Why are Sheffielder's now so resentful towards 'foreigners'?

It could be a tipping point. I was listening to Radio 4 thought for the day and a Hindu leader was commenting on when he went back to his old school. He reminisced about the days the only brown faces where of him and his 2 brothers. Now the school is nearly half filled with minority groups. There have even been calls by immigrants to the UK for the government to stem the tide.

But his account tells us nothing about whether things were better or worse for him. I can imagine being of only 3 'brown faces' in a white school presented its own challenges 30/40 years ago.

Top fella answered the OP question. Whether you agree or respect his answer doesn't really matter. It is his reason regardless of validity.

Absolutely, they may have been born in Britain but you can bet your bottom dollar they weren't raised with British values, by British parents or mingle with British friends.

Just because someone isn't a foreigner on paper, in my opinion at least, doesn't mean they're not a foreigner at heart. Theoretically I could go to Afghanistan and get citizenship but that doesn't mean I'm going to start making my missus wear a burka and beat her daily.

Top fella answered the OP question. Whether you agree or respect his answer doesn't really matter. It is his reason regardless of validity.

Zamo, you were snorting chalga's drugs last night weren't you?

---------- Post added 07-11-2013 at 11:44 ----------

Absolutely, they may have been born in Britain but you can bet your bottom dollar they weren't raised with British values, by British parents or mingle with British friends.
So someone raised in Britain with British values, by British parents can't be a terrorist?

Let me introduce you to the world of David Copeland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

..I'm sure there are others.

Strong words fella, and some reasonable ones too, but the OP is on about what he sees as resentment to foreigners in Sheffield, not stabbing people or mass murder, let's keep things in perspective.

You are right, it was an emotional response to a discussion that really gets me going. Sorry, the clarification is more like an essay.

The perspective is that there are people in this thread who cite things like:

I've got a slight sour taste still in my mouth from the London bombing........and the lee Rigby murder.......and slightly 9/11.

as a reply to why there might be more resentment to foreigners. Check this list of terrorist attacks in the UK, the first number is the total death toll:

• 270 Pan Am Flight 103 Islamism United Kingdom Lockerbie, Scotland 1988
    52 7 July 2005 London bombings Islamism United Kingdom London 2005
    21 Birmingham pub bombings Irish Republicanism United Kingdom Birmingham 1974
    12 Remembrance Day bombing Irish Republicanism United Kingdom Enniskillen 1987
    12 M62 coach bombing Irish Republicanism United Kingdom Yorkshire 1974
    11 Deal barracks bombing Irish Republicanism United Kingdom Deal 1989
    11 Hyde Park and Regent's Park bombings Irish Republicanism United Kingdom London 1982
    7 1972 Aldershot Bombing Irish Republicanism United Kingdom Aldershot 1972
    6 Harrods bombing Irish Republicanism United Kingdom London 1983
    1 Glasgow Airport Attack Islamism United Kingdom Glasgow 2007
    1 Woolwich attack Islamism United Kingdom London 2013

Lockerbie is attributed to Islamism, which makes it appear in line with Al Qaeda things, in reality it was a Libyan act of war. The majority of deaths is due to 7/7 which is unforgivable, but the majority of attacks was conducted by the IRA.

The reality is that since 7/7 there have been TWO islamist attacks, as a result of which many of my muslim friends can tell you a whole list of racism related incidents, from not getting jobs to being called **** in a derisory tone.

What isn't listed in the list above is the amount of Mosques, islamic community centres and corner shops that have been the victim of racism related attacks.

The reality is that people talk to me about 'them foreigners' because they don't realise I am a foreigner. The reality is that when I tell them I am affronted they go: Oh but you aren't a real foreigner, you are Dutch.

What ignorance like that does is that people who are considered 'foreign' (despite many muslims having been born and raised in this country) feel alienated, this alienation will lead to a strengthening of an us versus them situation, this is the sort of polarization that got an entire nation 'united' in the goal to exterminate anybody that wasn't part of their race, hence the reference to world war 2.

Finally: are things bad in Sheffield? No, although there is growing resentment, just read the thread on the problems in Page Hall, just read some of the replies in this thread, it might be veiled in many cases, but it is there.

Just because someone isn't a foreigner on paper, in my opinion at least, doesn't mean they're not a foreigner at heart. Theoretically I could go to Afghanistan and get citizenship but that doesn't mean I'm going to start making my missus wear a burka and beat her daily.

There you go, not even veiled, well done for illustrating my point. What are British values lad? Are they the same in Sheffield as they are in Manchester as they are in Bradford?

Your entire rhetoric is based on a pre-conceived value system that British is better.

Edited by tzijlstra
addition, it wasnt long enough yet.

The reality is that people talk to me about 'them foreigners' because they don't realise I am a foreigner. The reality is that when I tell them I am affronted they go: Oh but you aren't a real foreigner, you are Dutch.
My experience also, very much so.

Zamo, you were snorting chalga's drugs last night weren't you?

---------- Post added 07-11-2013 at 11:44 ----------

So someone raised in Britain with British values, by British parents can't be a terrorist?

Let me introduce you to the world of David Copeland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

..I'm sure there are others.

I didn't say that, but at the same time, I didn't say that everyone born abroad is a terrorist either.

There you go, not even veiled, well done for illustrating my point. What are British values lad? Are they the same in Sheffield as they are in Manchester as they are in Bradford?

Your entire rhetoric is based on a pre-conceived value system that British is better.

Why have I suggested that British is better, British is just different. We are all equal but all very different and have a different goal.

I emigrated to the UK in 1990, back then many racial tensions in various communities were widely reported, however growing up in a predominantly white middle class suburban district of Manchester I personally never experienced any animosity or threats.

I have lived in the semi-white middle class district of Sharrow Sheffield for the last 7 years, and in my and other friends experiences attitudes and resentment towards us of late have drastically changed.

Due to myself and my 'foreign' friends recently receiving more negative stereotypical comments than ever before, what is this drastic change in Sheffielder's attitudes towards us 'off colour foreigners'?

Most of the foreigners who come here now are scroungers and thieves. What do you want us to do? Great them with open arms? Give them access to free schooling, medication, housing,,,,,oh, wait.

We do all that and they still hate us and everything about us.

Apart from the freebies of course.

Most of the foreigners who come here now are scroungers and thieves. What do you want us to do? Great them with open arms? Give them access to free schooling, medication, housing,,,,,oh, wait.

We do all that and they still hate us and everything about us.

Apart from the freebies of course.

Sssshhhhh, you can't say that, it's racist...it's not PC, let them hate us, it's to be accepted if we want to display a multi-cultural society to the rest of the world.

But his account tells us nothing about whether things were better or worse for him. I can imagine being of only 3 'brown faces' in a white school presented its own challenges 30/40 years ago.

I wasn't trying to highlight any benefit or negativity, just the obvious point that the number of minorities now living in the UK has increased to such an extent it had completely changed the demographic of the school given as an example.

Its a salient point that now people are more aware of immigration as its presences is hard to avoid these days. 30-40 years ago that was not the case and it certainly was not the norm. As people are made aware of it, they form opinions and these can go either way.