Domestic Violence - Get involved or not?

The police had to be called out last night to a domestic violence issue with our next door neighbours! We was woken up to screams from the young girl that stays there with her boyfriend, it really did sound like she was in alot of trouble, these two are forever arguing and usually we ignore them or pull them to one side the next day and see what/when/where/why!! but last night was different, we could hear things being smashed and the girls screams were horrific, and it really made me panic! My boyfriend saw how distressed i was and decided to go round and knock on the door and see if that would settle them down...... It didn't!

As my boyfriend was knocking on the door the girls screams got even more desperate so my boyfriend then started to kick the door in as he was really concerned for this girls welfare, now he didnt quite manage to kick it down (it was a really good door!!!!!) but he has managed to loosen the hinges, but before he could do anymore the police arrived anyway.... So we both went back in our house and left them to it... I believe the police took the girl away but not the lad..! If this is the case then was it all really that bad?? and have we made a mistake by going around there? Have we only caused trouble with the neighbour? will we now be victims of abuse because of this? and even more importantly will we be responsible for the door??? Or did we do the absoulte right thing, whether or not it turned out to be just one big noisy out of control argument is not not better to always check just in case.....:help:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you did the correct thing. As for the door, not sure. I'd be really peed off if I was in your position and ended up having to pay for the door. I would look at it that you were very caring neighbours and would appreciate your intervention just in case it was something more nasty. Well done, I'd be happy if you were my neighbour

You did the right thing ... good for you. I'd do the same too in that situation (although it's hardly gonna happen unless the old lady next door has a fight with her budgie).

Under your circumstances, if something really bad had happened and I'd done nothing about it, I'd find it pretty difficult to come to terms with myself for a long time.

Not too sure about the door though. Perhaps you are responsible for any damage in this weird world we live in. If the boyfriend has any morals though, I'd hardly expect him to have the nerve to press for compensation. :)

A little good news! I have contacted the police (2202020) and explained the situation and given them the incident number etc and i have been told that unless the door is beyond repair then it is not a criminal offence (damage of property!) it is a civil case and therefore not enforceable! I then asked 'well what if it was damaged beyond repair due to the circumstances' and i was told that becuase of the reason the door damaged and the urgency at the time then we should not be held responsible for any charges. Luckily it's not damaged beyond repair but just thought i'd mention that bit for anyone that may find themselves in a simular situation.

I have also contacted the landlords lettings agency of the property and explained the situation etc and they have said we are not to worry about the door and they will take care of it..... Phew!

It's now just a case of how we handle the neighbours going forward! I really hope it's not going to be too awkward and that they understand why we did what we did....

And after seeing the replies i got im definitely glad we did it and i wouldn't hesitate to do it again. (though i hope it doesn't happen again)

That all seems like good news. :)

Re your neighbour? Just go round and talk to him. Dont wait for feelings to build up over a few days and get worse. Go round asap and tell him why you did it. If hes decent hell understand, if hes a tool then your better off not bothering with him full stop.