What do tenants want?

I'm looking to buy a house with a view to letting it out, and I'm trying to find out what is most important to potential tenants.

One house I'm considering is a terrace in a good area, with front garden, has a gorgeous bathroom, nice kitchen, quite spacious.

The concern is the house next door, which is very run down, although occupied.

Would this put you off?

Apart from that, what is most important to you?

It wont put some off,many will just make it the same :)

If it was detached it wouldn't bother me but as you say a terrace I think that would to be honest it would give me a negative imagine of our potential neighbours.

Cheap rents and security of tenure.

if you are letting house I don't think the condition of the next door property will matter to much. tenants want a nice clean house with up to date kitchen and bathroom and a good landlord who acts on any problems immediately

Cheap rents and security of tenure.

Genuine question. With reference to your signature, is there an accepted definition of 'affordable housing'?

Genuine question. With reference to your signature, is there an accepted definition of 'affordable housing'?

Less than 25% of income.

This definition has been tinkered with, some are now saying 30%, some others are saying 35%.

I'd say 20%.

But there are other ways at looking at it. Less than 1000 hours of labour in the provision of materials and construction of a house.

At a generous rate of £10 per hour, we'd be looking at £10 000 max. With a land cost of £500 for a 3bed semi with large garden, we could be looking at 1 years salary for a minimum wage worker allowing a fairly high profit for the developer.

This however assumes a free market and a relaxation of planning.

Our housing market is highly manipulated upon many different levels and completely dysfunctional. It is dysfunctional to such a degree that it is literally driving citizens mental, making people homeless, making the idle rich and destroying our international business competitiveness.

Less than 25% of income.

This definition has been tinkered with, some are now saying 30%, some others are saying 35%.

I'd say 20%.

But there are other ways at looking at it. Less than 1000 hours of labour in the provision of materials and construction of a house.

At a generous rate of £10 per hour, we'd be looking at £10 000 max. With a land cost of £500 for a 3bed semi with large garden, we could be looking at 1 years salary for a minimum wage worker allowing a fairly high profit for the developer.

This however assumes a free market and a relaxation of planning.

Our housing market is highly manipulated upon many different levels and completely dysfunctional. It is dysfunctional to such a degree that it is literally driving citizens mental, making people homeless, making the idle rich and destroying our international business competitiveness.

Your posts are so far left and so unreasonable – they are almost funny.

This post is ludicrous and ridiculous beyond belief.

Do you really believe you can get quality tradesmen to work for £10 per hour?

Do you really believe that your figure of £500 for a large plot of land suitable for a semi is anything but a stupid dream?

Do you have any idea of the cost of raw materials for building? (– Do you think for a semi it could be 30, 40, 80K, …?

To answer the op question.

I believe tenants want different things:

A student wants different housing and furniture than a single mum.

I think it goes without saying - most people want to live in as nice a house as they can afford. (Clean, warm/as economical to run as possible, dry, safe and in their chosen location.)

You need to chose your tenant market (student, Dss, single mum, professional etc) then purchase accordingly.

I would only consider purchasing the house you mention if it is cheaper.

Do not listen to people like chem1st - because as a landlord you will be the Devil.

I've rented plenty of places, the winners always were:

Clean house

Decent Kitchen

Decent bathroom

I've viewed so many places that needed renovation, or clearly had some issues and the landlord is still trying to rent it out.

Mouldy bathrooms are a massive no-no, as are skanky kitchens.

Gardens aren't really a plus point, in fact alot of the time if there isn't any grass it's abit better because the tennants don't have to worry about having it cut.

lol.........

Do you really believe you can get quality tradesmen to work for £10 per hour?

Do you really believe that your figure of £500 for a large plot of land suitable for a semi is anything but a stupid dream?

Do you have any idea of the cost of raw materials for building? (– Do you think for a semi it could be 30, 40, 80K, …?

ooh I know the answers to some of these questions, can I help??

1. No

3. My friend is running a budget of 100K for just the build on his place (3 bed detached) the budget isn't looking great.

2. Even if the land is free (from family) the council might want a cut.

My friend has to pay (bribe) the council 70 grand because he can't build a council house on the plot of land.

Mainly because A: obviously they can't afford it, and B: there isn't room anyway.

It would depend how bad next door was, if the people were ok and it just needed a bit of work I wouldn't care...but if it was infested with fleas or mice or such like I wouldn't want to be next door as they come through.

Space is important as is cleanliness, but mostly I think a good,fair and reasonable landlord means a lot.