Any Ex-Pats in the US

owlsfan

I'm a Sheffielder too, and would have been happy enough just to stick to the subject, but I'm tired of the anti Americanism that's become too prevalent lately. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. You're jealous of our domestic prices, yet come over in droves to avail yourselves of them, and while you're here criticize our life styles, what arrogance! If you don't like us go to Spain our somewhere you can enjoy your bingo games and Red Barrel. We're quite happy to be left alone.

Originally posted by buck

I'm a Sheffielder too, and would have been happy enough just to stick to the subject, but I'm tired of the anti Americanism that's become too prevalent lately. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. You're jealous of our domestic prices, yet come over in droves to avail yourselves of them, and while you're here criticize our life styles, what arrogance! If you don't like us go to Spain our somewhere you can enjoy your bingo games and Red Barrel. We're quite happy to be left alone.

Excuse me mate but I have never said a bad word about the USA.If your a sheffielder why are are you saying,your jealous of our prices & such,you are English are you not.I was the first to reply to Poppins & she was asking about sheffield in general from years ago to now.I have lived in Barnsley for 25 but I if anyone slagged off my birth place they would get an earful.You are Yorkshire born & bred be proud.

I for one do not like George Bush, but I'm one who has the ability to change that with my vote, so sorry if you don't and sorry you hate us so much, cos I don't hate you.

Im sorry but I've not once said that I hate "Americans" infact I could'nt say that, because I have American family and friends, it was due to WW2 that we have family over there, family members marrying American service men. American people have always made me feel very welcome everytime I have visited.

However I dont like George Bush and think he's done the real everyday American people diservice, and its these people that I feel really sorry for, they deserve better. I hope that they can use their vote to change things for the better.

I'm tired of the anti Americanism that's become too prevalent lately. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Hardly suprising is it ? Bush diving into Iraq, guns blazing away, tarnishing the reputation of American people.

I am indeed proud to be a Sheffielder, and a Yorkshireman,but I have lived in this country for 38 years.I'm a US citizen, my kids and my grandkids are American, I have never known a society more willing to help those in need than Americans, relying on volunteering more than government handouts. Anybody who knows Bush will know there are no handouts coming unless you're a big business executive so we pick up the slack out of our own pockets. Like many of you I want to see the man gone, so keep your fingers cross for November 2. I hope the FBI isn't monitoring this.

Hi Poppins,

I bought my goingaway wedding suit at Walshs. Lasted for yrs.

My friends mother worked there, in the offices I think. Mrs Seabourne, smoked like a trooper.

Can you remember Ann Lenards dress shop on fargate and Stewart and Stewarts on Pinstone St and Robrt Brothers next to Coles on coles corner which were dept stores.

Robert Bros had a floor man a bit like Mr Peacock in "Are you being served" in a black suit who directed custormers to the counters. Small bossy man more like Captain Mainwaring. Ruled wiith a rod of iron. Good shop though

Hazel

I hope the FBI isn't monitoring this.

Was wondering that myself, lol.

Anyways goodluck for Nov 2nd, wish I could vote myself.

Btw, do you have to be a sworn in American citizen before you can vote ? and how long before you qualify to become a citizen ?

Hi Monty, You have to be a US citizen to vote, and it normally takes 5 years from qualifying for a "green card ", one exception is for the new spouse of an American citizen who can make it in three years, providing they live together for that long. This helps to prevent covenience marriages for money. The hard part is to get permanent resident status ( green card ) You have to prove several things like you're not taking a job away from an American, and that you're financially secure and healthy. The immigration service allocates quotas to certain geographical regions, hoping to keep the ethnic mix in balance. For instance, it's probably pretty difficult for muslims right now, and there's some worry about how much spanish is being spoken. The UK is part of the European quota, which has plenty of berths right now. Europeans are staying home and who can blame them.

Talking of floor walkers. When I left the navy in the sixties, my wife and I were on Fargate looking for a sofa and chair for our new home. There was an upscale furniture store close to Cole's whose name I forget. As we walked in the floor walker asked us what we want, when we told him his nose went higher than his you know what, and we were informed we couldn't afford their stuff. ( I had several thousand pounds at the time.) As we walked out the shop manager asked us why we were leaving, so we told him and left. I hope that jerk got fired there and then! If you happen to be that jerk, here's a raspberry for you, unless you're dead from the neck down as well as up.

Guest poppins

Hi Buck

Sorry to get you going, it was me that changed the subject to Bush, I'm a Sheffielder too, also living in Conn, i live in Norwalk and work in Wilton.

I'll stick to the subject from now on, don't want to upset my old country folk, but just for the record I am a BIG BUSH supporter.

Poppins

Archived