Wardsend Cemetery, the ghastliest place in Sheffield

There are ghouls and spooks in there, my friend was walking back from the pub one night and he saw them.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Wardsend is my great great grandmothers resting place.

I've never felt uneasy visiting there....spent many hours reading the gravestones in the hope of finding her grave...as yet unfound.

Spooky?

No.

Visit at night?

Maybe not.......

Ghastly? No.

A cemetery with this gravestone can't be bad:

In memory of....

K.

There's a cememtary at the top of church street in Outibridge. It's a beautiful place well kept for and neat without a drop of litter. I spent 20 minutes there when I thought the building there was a church.

There is a beautiful grave plot where a 2 year old who died sometime in the 1950's is buried. Along with both of her parents who died just recently around 2010 i think. At the ages of 80 and 82.

Really did put a lump in my throat.

I have a lot of good friends buried in ther and a lot of my one time neighbours its a nice quiet place to reflect on the past.

I used to live half a mile away from Wardsend across the River Don at the side of where the College is now.I regularly walked through the cemetery as a 12yr old kid in the dark on my way home from visiting schoolpals,I was always on my toes on full alert, at the slightest sound I was off Mo Farrell couldn,t have caught me!.Nothing ever happened it was all in the mind of a kid who had listened to too many spooky ghost storys told by pals who were scared to go anywhere near the place!

I too used to visit the place when I was a lad, many years ago and it was always overgrown then, it looked like then back set of the House of Horrors movie studios. There were stories of grave robbers and ghosts and some proved to be true. I came across this web page that tells some of it's history.

http://underclassrising.net/reports/Wardsend.html

Ghastly? No.

A cemetery with this gravestone can't be bad:

In memory of....

K.

Was that the cause of death ? Lol

"Ghastliest place in Sheffield" ?

You never been to Bradway ?

There's certainly more life in Wardsend.

The cemetary's dilapidation is part of it's charm. Of course, the litter and remnants of stolen copper wiring aren't but I'd like any renovation to preserve it's unique atmosphere. As it stands, it's especially attractive when blanketed with snow.

When I went for a wander around Wardsend, it wasn't so much the thought of things that go bump in the night that gave me an uneasy feeling, it was more the evidence of human neglect / vandalism, and the sound of off-roaders buzzing about the area! Often old graveyards are places of peaceful, gothic beauty, but I didn't feel confident hanging around Wardsend for long.

Edited by Olive

I've been on the tour of the cemetery that the Friends group runs now and again on a Saturday morning and I can highly recommend it for people who want to sample the atmosphere of the place in a group so you don't get mown down by off road bikers, shot by air rifles etc.

I've been on the tour of the cemetery that the Friends group runs now and again on a Saturday morning and I can highly recommend it for people who want to sample the atmosphere of the place in a group so you don't get mown down by off road bikers, shot by air rifles etc.

Yeah, think I might go along sometime. So it's not just me who's put off by the "atmosphere" then!

i'd always wondered where this was until I went to the scrapyard and found it. might have to go on the tour sometime, might feel weird looking around the place alone