Aria hair stall meadowhall refund issue

Stand at the stall and every time a customer comes along tell them that they lied to you and will say anything to get a sale, and that the same products are much cheaper on eBay. If they start losing sales they might do it to get rid of you.

It doesn't sound like they've even been back and asked yet, so not been refused an adapter or a refund? If they refuse you, try complaining direct to Meadowhall management, citing what you've told us.

Not exactly fair rubbishing them on here when it doesn't look like you've even given them a chance to say yea or nay yet.

Ok before I explain, I'm not proud of myself for falling for this and I don't usually find myself in a situation like this but I need some advice please.

I was shopping in meadowhall last night and wanted to buy some hair curlers from Argos, on the way I got asked to have a demonstration from one of the gentleman at the hair stall. He curled my hair, gave me the hard sell, even dropping the price from £160 to £90 within minutes (tell me your a student and you have student discount)

So I bought them on the understanding that the hair curler also came with a European plug adapter so I could use them on holiday. My partner even asked the returns policy if we wanted to return them. Salesman stated no problem just bring them back within 14 days.

Anyway bought them took them home, no European adapter and the receipt (stupid of us I know) states NO REFUNDS exchanges only within 14 days! We didn't read the receipt as the salesman kept us chatting about the product and generally giving us the sales patter.

Yes I feel stupid and I'm not normally so taken in. But I feel that this is also a case of verbal mis-representation of the product. I feel taken for a fool and £90 less well off. Any advice? I don't trust the company anymore I just want my money back. Have I got an argument?

Many thanks

Totaally understand why you're so annoyed- the salesman told you 2 blatent lies.

I'd suggest getting a friend to go down and get into the same scenario with the same salesman, but while carrying a hidden voice recorder.

Then you've got evidence that this salesman routinely lies- send it to his manager with an official complaint and follow it up. Also pass it on the Argos management- they should be interested in companies using their stores to tell lies.

This is a good one for the price, and, conveniently, is stocked by Argos :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1146970.htm

Then you've got evidence that this salesman routinely lies- send it to his manager with an official complaint and follow it up. Also pass it on the Argos management- they should be interested in companies using their stores to tell lies.

Have I misunderstood something? What does it have to do with Argos? I thought the OP bought the curlers from a separate stall in Meadowhall..

Have I misunderstood something? What does it have to do with Argos? I thought the OP bought the curlers from a separate stall in Meadowhall..

sorry, you're right. The OP should send the evidence to Meadowhall management, not argos.

sorry, you're right. The OP should send the evidence to Meadowhall management, not argos.

It's OK I thought it was me misreading :)

In general, if the goods you buy aren't faulty, do you have a right to a refund if you return them?

If they were misrepresented, then yes.

If your partner only asked if you can return them, then its not exactly a LIE as such, you can return them (if faulty) for an exchange - Did he specifically say for a refund?

The rule is the same in Argos, had you bought some curlers and then just decided you didn't want them, then they are exempt from the money back guarantee.

If your partner only asked if you can return them, then its not exactly a LIE as such, you can return them (if faulty) for an exchange - Did he specifically say for a refund?

The rule is the same in Argos, had you bought some curlers and then just decided you didn't want them, then they are exempt from the money back guarantee.

2 differences though-

1. Argos don't lie and say you can return them (whether it's for a refund or exchange)

2. Argos specifically state if a item is excluded (usually for hygeine reasons from the money back guarantee) and, in my experience, the counter staff also point it out.

Whereas the salesman here was going for straightforward deception to sell the customer a product which he clearly did not want, as the customers clear questions made very clear (hence why the saleman was misrepresenting the product on a couple of points).

If they were misrepresented, then yes.

In this instance that's a case of "He said,she said"....difficult to actually prove otherwise...

I would just like to say that the issue is now resolved happily. Perhaps the mods could delete this post as I don't want to have this open as a slur on the company?

Many thanks

I would just like to say that the issue is now resolved happily. Perhaps the mods could delete this post as I don't want to have this open as a slur on the company?

Many thanks

Too late I've just warned my friends not to shop with them.