Where to live in South Yorkshire

I looked in that area but ended living in Sheffield, I'm not from South Yorkshire but it's really ok,

Don't take much notice of other peoples views if u like the house, buy it !

I did and I have a lovely house good luck!

Travel links are really good in South Yorkshire

laughton en le morthern is a lovely place if you can get somewhere in your price

bracket , lovely scenery ,walks ,people , only a 20 minute drive to Rotherham via rural roads

Hi there

I am also looking to move to Sheffield or somewhere near. I'm considering Thurcroft. I know it has a reputation for being rough but what about the new houses on the southeastern corner off of Laughton Road? The demographic info looks pretty good and the houses are lovely but I am scared of anti social behaviour and, tbh, general chavviness. I hate it and I don't want to live anywhere where it is an issue. Should I give up on Thurcroft or is there hope for the newer areas? Would really appreciate some local knowledge. Sorry to post on an oldish thread but I'm finding it really hard to find out.

You could also try some of the villages around Doncaster.

Auckley, Brampton, Finningley and Bawtry are nice and have a semi rural feel. You get plenty of house for your money, and good transport system to Sheffield, London, with all major motorways easy to get to.

Verona, thanks so much for replying. I will look where you suggest. Neither myself nor my partner drive so we would need good public transport links. What do you think of Thurcroft? Is all of it a no no? Or is the new bit worth looking at?

Cormorant, no problem. A lot of new houses being built in the areas I mentioned with a budget for most pockets. I'm not sure about Thurcroft, I don't really know enough about it. I lived for 40 years in the South side of Sheffield but fealt it was becoming too congested, plenty of space where I am now, lovely neighbours and it only takes me 25 mins to Sheffield city centre or Meadowhall.

You mention public transport but haven't given any information about where you work and/or need to get to. The buses are:

Doncaster to Dinnington 18 and 18B

Rotherham to Worksop 19, 19A and 19B

Rotherham to Woodsetts 20

Sheffield to Thurcroft X5

The bus time table is here. Some of the buses are run by Powells of Hellaby.

Wherever you go there can be problems but there are far worse places than Thurcroft. The estate of which you speak seems pleasant enough. The houses appear to be largely owner occupied although it is possible that some could be privately rented. There are some small shops in Thurcroft. Dinnington has Aldi, Tesco and a market on certain days. Morrisons is about two miles away at Bramley. There is an additional shopping centre on the bus route at Wickersley, along with a library and medical centres. Thurcroft has it's own surgery just a short walk away from that particular estate. I would say that depending on your needs and wants it would be worth looking at.

Edited by Jomie

Thank you, Verona, for your help. I really do value your opinion.

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 11:43 ----------

Thank you, Jomie, I have family in Sheffield so easy access to the city centre or to where they live (S11) would be great. Thank you so much for all the bus info. I did look at the x5 timetable but hadn't discovered all of the others.

If you want to get to Sheffield outside of the X5 timetable then you would need to catch the 19 into Rotherham Interchange and the Sheffield bus out. They all run regularly so you won't have much of a problem getting to Sheffield, other than that it would take a while. Thurcroft to Rotherham probably about 25 minutes and Rotherham to Sheffield approximately 30 minutes. Thurcroft is not congested and there are a lot of farms around there so it does have a rural feel.

Thank you Jomie. That is very useful information.

I was wondering what it is like to live in Waterthorpe. I need to move to Sheffield to be nearer to family and I have the chance of a house I Waterthorpe. It looks like an ok area but I would really appreciate some local opinions; good or bad. Thank you.

I have lived in Laughton en le morthen for over fifteen years. I know Thurcroft has a reputation but I'm not sure where the trouble is supposed to happen. My parents friends have lived there for over thirty years just over the road from the new estate. I have seen some beer drinkers around the shops in Thurcroft in the daytime but I have always found the people to be openly chatty and friendly. They all seem to know each other so I never expected them to be friendly but they are. Sometimes I have felt a bit out of place in a smart work suit and the 'regulars' who know each other and the shop keepers have been very friendly.

The school has a sign outside saying how well they have done in school inspections/rankings.

Laughton common used to be rough before it was knocked down and rebuilt. There are also some nice bits of Dinnington. The bus is regular through to Worksop and Rotherham. My elderly parents use the local buses a lot but I don't. Mum goes to Doncaster on the bus too as she can't drive.

I have lived various places in Rotherham and eight years in Worksop. Always lived within a short distance of the M1, M18, A1 or A57 so you can travel easily. You can get express trains easily from Doncaster and Retford and it doesn't take long to drive there from Thurcroft or Worksop areas.