Hull named City of Culture for 2017

https://www.hull2017.co.uk/whatson/

Anyone planning a visit this year? any thoughts?

I always feel a bit sorry for Hull, like it should be better than it is. Maybe this will help. I've not been for a couple of years so I will make the effort at some point.

In some ways it's the opposite of Sheffield (flat and coastal), in other ways it's similar (poor, Northern and sometimes gets left behind other cities).

when weather is warmer we will go to Hull for family trip

Yes I'll be visiting.

I like Hull a great deal. It is unfairly neglected, especially when compared to cities like Manchester, which seems to be the darling of people in London.

Hull getting the City of Culture will boost spending and tourism, and other social benefits which can only be a good thing.

I remember when Liverpool won the European capital of Culture in 2008. In spite of a number of issues which left a sour taste for some local people, it was well received. Hopefully Hull can learn from those, and help it go from strength to strength.

And Liverpool is now a superb destination for a break..

Mixed feelings.

I lived there for three years, and wouldn't think it had any culture whatsoever, but it does have cheap bars, cheap taxis, and was a good night out. Perhaps that qualifies as culture?

It also had Spiders, which was the best club ever. :)

Mixed feelings.

I lived there for three years, and wouldn't think it had any culture whatsoever, but it does have cheap bars, cheap taxis, and was a good night out. Perhaps that qualifies as culture?

It also had Spiders, which was the best club ever. :)

Spiders is fantastic.

I also like Hull. Its got some great coastline nearby.

Ah, and that's rather the point. "Hull - it's near some nice places". It's got The Deep as well I suppose. I didn't like it when I went but that was a few years back now.

Ah, and that's rather the point. "Hull - it's near some nice places". It's got The Deep as well I suppose. I didn't like it when I went but that was a few years back now.

Some people say similar when asked what they like about Sheffield.. "It's near the Peak District" :)

Some people say similar when asked what they like about Sheffield.. "It's near the Peak District" :)

That point hadn't escaped me ;);)

Spiders is fantastic.

I was there so often when I lived there! It's the best club I've been to. Those drinks!!