I've managed to lose weight!

Back in September I had a blood pressure check at the doctors. It was high and the nurse said I needed a follow up check which could then lead to pills or monitoring.

I came home, weighed myself and was appalled to see I was 11 stone 9 (I'm only 5 foot and a bit) which put me clearly in the seriously overweight category.

I love my food and my drink, so dieting wasn't an option neither was going t-total.

Instead I made small changes, but important ones.

I doubled my physical exercise. Instead of walking to work and getting the bus back I walk both ways now. Usually I'm weighed down with shoping coming home as well. I also use the stairs at work rather than the lift. It's only 5 floors but it helps.

When I go to the local shop I make a walk out it, explore backways, go the long way round.

I touch my toes 100 times a day.

I've completely cut down on bread. I used to take leftovers to work (maybe a pasta bake or some curry) and I'd always take a pitta. No longer.

I've cut back on the beer without giving it up. I'll take a certain amount of money to the pub so I can only have a certain amount of beer.

This has lead on to me not getting the post beer munchies when I get home. No more cheese on toast, rounds of sandwiches and cup a soups. If I'm peckish I'll have an apple.

The first 5 pounds fell away in a fortnight. It was harder and took longer to lose the rest. All told I've lost a stone and 5 pounds. My target is another 7 pounds maybe by Feb. Another benefit - my consumption of cheese has plummeted (no sandwiches), which saves money, but I did have to throw out a jar of mayonnaise because I hadn't had any for so long it had gone off.

This Christmas I've managed to actually drop a couple of pounds by eating sensibly and not going over the top.

These are all relatively minor lifestyle changes but they have worked. I do know however that I need to keep them up. Any laziness or slacking on my behalf will quickly reverse the changes.

At the moment though I feel better than I have for years.

Well done! And it's nice that you are feeling so much better.

Drinking more water (plain water) can help too. And cutting down on salt and salty food.

My own blood pressure has gone down a lot in the last few weeks by cutting down drastically on coffee. I mostly drink water now.

Best of luck with your continued progress.

Well done on losing the weight. I am nearly 5ft 3 and at the end of April I weighed 11st 9lb I decided I needed to do something. I started Weight watchers online and I have lost 26lb. I feel so much better. I don't feel like I have missed out on my favourite foods and as a family we have all been eating much healthier food. I bought the Hairy Bikers diet cook book and we eat quite a few recipes out of that. Tonight we had Beef Madras, it was delicious.

You have proved that by just making a few changes to your diet and increasing your exercise you can loose weight.

I just need to lose a couple more pounds and then keep the weight off, that is the test!

Well done! And it's nice that you are feeling so much better.

Drinking more water (plain water) can help too. And cutting down on salt and salty food.

My own blood pressure has gone down a lot in the last few weeks by cutting down drastically on coffee. I mostly drink water now.

Best of luck with your continued progress.

I try not to eat salt at the best of times. I hardly ever add it to food I make and I now check the labels of the stuff I buy so I can compare products and choose the low salt alternative. Cutting back on cheese has also helped reduce my salt intake.

I did cut down on the coffee and drank more water as well. I did it initially just so I could scrape through the second blood pressure test, but it's top advice no matter the situation.

---------- Post added 01-01-2014 at 19:30 ----------

Well done on losing the weight. I am nearly 5ft 3 and at the end of April I weighed 11st 9lb I decided I needed to do something. I started Weight watchers online and I have lost 26lb. I feel so much better. I don't feel like I have missed out on my favourite foods and as a family we have all been eating much healthier food. I bought the Hairy Bikers diet cook book and we eat quite a few recipes out of that. Tonight we had Beef Madras, it was delicious.

You have proved that by just making a few changes to your diet and increasing your exercise you can loose weight.

I just need to lose a couple more pounds and then keep the weight off, that is the test!

I've followed some of their recipes, they're great.

Well done! A good sensible approach - small changes to your eating habits and physical activity is the way to go.

Well done!

I'm also struggling for losing weight.

For anyone struggling with weight loss our "Dump the Diets" weight loss and exercise guide is now available as an Ebook on Amazon (click here)

It's only £2.99 so won't break the bank! We can also provide it as a PDF, just contact us via our link below. Good luck everyone!!!

Well done you! I am also back on the diet wagon after a very merry Christmas & New Year off!

I'm like you, I could never completely give up the good stuff and the beer so I eat very strictly for 6 days a week and have 1 treat day where I reward my week's work with some lovely mucky beer and a takeaway. It's quite easy to maintain as you always know your treat day is on the horizon so have something to look forward too.

Keep up the good work, here's to a happy and healthier 2014 to you.

Edited by Grenoside123

well done

although 11st 9 doesn't seem that overweight for a man

I too am trying to shift a stone :)

(by the way I am 11st 9 :( ) and 5ft 4 want to get to 10st 7 :)

Well done, I hope the change lasts.

I know I keep plugging it

but the 5:2 diet is great

fast 2 days (500 cals) and eat what you like for 5 days (2000 cals)

I trained in Hypno and used it on me first. I went from 17.5 to 11 stone just by only eating when hungry, slowing down my eating and not snacking. I lost the weight slowly over a year. I never set out to lose weight, just curious to see how defective the treatment was. Main thing I noticed was that my loss was not uniform. I lost rapidly then plateaued then it went up a little bit and then the cycle repeated. I guess that cycle is normal but explains why people give up on which ever diet people use. Website has my before and after pics plus all the tricks and tips I used. Dave