Porridge or Rice Pudding

BEDROCK

Which do you prefer, I have just had one of those instant microwave sachet porridge things and for a quick and easy meal, it was spot on.

I even added some frozen berries to it and it was a nice contrast to the golden syrup flavour porridge, like a sweet and sour taste.

I do love rice pudding but prefer to use the canned stuff, I love adding strawberry jam to it at the end, very nice.

Maybe next time, I could add some honey or a dash of cinnamon, any sweet spice will do.

Edited by BEDROCK

As this is a foodies slot sachets of instant porridge are hardly in the right place! Might I suggest you buy half a kilo of porridge oats and make your own? It's easiest if you soak a cupful in two cups of water overnight (the oasts will swell and cook more qucikly). Add some milk, salt and sugar (or jam in your bowl) and you will have a better breakfast for pennies.

I do love rice pudding but prefer to use the canned stuff, I love adding strawberry jam to it at the end, very nice.

Maybe next time, I could add some honey or a dash of cinnamon, any sweet spice will do.

A proper baked rice pudding with nutmeg on top, you can't beat it.

2 oz pudding rice

Large knob of butter

2 tablespoons sugar

Pint of whole milk (not skimmed)

Put the whole lot in an ovenproof dish and bake on mark 3 for about two hours, stir it a couple of times in the first hour then grate some nutmeg over the top. Bake until a golden crust has formed.

Instant porridge? It's not far off instant already is it? Only takes 5 minutes or so to boil some oats and make porridge and it's an incredibly cheap food. Probably less than 10p a bowl.

I imagine instant sachets of microwaveable porridge don't come too cheap.

Can't beat porridge this time of year for breakfast. I leave the sugar/salt out and throw blueberries on for sweetness.Oh! and full cream milk.

Rice pudding is ok out of a tin,but, nowhere near as good as mothers thick yellow home-made stuff.

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:56 ----------

Instant porridge? It's not far off instant already is it? Only takes 5 minutes or so to boil some oats and make porridge and it's an incredibly cheap food. Probably less than 10p a bowl.

I imagine instant sachets of microwaveable porridge don't come too cheap.

I would need about 4 sachets per serving.So definitely would be an expensive do.

Get a bag of jumbo oats (Flahavan's Jumbo Oats make lovely porridge). Weigh out 40-50g into a bowl. Add 2 fl oz of semi-skimmed milk and 6fl oz of water. Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds. Sprinkle on some pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds and a few sultanas. Done.

I like my porridge chunky, so the texture of this will be much different to the instant packet stuff.