inBaslow the others I don't know. We all had such grand expectations and I am sure most had their day of glory one way or another!:)

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 18:57 ----------

Hi davecop hmmmm how about Chevy police car,getting warm?:)

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 19:02 ----------

Bullerboy Yes the turn table was still there although not in Worthing order,would have been useful:)

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 19:14 ----------

BROTHER MIKE- are you there,the Rine Stone cow boy or what,mint 64vette 327 roadster in white, looked as if the paint had been poured on, stick shift,red leather,fabulous and remembering the girls who came into the show room looking for you,a hit at Fannies after work no doubt,sure it was your magnetic personality not the car lol.

I remember Stuart Corzon with the red Camaro he used to come in our place on West street and boy could that car shift,first one i had driven with a foot hand brake,now thats doubledutch.The sound was fantastic I bombed it up and down Netherthorpe road like a loony.

Am I imagining it or was there a painting of "the showroom on a rainy night" displayed in the Graves Art Gallery once?

Bullerboy Those cars had a lot of torque which helped to make the muscle cars so much fun. We had a Pontiac Trans am with a line lock on the braking system and limited slip diff .As you probably know the line lock disabled the rear brakes to enable easy rear wheel steering from the accelerator, not very sophisticated but was a lot of fun.:)

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 09:54 ----------

Blackbeard hi I don't know but the place attracted that sort of phenomenon,I'd love a print.

Edited by David Bee

Bullerboy Those cars had a lot of torque which helped to make the muscle cars so much fun. We had a Pontiac Trans am witha line lock on the braking system and limited slip diff .As you probably know the line lock disabled the rear brakes to enable easy rear wheel steering from the accelerator, not very sophisticated but was a lot of fun.:)

Blackbeard hi I don't know but the place attracted that sort of phenomenon,I'd love a print.

Been through the Sheffield City painting collection and it is not listed there.

Hillsboro Hi, crash box,accelerater between clutch and brake to make heel and toe gear changes easier ,out side fly off hand brake. I remember David Lidgard (bless him)and self leaving the George at Hathersage at about 10-30 pm on summers evening and touching 80m.p.h going down to wards toads mouth ,clear road wearing flying helmet and goggles ,by Fox House David was cold sober and white knuckled threatening never to get in a car with me again! Don't know where it is to-day.Hope David found his peace,I still miss him and often remember him.x

THIS thread may be of interest re David Lidgard.

..Hope David found his peace,I still miss him and often remember him.x...
I didn't know David Lidgard but it's obviously a very sad story. He was about the same age as me and public records show that he was just 31 when he died in December 1978. R.I.P. David. Edited by hillsbro

THIS thread may be of interest re David Lidgard.
Very interesting that was Jim I remember that.Rowland castletons son works in the motor trade selling prestige cars i see him quite often.

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 12:14 ----------

Am I imagining it or was there a painting of "the showroom on a rainy night" displayed in the Graves Art Gallery once?
I am sure I have seen that painting somewhere,maybe in Hibberts on Surry St.

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 12:23 ----------

Bullerboy Those cars had a lot of torque which helped to make the muscle cars so much fun. We had a Pontiac Trans am witha line lock on the braking system and limited slip diff .As you probably know the line lock disabled the rear brakes to enable easy rear wheel steering from the accelerator, not very sophisticated but was a lot of fun.:)

Quite a few of the big hitters came to us in the seventies on West st especially when the Westfield cafe was open.I remember Jim Kay he owned a cutlery business and had long grey hair and drove an open topped E type he always had a female with him,then there was Bob Alexander who ran around in a big Lagonda i think it was that make and a Jaguar SS100 he had Greyhound coaches.Tony Christie was always around there as well with his Ton 10 Reg No.I am getting on in years now so I need the brain jogging a bit.

The car traded by Cambridge and in the lovely photo by Hillsbro. is still around. It was one of many specials built up over the years converted from a 1935 Lagonda saloon., and given the replica Rapide Le mans style body., but of course not an original but a replica Rapide.

Still the car looks great and am sure will be an exhilerating driving experience with centre throttle.

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 18:23 ----------

Seeing the comment made by Bullerboy on Jim Kay, I remember him in his E.Type Roadster mid 60's when he would be readying himself for luncheon with a gorgeous blonde with him probable half his age . I used to think , what has he got that I havent!!!!. He had an E.Type and I had a Zephyr 6 !!!!

Bob Alexander , the name very familiar , but from where ?

A big Lagonda eh ?

Tony Christie would be seen around the Sheffield areas early 70's , I believe his Jaguar was an S Type.

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 18:27 ----------

Hello Dave Bee,

You have certainly aroused some nostalgic excitement with memories of Cambridge Motors and the interesting cars you traded as well as the interesting characters who were and still are fascinated by the Thread.

Gary Marshman