Grass verge/pavement work at beauchief

Birley Moor Road had been done plus quite a few more main routes in that area and the main routes in Stannington, Loxley, Wisewood and Walkley have been done

I doubt the money will run out as it's a contract between Amey and the council/ government that's been signed. Amey have got 5 years to do all the major works and a further 20 years just doing the maintenance

I must admit the work does seem to take a long time to finish an area, one of the main problems I've noticed it takes ages for the power to be put into the new columns

Birley Moor Road had been done plus quite a few more main routes in that area and the main routes in Stannington, Loxley, Wisewood and Walkley have been done

I doubt the money will run out as it's a contract between Amey and the council/ government that's been signed. Amey have got 5 years to do all the major works and a further 20 years just doing the maintenance

I must admit the work does seem to take a long time to finish an area, one of the main problems I've noticed it takes ages for the power to be put into the new columns

hardly arteriel routes though are they, so when did this contract start

i havent seen any main route or road being done so far so wheres the sense? when did it all start? and will the money run out before the main roads get done? my guess is yes it will

Abbeydale road south has been done. This bisects Abbey Lane. they had to do it right through the night and it was extremely disruptive for people with houses on there for a few nights.

I'm just going on the website streets ahead these roads are classed ( by them) as major routes through an area

The contract started towards the end of August 2012 the major works should be done by 2017 and the maintenance contract finishes in 2037 unless they extend it

It's all on the streets ahead page on SCC website

I think Psalter lane was done in last few years.. Looks dire now lots of potholes and tarmac in very bad shape.. should last longer than it has.

I think Psalter lane was done in last few years.. Looks dire now lots of potholes and tarmac in very bad shape.. should last longer than it has.

Yes it was and wasn't as bad when they did it as it is now! Not fun reversing out into a pothole! I hope whatever we're getting next time is a bit more durable than what they put down last time.

Yes it was and wasn't as bad when they did it as it is now! Not fun reversing out into a pothole! I hope whatever we're getting next time is a bit more durable than what they put down last time.

Of course, you shouldn't be reversing onto Psalter Lane.

As the Highway Code states;

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 20:03 ----------

Having only lived in Sheffield a short while I have noticed how appllingly bad the roads are, with massive potholes everywhere; even main roads as well as side roads. In the last week or so the council contractors, Amey I think, have been trimming grass verges where it's grown over the retaining block onto the footpath (and also into people's drives), and leaving the earth in big white sacks. Also it looks like they are putting those raised pavement slabs at road junctions so people know where the edges are... Now this does not look cheap to do and surely the roads are a priority???????? There can't be that many people that are so short sighted to warrant this expense when far more worrying is the main road surface?

As others have hinted at, Sheffield is just into the third year of a 6 year project to resurface all the roads and pavements in the entire city.

This map shows the progress and plan for the roads in the scheme -

Streets Ahead map.

The pavements are being repaired in a separate phase of the process, though some are being fixed at the same time as the adjacent road. All street lights are being upgraded to LEDs too.

As I understand it, there are three main teams of workers operating at any one time. They have different capabilities, and perform different types of repair work, depending upon how extensive the repairs needed are.

The contract payments are accounted for, so the order of works is irrelevant. Those who are earlier in the scheme are obviously happier than those who are yet to be affected.

Edited by RobWilson

hi i can,t wait for the roads to be done as been at it 4 months on our road . ta jeff

hardly arteriel routes though are they, so when did this contract start

the contract started 2 years ago here is the full program

and the work being done in your area now is part of the contract

Work on local roads (B57)

Work will take place in and around Meadowhead, Woodseats, Beauchief and Hutcliffe Wood between September and April 2014.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules.html

Of course, you shouldn't be reversing onto Psalter Lane.

Hard to do otherwise when you can't reverse into drive due to eejits who tailgate you! And I think you'll find reversing out of a drive into Psalter Lane is perfectly within the law.