TRAFFIC LIGHTS v MINI-ROUNDABOUTS ?

In view of our Council obviously having shares in the Traffic Light Company whose Products are installed at each and every Main Road junction in the City can we at least request that they revert back to their original model where the lights are activated by pressure pads in the Road improving the much needed SHEFFIELD Traffic Flow instantly. Alternatively go for mini-roundabouts like other Cities. My 1st nomination - Junction of Richmond Rd/Woodhouse Rd./Normanton Hill.

Edited by RichinR'mond
Technical jargon

Traffic lights weren't operated by pressure pads. They used induction loops. Many still do. Others are either on a timer or use some form of detection based on LiDAR.

Many places in Sheffield that are using a light system are not suitable for mini-roundabouts. To do so would create even more traffic chaos.

Traffic lights weren't operated by pressure pads. They used induction loops. Many still do. Others are either on a timer or use some form of detection based on LiDAR.

Many places in Sheffield that are using a light system are not suitable for mini-roundabouts. To do so would create even more traffic chaos.

Traffic lights were operated by pneumatic tubes set into the road.

(Efffectively a presssure sensor, albeit not a pad.)

In view of our Council obviously having shares in the Traffic Light Company whose Products are installed at each and every Main Road junction in the City can we at least request that they revert back to their original model where the lights are activated by pressure pads in the Road improving the much needed SHEFFIELD Traffic Flow instantly. Alternatively go for mini-roundabouts like other Cities. My 1st nomination - Junction of Richmond Rd/Woodhouse Rd./Normanton Hill.

I would say mini roundabouts are the worst thing on the roads! most people just drive straight over them. It is very rare to see anyone go round them.

I would say mini roundabouts are the worst thing on the roads! most people just drive straight over them. It is very rare to see anyone go round them.

But your not necessarily expected to go around them, it's an indication that you need to treat them like roundabouts as far as priority is concerned, i.e. traffic crossing your path from the right has priority. There's a couple in Killamarsh which work really well.

Edited by tintin123

Neither, let's go back to using our common sense and driving ability to decide when it's safe to pull out of or turn into a junction, I often have to drive down Halifax/Penistone road and the only time it ever runs smoothly is when the traffic lights are out of order so the motorists can make there own decisions.

But your not necessarily expected to go around them, it's an indication that you need to treat them like roundabouts as far as priority is concerned, i.e. traffic crossing your path from the right has priority. There's a couple in Killamarsh which work really well.

Yes you are expected to go around them. They should be used as you would a "standard" roundabout. The reason that they can be driven over is for larger vehicles (buses, truck & similar) who's size limits their turning abilities & even then those vehicles are expected to treat it as a normal roundabout where possible.

Neither, let's go back to using our common sense and driving ability to decide when it's safe to pull out of or turn into a junction, I often have to drive down Halifax/Penistone road and the only time it ever runs smoothly is when the traffic lights are out of order so the motorists can make there own decisions.

Except this doesn't work when when most drivers decide not to let you out onto a busy road.

I don't drive anymore but I never remember mini-roundabouts being that much of a pain, I always thought that traffic lights as an alternative were much worse, and as others have said...you can't leave it to the traffic as it's often incompassionate when it comes to allowing other traffic into it.

As for people driving over them...does it really matter? It doesn't interfere with their purpose.

I think it depends on how busy the junction is. A roundabout on a lightly loaded junction is fine, but once it gets busy, then I think lights are usually better. Also, roundabouts can be particularly bad when a few cars arriving from one road can effectively block a lot of cars arriving from another direction. At least lights can be timed to match the numbers of vehicles from each direction.

On threads like this, Penistone Road is often criticised for the number of traffic lights. I couldn't imagine roundabouts being much good here, except for a couple of hours in the middle of the night when traffic levels are very low. At these times I quite like the system where all lights are at red. Approaching the lights then cause the lights to change to green for the approaching driver, thus barely delaying them.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 13:06 ----------

When visiting Cornwall, I noticed quite a lot of twin mini roundabouts, usually at cross roads, ie 4 roads arriving at one point. You drive onto the first roundabout and either turn left, or straight on to the second mini roundabout, where you have to give away again. I don't know why these are popular in some areas and not in others, but they seem to work OK once you get used to them. Although they could easily block up, I think, if drivers are inconsiderate and block the route for others.

As long as they placed properly and actually allow for the turning circle of a car they work much better than lights.

I lived in High Wycombe where traffic made Sheffield's look like a minor inconvenience. Every place where they took lights out the long tailbacks disappeared.

The only snag with them is when three cars arrive at them at exactly the same time. You all end up looking at each other and then of course all decide to go at once.

When visiting Cornwall, I noticed quite a lot of twin mini roundabouts, usually at cross roads, ie 4 roads arriving at one point. You drive onto the first roundabout and either turn left, or straight on to the second mini roundabout, where you have to give away again. I don't know why these are popular in some areas and not in others, but they seem to work OK once you get used to them. Although they could easily block up, I think, if drivers are inconsiderate and block the route for others.

Here's a good junction for lovers of mini roundabouts: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Plough_roundabout_sign.jpg/220px-Plough_roundabout_sign.jpg