Any Ex-Pats in the US

owlsfan

Hi Poppins, as I've said I'm not a Bush supporter, but in our democratic society, we have a right to disagree, and I would defend that right with my life, so no more need be said on that one, we're Sheffielders and should stick to that fact. That being said, I live in Windsor Locks, just a mile or so from Bradley Airport. I would love to be able to board a plane there to England or Ireland, instead of the drag to either Boston or NYC. We are bound for Ireland next Thursday, which is my wife's homeland, time doesn' t allow for us to go to Sheffield because my wife loves the city, and more especially Bakewell, cos she likes the tarts.

Guest poppins

Hi Hazel

Do i ever remember Ann Lenards ! we bought all our clothes from there, the window was small, but everything in it was just what we were looking for, couldn't afford Walshes but i use to love to walk around and look at the women shopping there, i was always jelous of them, the even smelt rich in their tweeds.

My Aunt worked in a fur shop accross the st from Walshes, she worked downstairs sewing and repairing furs, when he boss needed her upstairs he would stomp on the floor and she'd come running, her name was Gladys Coyle, she worked there for years.

I think it's so nice to hear the shop attendents to call each other MISS, no first names, very proper !

Poppins

Guest poppins

Hi Buck

Have a good flight to Ireland, yes would be nice to fly out of Bradley, i'm close to NYC so it's not a problem for flights, i fly into Manchester when i go home, it's a nic e airport.

I'v never been to Ireland. How do you manage driving ? i use to have no problem driving on the other side when i was younger, but no more, they drive too fast for me over there.

Have a good time.

Poppins

Originally posted by buck

... my wife loves the city, and more especially Bakewell, cos she likes the tarts.

Heh...my wife's a septic too and she insists we go to Bakewell when we're back over there for Christmas. We were there in July...I was disappointed 'cos the chippy wasn't open and I remember it being very good. :(

Also - there seemed to be less trout in the river than I remember.

By the way - I believe that in Bakewell, they're referred to as 'puddings', not tarts....might be wrong *shrug*

By the way - I believe that in Bakewell, they're referred to as 'puddings', not tarts....might be wrong *shrug* [/b]

Your right headup, and a lot of them are baked in Chesterfield not in Bakewell. We have a friend coming over to se us from Colorado later this month and the one thing she always looks forward to is mushy peas, she even takes some died peas back with her so the others in Denver can share the experience......next on the list is to convert her to Hendersons..lol.

Buck, good luck with the election, and just hope that Florida don't get to hold the last count:heyhey:

It's interesting to see how many ex pats get on the forum, especially us" gringos". I don't have to travel too far because there is a Sheffield in Massachusetts about 50 miles from us. No Fargate, no Wicker Arches, not even a pub! In fact if you blink your eyes while driving through, you'll miss it. I wonder how these New England places got their names. Tha knows, t'river looks just like t'river Don with all that watter, Happen we should call it Sheffield. The much larger city of Fall River in MA was settled almost exclusively by Sheffield iron workers helping to start a shipbuilding industry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest poppins

Moved to connecticut about 40 years ago, i have all my family back in sheff so i get to go home quite a lot, i still have my sheff accent so people say, but when i go home my family says i'v lost it completely, hope they mean my accent ?

I left Sheffield in '99. And by way of Manchester, London and Woking, ended up in Los Angeles. I now live just north of San Diego. I prefer SD to LA just because it's cleaner, more laid-back and less crowded than LA. LA is not an attractive place - sure, there are one or two gems...but as a city it's nothing like New York (an amazing place). San Francisco is nice too.

The guy who cut my hair when I lived in LA was from Sheffield too. In fact, he knew a former girlfriend of mine from the time he worked at Creator on West Street. Small world innit?

Hey Owlsfan is it not a little wet living in the bay ? - sorry couldn't resist.

I take it the beers are on you when I'm down there for the Audio Engineering Society show at the end of this month then ? Funnily enough one of the unnoficial events of the show is always a meeting of several of us from the industry who are mostly ex-pats scattered around the world.

We're now in Canada having relocated there after 3.5yrs in Nashville, TN and 2yrs in Switzerland prior to that so hardened ex-pats these days. Did a spell in Oxford before leaving the UK so it's 25 odd years since I left Sheffield.

--sean

Archived