Facing Magistrates for someone else's crime

LornaF

Hi,

just want to find out if anyone has been in a similar situation and any advice as getting no where!

My sister received a call a few months ago from a warrant officer about a debt, she has had an on going dispute with Sheffield City Council about council tax which has just been resolved, she assumed the debt was to do with Council Tax so agreed to pay it.

Anyway it then came to light that it wasn't about council tax, and actually about a motoring incident that happened in January 2012. As she agreed to pay, the warrant officer took this as an admission of guilt despite the fact he hadn't told her what the warrant was about.

All correspondence about the incident was posted to her previous address where she hasn't lived since 2010, the incident took place in 2012 so she did not live there at this point.

The council have told her they do not have a record of her tenancy start or end date so can't prove it. The DVLA will not do anything as the case has already gone to magistrates, it seems no one can help.

My sister has never owned the car, has no idea who does and is facing 6 points, a fine and the potential loss of her job over this.

She was a tearaway as a teen, but turned things around, and as she said if she had done it she would admit it. It is causing major stress and worry, she has two young children and has no idea what will happen if she is detained after court.

It's ironic that perverting the course of justice is an offence yet the DVLA can quite happily do this and get away with it!!

So any advice needed, plus if you know anyone driving car registration KY54 HNG, please message me, as if my sister has to take the penalty for a car she never owned, then she will report it stolen as advised by the police. This isn't what she wants, she wants the situation sorting out!!

She changed her license when she moved.

She's just really worried about the whole situation, as neither the DVLA, Sheffield City Council or Magistrates seem to be able to find the correct information!

It's really worrying as this could happen to anyone, thank goodness the incident wasn't more serious or she could face a lot worse.

Hi,

just want to find out if anyone has been in a similar situation and any advice as getting no where!

My sister received a call a few months ago from a warrant officer about a debt, she has had an on going dispute with Sheffield City Council about council tax which has just been resolved, she assumed the debt was to do with Council Tax so agreed to pay it.

Anyway it then came to light that it wasn't about council tax, and actually about a motoring incident that happened in January 2012. As she agreed to pay, the warrant officer took this as an admission of guilt despite the fact he hadn't told her what the warrant was about.

All correspondence about the incident was posted to her previous address where she hasn't lived since 2010, the incident took place in 2012 so she did not live there at this point.

The council have told her they do not have a record of her tenancy start or end date so can't prove it. The DVLA will not do anything as the case has already gone to magistrates, it seems no one can help.

My sister has never owned the car, has no idea who does and is facing 6 points, a fine and the potential loss of her job over this.

She was a tearaway as a teen, but turned things around, and as she said if she had done it she would admit it. It is causing major stress and worry, she has two young children and has no idea what will happen if she is detained after court.

It's ironic that perverting the course of justice is an offence yet the DVLA can quite happily do this and get away with it!!

So any advice needed, plus if you know anyone driving car registration KY54 HNG, please message me, as if my sister has to take the penalty for a car she never owned, then she will report it stolen as advised by the police. This isn't what she wants, she wants the situation sorting out!!

She did own a car during 2012. I'm not sure when she changed address with the DVLA, i'll ask!!

So she didn't own the the car in question but owned another car?

And the car in question has nothing to do with her, and she has no knowledge of it?

Sounds like one of those cases where you attend court and the magistrate give a complete bollocking to the prosecutor and the morons who filed the case.

Simply turn up, and say:

" I have never owned, never driven and never been a passenger in that car"

At which point the judge queries the prosecution and the case completely falls apart.

Feel free to give some abuse to the prosecution on your way out as well.

For reference:

According to the DVLA the car is currently taxed.

According to MID the car is currently insured. It is a VAUXHALL SIGNUM ELITE CDTI (120).

For £4.00 you will be able to find out the insurance details at the time of the incident, you could then forward all documentation to the insurers and have them sort it.

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

jb