Should we ever tell our children that they re fat??

The eye rolling smiley indicated that they thought it was wrong to say the kids were bullying, obviously I wasn't the only one to think it either.

Kids are not as thick skinned as adults, sometimes being direct can be very hurtful and make a person feel like they are bad and unacceptable in some way, a child cannot do much about weight, its the parent that gives the food, what is the point in hurting them? this obsession with weight causes so much hurt and distress and the epidemic of eating disorders that we now have.

I have pointed out more than once where the teacher is wrong so won't bother again if you didn't "get it" before I dont suppose you will now!

I work very closely with children and I can tell you with no shadow of doubt that if there was any real danger of a kid being bullied then the teacher would do all they could to prevent this from happening. The teacher was making an observation and despite the smilie, was merely relating their experience to the forum. I'll tell you that in my huge experience, kids are generally much more thick skinned than adults.

You don't have to agree with me here, I'm just telling like it is so feel free to become the drama queen again and rant on about the 'epidemic of eating disorders that we now have'.

I work very closely with children and I can tell you with no shadow of doubt that if there was any real danger of a kid being bullied then the teacher would do all they could to prevent this from happening. The teacher was making an observation and despite the smilie, was merely relating their experience to the forum. I'll tell you that in my huge experience, kids are generally much more thick skinned than adults.

You don't have to agree with me here, I'm just telling like it is so feel free to become the drama queen again and rant on about the 'epidemic of eating disorders that we now have'.

Drama Queen :hihi: nah, I'm just telling it as it is as well, you may work with Children but it makes you no more an expert than anyone else and you can only speak for yourself...another insensitive school worker that lumps them all together as the same yippee!

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:07 ----------

And you know this how?

Do you work with the actual teacher in question who posted the disgraceful comment, then?

Do you work with the actual teacher in question who posted the disgraceful comment, then?

I don't know. Maybe I do. Isn't the anonymity of the internet a wonderful thing?

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:16 ----------

Drama Queen :hihi: nah, I'm just telling it as it is as well, you may work with Children but it makes you no more an expert than anyone else and you can only speak for yourself...another insensitive school worker that lumps them all together as the same yippee!

Maybe if you'd have paid more attention in school you would be able to construct more coherent sentences. Could you translate this for me please?

Well mine tell me Im fat! :rant:

Same here!

I don't know. Maybe I do. Isn't the anonymity of the internet a wonderful thing?

Maybe if you'd have paid more attention in school you would be able to construct more coherent sentences. Could you translate this for me please?

Yes no problem, I said that you are another insensitive school worker (or what ever) that lumps the children together, meaning that you don't have the sensitivity to see that they are all individuals, I came to that conclusion from your answer before you ask me.

Now my English may not be perfect and I would never pretend that it was but maybe if my teachers had been better I would have learned more...don't you think?

Still what I lack in English skills I make up for in emotional intelligence, perhaps you should try getting some of that, I know which skills I would rather have.

....and condescending and sarcastic to boot!

....and condescending and sarcastic to boot!

Yes, it says a lot about a person that has to resort to that to get their opinion across in my opinion...anything to "win" perhaps.

The point I was making is that it is so normal to be fat nowadays that there is no embrassment attached to it. As a consequence the generations coming through are getting fatter and fatter.

There was a study recently that indicated that the younger generations will not live as long as we currently do because of health issues. We are killing our kids with kindness.

Unfortunately, it has become the norm for kids to be bigger. When my children were younger, I was often told by casual acquaintances how "skinny" they were. (Their pediatrician assured me both were normal weight) Even worse, a couple people asked me if I ever fed them. :confused::rant:

I remember having to buy them both "slim" sized clothing which would have been "normal" sized back when I was a kid.

No way should any child be shamed because of their size, but it troubles me to see kids who can't run and play the way they want to or are out of breath after running 20 feet because they're fat.

Edited by Sierra

Yes, it says a lot about a person that has to resort to that to get their opinion across in my opinion...anything to "win" perhaps.

I am asking you to clarify what you are trying to say as I cannot understand the gibberish you wrote previously. Maybe if you'd be so kind as to explain what this means:

'another insensitive school worker that lumps them all together as the same yippee!'

I am asking you to clarify what you are trying to say as I cannot understand the gibberish you wrote previously. Maybe if you'd be so kind as to explain what this means:

'another insensitive school worker that lumps them all together as the same yippee!'

I just did, if you don't understand then I'm sorry, I really can't be bothered to explain further, reach deep inside and think it through, you never know you might work it out in time.

Yes no problem, I said that you are another insensitive school worker (or what ever) that lumps the children together, meaning that you don't have the sensitivity to see that they are all individuals, I came to that conclusion from your answer before you ask me.

Now my English may not be perfect and I would never pretend that it was but maybe if my teachers had been better I would have learned more...don't you think?

Still what I lack in English skills I make up for in emotional intelligence, perhaps you should try getting some of that, I know which skills I would rather have.

On the basis of me agreeing with a point of view that you do not share you now claim that I am insensitive and cannot recognise that children are individuals. How dare you. You also claim that I am lacking in emotional skills merely because I speak from many years of experience and have a point of view different to yours.

You may want to think about your position as a moderator on this forum. You were rather quick to personalise this discussion rather than argue your point.

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:48 ----------

I just did, if you don't understand then I'm sorry, I really can't be bothered to explain further, reach deep inside and think it through, you never know you might work it out in time.

So you did. Forgive me, I did not see your reply until now.